Timing belt 3.3 V6 - Page 8 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#71 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Timing Belt

Well, I got it all apart and there is an 8" section of the timing belt with no teeth on it so that is the culprit! Just a question for all you knowledgeable folks now. To put the new timing belt on, here is what I believe the alignment should be, please tell me if I'm wrong. Before I took the crank pulley off I made sure it was lined up with the first notch on the left, which in the book should be TDC. On my two cam pulleys, there are punch marks and then there are punch marks on the rear of the timing belt case, so I believe I need to line up those punch marks. Then I should be all set to put the new belt on right? As a check, the distributor should be pointing to cylinder 1's contact right? I believe this is all I need to do to correctly put the belt on. If there is something I am missing, any advice would be appreciated so I don't destroy the thing! Thanks all.

'02 Frontier XE 3.3L V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#72 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AngryMallard
The crank and cams should be heavy enough to where they won't move around after you remove the belt. They all have marks for TDC though, and if you get a Nissan belt for it, the belt has marks that line up with all the marks that are in there already.

When you get on the engine with the breaker bar to turn it over a few times, make sure you put the new belt on first and don't spin the crank without the cams turning too. That's normally common sense but I figure I'd just remind you...

You don't need to remove the spark plugs either. When you crank it over by hand you'll fight compression on the engine but it's no big deal.

'99 XE-V6 KC 4x4
#73 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Also your marks sound like they're lined up properly. I'm not sure about the distributor though. It seems like if cylinder 1 is at TDC, that's when you'd want that cylinder to fire, so the distributor should be lined up to fire that cylinder. You could pull that one plug out to check if you can look down in there and see the top of the piston.

I think I had put on here how many teeth of the timing belt are in between each marking as an extra sanity check. If the old belt is factory though and not in shreds you can transfer the old markings off of that belt onto the new one just to be extra sure.

'99 XE-V6 KC 4x4
#74 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 03:26 AM
Shift_lurker

Still in the process of installing the timing belt in mine.
It was replaced by a auto shop at 110,000.
Since the water pump wasn't replaced I had to take it off in order to install the new water pump.

I noticed when I took the cover off, the Factory Nissan timing belt was installed backwards. The letters and arrow were facing the engine, not the front of the truck :/

Surprisingly, the truck had ran just fine.

I have everything lined up, the belt facing the right way and I am having my mechanic neighbor stop by to check my work in the morning just to make sure I am not messing up anywhere. I can't afford a new engine lol.

2001 Nissan Frontier v6 Desert Runner // Dynomax exhaust, Airbox Mod, K&N drop-in
#75 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Send a message via AIM to adorsey
Well I just replaced mine. I noticed while taking everything apart that the belt was in pretty decent shape but there was A LOT of play with it. I did everything Nissan recommends even though the seals were in perfectly good shape. I also had to replace my radiator and I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter. I don't think the truck as ever had a fuel filter since the stuff I poured out was black as black gets. I also did the distributor cap and rotor just for good measure. I'm right at 109,000 and mine had a lot of slack so make your own judgment on waiting with this.

Good luck guys.

00' Desert Runner V6
Just a few mods....
#76 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorsey View Post
I don't think the truck as ever had a fuel filter since the stuff I poured out was black as black gets.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

'99 XE-V6 KC 4x4
#77 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Send a message via AIM to adorsey
Yeah it was pretty bad. I don't even want to think of what that has done to my engine.

00' Desert Runner V6
Just a few mods....
#78 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Shift_lurker

I just finished doing this. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. This forum was a huge help. Thanks guys.

2001 Frontier 4 Door 3.3
1960 VW Beetle Std
1956 VW Beetle Euro Ragtop, 2276cc
#79 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Shift_Newbie

Timing Belt Attempt #2

Thats right, I'll be changing my timing belt for the second time but not because of miles haha. I changed it at around 140 i think and yeah it was definitely shot. S i put on the new belt and tensioner but i tightened up the belt too much and its been whining for the past 8000 miles. I was hoping it would go away but it never did and i can't stand the noise anymore ha. SO now wiht about 148K im goint o do this again. Might be able to take pics this time. Also, using an impact wrench on the crank bolt is the way to go (never got it off with a breaker bar). Also, MAKE SURE YOU USE THE FEELER GAUGE WHEN SETTING THE TENSIONER so you don't end up like me ha. BTW very helpful sticky and posts guys!
Alec

02 Desert Runner 145k Miles
Magnaflow Duals
BFG TA KO's
Clarion Head Unit
Kicker Door Speakers
2 Kicker CVR 10's & 1150 Kicker Amp
#80 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Shift_Newbie

ahs46,
I was just looking in my Chilton's repair manual concerning these timing belt replacements and it has a bolded note that says:

Also check the tooth design on the camshaft or crankshaft sprockets. Some models may have teeth with a SQUARE edge at the bottom of the sprocket groove, while other models are ROUNDED. The replacement belts are available as either straight-toothed or rounded, and they are NOT interchangeable. Use only a belt that matches the tooth design of your sprockets. Use of the wrong belt will cause whining noise and premature failure.

ahs46, thought maybe your truck's belt was incorrect.
I'm tackling this job right now. It's been a challenge, as I had misplaced my puller and had to fabricate one, then struggled getting the bolts out of the camshaft sprockets so I could replace the seals behind it, then finally had issue getting the seal out of the crankshaft. Hopefully getting it all together tomorrow. My truck had 118,000 miles on it, but the timing belt looked good, no damage but did have a little slack. I decided to do the job when my truck started leaking coolant, most likely the waterpump. I replaced the bypass hose, as well as resealing the gooseneck.

Last edited by 2000DesertRunner; 10-24-2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: added info

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.