Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Transmission fluid change

19K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  roastbeef 
#1 ·
Recently Ive noticed I get a little whine around 45 mph or so. It sounds like its coming from the front end, I was thinking maybe a wheel bearing (they need to be serviced soon), but was thinking I should change the fluids anyway (whinig might be from tranny?)

The truck only has 52K miles on it, but the only thing ever really changed was oil.

My question is mostly about the "filter" that Ive seen references to. My dealer will only do a power flush, and doesnt change the filter (its actually a screen). Not quite sure I want them to do a power-flush, and Id prefer the screen get replaced as well, so it looks like I might be DIY-ing this.

Any good source for the screen? Or maybe a part number I can buy from the dealer?

Im going to replace the fluid with the standard Nissan-matic thats recommended per the service manual (Amsoil too expensive for 9 qts!!)

Thanks.

-Chris

#2 ·
if its a screen mesh filter it should last the life of the trans. Also i'd do a drain and refill at 52k. No need for a power flush, unless your fluid is a black color. Most places like to sell power flushes but in reality they just drain and refill it.

#3 ·
Yeah, I actually dont want a powerflush. The problem is I cant depend on someone saying they are going to do it and then just not do it.

If no need to change the filter/screen, Ill just pick up 9 qts of Nissan-matic and do the change myself (I like the tip of just pulling off one of the hoses and running the truck to let the fluid empty itself a little at a time)

Thanks again.

-Chris

#4 ·
you can drain it and drop the pan and clean the magnet off if you want to be really thorough, at 100k, mine was pretty fuzzy looking.
also, the filter is easily replaceable, but from what i understand, you can buy an oem equivalent replacement part at an auto parts store.

that square thing is the filter. i didn't mess with it, but penski knows whats involved in taking it off. looks like just a few bolts to me.

#7 ·
its a lot more then that.

i used about 8 quarts of redline full synthetic high temp atf fluid. expensive, but it has been great. i also have an aftermarket tranny cooler, but that doesn't add much capacity.

#12 ·
We're both V6; I'm willing to bet the difference is because you're 4x4 and I'm 4x2.

ATF CAPACITY
I4 A/T: 8 3/8 qt
V6 4x2 A/T: 8 3/4 qt
V6 4x4 A/T: 9 qt

There's a side-by-side diagram of the transmissions for the V6 on page AT-164 of the '04 FSM. Looks like we have different torque converters.

If you had the front of your truck jacked up when you pulled the pan, that might also explain why you drained more fluid.

#13 ·
i have a slightly larger capacity because of an aftermarket cooler, plus it may have been slightly overfilled, plus my front is a tiny bit higher then my rear on my custom suspension as it sits in the driveway. so i'm not completely nuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.