Stripped my torsion bar mount - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stripped my torsion bar mount

I had just gotten my swayaway torsion bars all set up and adjusted. On the way home I heard a bang and the whole drivers side suspension dropped to the bump stops. Turns out the mount on the lower arm stripped out. I have heard of this happening before but I can't remember where. Is there a consensus on why this occurs? My first two thoughts are either the torsion bar wasn't seated correctly which I doubt since the rear torsion bar adjustment bolt as well seated which "should" ensure everything is correct. My second guess is too much tension on the torsion bar, which I also doubt. I was using a regular length socket wrench to do the adjustments so I doubt I could have put enough tension on it to strip it. The adjustment bolt wasn't bottomed out although I had just reindexed. Oddly, the ride after reindexing was much more supple than before. Perhaps that additional softness was my bracket slowly stripping itself. FML.

So now what? Should I use the swayaways again or might there be an inherent problem? They were used but in good condition.
it looks like a new bracket is about $51.00 bucks and I MIGHT be able to find one in a junk yard. Not many Frontiers with good fronts out here. Are the longer arms "lift versions" more robust or do they use the same stock torsion bar mount?

2004 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
Ute Ltd Flatbed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You did not seat the t-bar fully in the torque arm. Pretty obvious since it only stripped about half of the spline length. Get a new torque arm and seat the t-bar fully next time. I use a brass drift and a hammer to pop them in. Your t-bar is fine.

Last time I saw someone do this they dropped the nose going over some railroad tracks.

The Sleeper: Waking up at a trailhead near YOU!
http://home.sprintmail.com/~onlyone/
It has more mods than I can count or fit on this page. Most of you have a long way to go to catch up... LOL

Last edited by OnlyOneDR; 02-14-2010 at 06:13 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I was pretty sure about it not being seated, but it appeared to be seated as deeply as the stock one was. Guess not. Do you think that tbar could be resued? I would want a matched set, so that would suck.

Ute Ltd Flatbed
#4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Depending on how fat your wallet is you could go with a long travel kit from Total Chaos. It would get rid of torsion bars completely and require you do buy a set of coil overs. Big bucks are needed for this one though. The kit itself is around 3k and you will need another 1500 in shocks/springs. Not to mention the addition ~2500 for extras like longer shafts if youre 4x4, fiberglass, steering, etc. But then you have one very, very bad a** frontier.

2008 Total Chaos Fabrication

Nissan Parts, Nissan Truck Parts, Nissan Suspension Kits, 4x4 Parts | 4x4parts.comNissan Parts, Nissan Truck Parts, Nissan Suspension Kits, 4x4 Parts | 4x4parts.com
#5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Yea, TC would be perfect but that's just not going to happen. If I choose to lift it now it will just be one of the AC offerings.

Ute Ltd Flatbed
#6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Just ordered a new mount from the dealership, should be here tomorrow.

Ute Ltd Flatbed
#7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline503 View Post
Just ordered a new mount from the dealership, should be here tomorrow.
Sweet. You should be back in business in no time. To your earlier question, if you look at your picture of the stripped torque arm you can see a line down further on the splines. This was about the depth that the original t-bar was seated. Very little of the splines should be sticking out of the torque arm.

The Sleeper: Waking up at a trailhead near YOU!
http://home.sprintmail.com/~onlyone/
It has more mods than I can count or fit on this page. Most of you have a long way to go to catch up... LOL
#8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I got the mount today and got it installed. Back to stock height with the Sway Aways. I found out the the mount on the lower control arm MUST be loose in order to fully seat the -t-bar in both brackets. Otherwise you cant set it in deep enough. Oh well, lesson learned.

Ute Ltd Flatbed
#9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AngryMallard
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyOneDR View Post
You did not seat the t-bar fully in the torque arm. Pretty obvious since it only stripped about half of the spline length.
I know this thread is old but the anchor on the front (if that's where we're talking about) doesn't cover JUST the torsion bar splines, there's also a sort of key on the lower control arm that it matches to. It'd be possible to strip out the splines in the anchor up to the point that the torsion bar ends and this key starts. Also, I may be completely wrong. Just a thought. If I'm right I'd just get a new anchor and use the bars again.

'99 XE-V6 KC 4x4
#10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Send a message via AIM to nutsandboldts05
The Total Chaos kit looks nice, and I'd love to get rid of the Tbars. But, I couldn't afford everything that kit needs, and I want to do an SAS eventually anyway.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.