Speaker wire colors? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speaker wire colors?

I am replacing my speakers in my 2001 CC. The speaker wire colors at the doors are different than the colors at the head unit wire harness. I am not sure which colors are positive/negative. Anyone know the answer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemike View Post
I am replacing my speakers in my 2001 CC. The speaker wire colors at the doors are different than the colors at the head unit wire harness. I am not sure which colors are positive/negative. Anyone know the answer?
it will work ether way, but one will sound significantly better. just lighty hold the ends with the radio on and playing, then touch the wires to the speaker , then alternate and see which one sounds better. ive done 7 vehicles all different from full size trucks to a lil suberu... theryre all different...

Truck: 2002 Aztec RED V6 4X4 XE king cab

Interior: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speakers w/ polk PA330 amp, kicker 6x9 w/ polk PA 330 amp. Husky mats, cobra 29 LX cb radio

Exterior: 2 " BLGYDURATRACS 265/75 R16 on Raceline Raptors wheels, Kobalt tool box, 35% tint
PIAA 510 SMR driving lights DDM tuning HID 55W 6000k , wilson 1000 cb whip

performance: K&N Air & Oil Filter, air intake mod,R1 Concepts slotted rotors,

suspension:1.5" AC shackles on the back and Sway away torsion bars and ultra low profile bump stops on the front, AC idler arm race Bilstein shocks4600's on front , and 5125 on back.Rancho steering stabilizer

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...-redv6-132137/
#3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Shift_Newbie

The one with the black stripe is generally negative polarity. Use a multimeter to double check.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here you go

2001 Nissan Frontier Truck Car Radio Stereo Audio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Pink
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Blue
Car Radio Ground Wire: Gray or Chassis
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Red/Blue
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Red/Yellow
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Violet
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Pink

Here is the link to where I got it
2001 Nissan Frontier Truck Car Radio Stereo Wiring Diagram

2007 KC NISMO-4X Auto Jan 2013 TOTM Desert Camping Truck Round 2
2005 KC SE Auto 4x2 Totaled, missed, loved Desert Camping Truck Round 1
Comprehensive DIY Audio Research/Install Guide
Have things you'd like to get rid of? Trade it! The Barter Thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to glamisdude For This Useful Post:
x_mods (11-19-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Hi - I know this is a bit of an old post, but I am in the same quandry...

The wires listed above and on the site are the wire colors AT THE STEREO, not at the speakers.

Does anyone know which wire is positive and which is negative, AT THE SPEAKERS?

Thanks.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Well, obviously you're not simply getting Nissan speakers to replace these (that's what Nissan would like). Two or three weeks ago my daughter and I replaced the four door speakers in her '98 Pathfinder with Pioneer aftermarket ones. Of course the Nissan proprietary plug is useless for those unless one buys the corresponding receptacle adapter from Crutchfield or similar.

So my daughter soldered the wires to the new speakers onto the Nissan harness. We used the wire with the black stripe as the ground wire in each case (each speaker location), sounds fine.

I did similar in my 2004 Frontier King cab earlier in the year when I replaced its speakers. And about 4 years ago similar with my '98 Frontier regualr cab.

Note that on both 1998s that the speaker cone was no longer attached to the rim of the speaker, it had deteriorated that badly - so 6 out of 6 no longer connected to the rim. at least in the 2004 Frontier they were still connected.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Shift_Hardcore

why solider it to the pins? when you solider it it makes it useless for future nissan speakers? why not just cut before the plug then use the wire? thats what i did haha

Truck: 2002 Aztec RED V6 4X4 XE king cab

Interior: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speakers w/ polk PA330 amp, kicker 6x9 w/ polk PA 330 amp. Husky mats, cobra 29 LX cb radio

Exterior: 2 " BLGYDURATRACS 265/75 R16 on Raceline Raptors wheels, Kobalt tool box, 35% tint
PIAA 510 SMR driving lights DDM tuning HID 55W 6000k , wilson 1000 cb whip

performance: K&N Air & Oil Filter, air intake mod,R1 Concepts slotted rotors,

suspension:1.5" AC shackles on the back and Sway away torsion bars and ultra low profile bump stops on the front, AC idler arm race Bilstein shocks4600's on front , and 5125 on back.Rancho steering stabilizer

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...-redv6-132137/
#8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Speaker-wire colors

Ok... So since I posted last, I got a little more information. The diagram I just posted/attached (not sure what this is going to do when I hit 'post' - lol) is for a 2000 Crew Cab. I believe this should be the same for all the 1st gen CC's. If not, I think at least it answers one question:

It would seem that the negative posts all get attached to the wires with a stripe and the solid wires to the positive post.

Only question remaining and I'll find that out when I get the speakers I ordered, is: How are the terminals marked on the aftermarket speakers?

Anyway, hope the diagram helps someone else...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Speaker wire colors .pdf (195.3 KB, 348 views)
#9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by redv6 View Post
why solider it to the pins? when you solider it it makes it useless for future nissan speakers? why not just cut before the plug then use the wire? thats what i did haha
I don't think many people plan to ever go back to a stock set of speakers after getting aftermarket ones. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of quality aftermarket ones cheaper than anything you can buy from Nissan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hertz For This Useful Post:
shakedownstreet (11-19-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redv6 View Post
Red, I believe you mean "solder". And you didn't read the post correctly: daughter soldered the universal wires that came with the speakers to the Nissan's wires, so the new speakers, or any future speakers, could just simply be plugged in. Basically one strips the insulation a little and wraps the new wire around it, then solders that connection, can still have the Nissan speaker plug there for any future dummies.

No one except a dealer would use Nissan replacement speakers; they're more expensive, and special order, and crummier. If one is able to remove a door panel, installing an aftermarket speaker is pretty straightforward.

When I checked a few years ago, replacement speakers for that '98 Frontier were $65 EACH, and special order.

Maybe soldering (or just spelling) is a lost art these days, but chances are that if you use crimp-type butt connectors and don't take your time, that you or someone else will be going in again to repair some of those. Even the small pink butt connectors are too large for many automotive wires like speaker wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004Frontier View Post
It would seem that the negative posts all get attached to the wires with a stripe and the solid wires to the positive post.
Yes, that's consistent with other vehicles like my '88 Mazda truck. Yes, that diagram makes it easier for others, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004Frontier View Post
Only question remaining and I'll find that out when I get the speakers I ordered, is: How are the terminals marked on the aftermarket speakers?
Oftentimes there will be a + or - sign there as well. This is typically how the are. If you look at the speaker back as if it was a clock dial, then the terminal at the earlier "time" is positive, and the one at the later "time" is negative. So in the picture attached, positive is at about 11 o'clock, and the negative is like two "hours" later at 1 o'clock

Last edited by Cusser; 11-19-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.