Transfer case fluid? Tranny or 75w-90 gear fluid? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transfer case fluid? Tranny or 75w-90 gear fluid?

My 2001 4x4 SE owners manual is confusing. What type of fluid goes in the transfer case?
Also: How do you lube the propeller shaft? I can't find any grease fittings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you have an SE you better check to make sure you have or don't have an LSD in the Rear differntial. From what I have researched you may or may not have it. SE came standard with LSD in rear on some models at least 2002-2004.

If you have LSD you need LSD additive. If you are not sure you need to get under your rear and look on the pumpkin for an orange sticker. Or for that matter look over the pumpkin 2 or 3 times. My LSD sticker was covered up with undercoating.

Tranny fluid goes in the transmission whatever you do don't put tranny fluid in your transfer case or vise versa.

I used royal purple for everything. Here are their products and names
Use Max-Gear 75w-90 for front and rear diff
Syncomax - for 4x4 & manual tranny
Max ATF - for automatic tranny.

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. OK, no tranny fluid in the transfer case. What weight of fluid do you use in your transfer case? I believe my truck has the Limited slip differential and I am planning on using Mobil 1 75W-90 syn gear oil this weekend in the front and rear differentials.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrontier2 View Post
Tranny fluid goes in the transmission whatever you do don't put tranny fluid in your transfer case or vise versa.
No offense to Joe but had he looked in his own owner's manual he would have seen that Nissan fills the transfer case with whatever is in the transmission. Thus, you can most certainly fill it with ATF if that is your preference. It is simply for ease of filling and to keep things the same. 75W-90 is fine, synthetic, normal, etc.

ALL SE-V6 trucks in 2001 had the limited slip as standard equipment. Prior to that it was a stand-alone option that was required to add other option packages. There is an orange sticker on the axle housing. That means either running sythetic or a dino-oil with the LSD additive.

The only factory grease fitting is on the front driveshaft near the splined section of the slip joint. It is not a standard nipple fitting, you will need a needle fitting to insert grease into it (after a cleaning, of course, since they collect grime).

The Sleeper: Waking up at a trailhead near YOU!
http://home.sprintmail.com/~onlyone/
It has more mods than I can count or fit on this page. Most of you have a long way to go to catch up... LOL
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

My plan of attack....

Many thanks for this info. I am planning to get under my Frontier this weekend and change all the fluids.
So right now the plan is:
1. Mobil 1 75W-90 in the front and rear (LSD) differentials - no additives needed. (Wow, $11 bucks a quart at AdvanceAuto! Ouch)
2. Drain and fill the ATF transmission fluid in the transfer case - no additive needed
3. Lube the front propeller shaft near the splines with a needle fitting on my grease gun. (Mobil 1 syn grease)

I have a large 1/2 socket wrench and I understand the 1/2 fitting should work in the differential plugs. I just bought this truck and have no idea what it's history is, so I feel better changing these fluids.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyOneDR View Post
No offense to Joe but had he looked in his own owner's manual he would have seen that Nissan fills the transfer case with whatever is in the transmission. Thus, you can most certainly fill it with ATF if that is your preference. It is simply for ease of filling and to keep things the same. 75W-90 is fine, synthetic, normal, etc.
None taken!

Thanks for the info I have never been able to find my find the grease spot on the the shaft anyone have a picture? I've heard before that the grease spot is not there on some. Is that true?

Yeah syn gear oil is going to set you back some $$$. I think my rear diff had around 3 bottles that were needed. And the front I thought was around 2.5 bottles.

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

If you have an auto tranny, put ATF fluid in your transfer case.... If you have a manual, put the same gear fluid in your transfer case.

02 Supercharged Frontier, CrewCab, LongBed, Custom paint, 3" AC/SLR lift, SLR steering, Full exhaust, K&N intake, 1.25" Wheel Adapters. My Truck
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dr Phat
Your post was a little misleading, you only have a rear LSD. Wasnt sure if you knew that. NO Frontier has a LSD stock from Nissan. Didnt want you to put the LSD addative in the front.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrontier2 View Post
None taken!

Thanks for the info I have never been able to find my find the grease spot on the the shaft anyone have a picture? I've heard before that the grease spot is not there on some. Is that true?

Yeah syn gear oil is going to set you back some $$$. I think my rear diff had around 3 bottles that were needed. And the front I thought was around 2.5 bottles.
Grease port (see pictures): Xterra Owners Club: Maintenance question

The Sleeper: Waking up at a trailhead near YOU!
http://home.sprintmail.com/~onlyone/
It has more mods than I can count or fit on this page. Most of you have a long way to go to catch up... LOL
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Thanks for the link to the pictures of the front prop shaft lube spot OnlyOneDR.
I will look under my Frontier and see if there is a bolt. Right now I don't remember seeing one but hopefully it's the same as the Xterra. I like the idea of installing a zerk fitting into the threads of the bolt hole. Very smart...

Cheers...

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.