Replacing passenger side valve cover gasket - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing passenger side valve cover gasket

So i've looked through the forums for about an hr and found a bit on this subject but still don't have a complete feel for it all.
1) i have located an oil leak and am sure it is coming from the passenger side valve cover gasket, i will put a pic up.
-my dad said/thinks its the head gasket but i've had no coolant loss, no water coming out of the tail pipe...plus the oil leak only comes from the passenger side
2) it looks to me like a pretty simple job and im sure i dont have to take off the intake manifold do i? b/c it looks to me like all i have to do is drain coolant and oil, then remove hose, unplug wires, unscrew top cover, take off clean up, put in new gasket and seal then put back on..am i right? figure a few hrs job
3) i've been fixing my truck for a couple years now due to previous owner not taking care of the truck. this is the last engine problem that needs a fixing.

-in the pic below you will see quite a mess of oil. I've cleaned some up and tried cleaning and tightening screws but that didnt help.

2000 frontier CC SE btw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-21_13-28-43_749.jpg
Views:	1986
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	32060  

Last edited by kjpark; 05-21-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
i have an '01 and replaced both gaskets. the pass side is easy, drivers side, yeah that took a lil' bit longer.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasfrontier View Post
i have an '01 and replaced both gaskets. the pass side is easy, drivers side, yeah that took a lil' bit longer.
all i am planning to do is passenger which is the only leak source, so you didnt need to take intake manifold off right?
-is it pretty much like i said or is there anything else?
#4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Its pretty simple. I had the exact same leak. I pondered just tightening the cover bolts but Im glad I went with the gasket because the original gasket was hard and brittle.

Anyway, its just a matter of pulling the bolts (make sure you remove them completely, I dropped one onto the cylinder head and *almost* forgot about it before putting the cover back on)

You will need to slide off some of the harness back connectors, as the harness hold bracket is on the cover. You'll also need to finagle the hose coming off the front engine side of the cover....not sure what its for but it took a little bit to get it off. Once everything is undone you should be able to jimmy it out from off the head and under all the other hoses/pipes/wires that are in the way.

I noticed that some cover gaskets can be bought without the "grommets". I advise that you DO GET those grommets. The originals were hardened and brittle just like the gasket, so its nice to replace those too
#5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post
Its pretty simple. I had the exact same leak. I pondered just tightening the cover bolts but Im glad I went with the gasket because the original gasket was hard and brittle.

Anyway, its just a matter of pulling the bolts (make sure you remove them completely, I dropped one onto the cylinder head and *almost* forgot about it before putting the cover back on)

You will need to slide off some of the harness back connectors, as the harness hold bracket is on the cover. You'll also need to finagle the hose coming off the front engine side of the cover....not sure what its for but it took a little bit to get it off. Once everything is undone you should be able to jimmy it out from off the head and under all the other hoses/pipes/wires that are in the way.

I noticed that some cover gaskets can be bought without the "grommets". I advise that you DO GET those grommets. The originals were hardened and brittle just like the gasket, so its nice to replace those too
good to know thanks. im guessing you got a new cover too? also did you drain coolant and oil before hand?
#6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpark View Post
good to know thanks. im guessing you got a new cover too? also did you drain coolant and oil before hand?
You are just replacing the valve cover gasket, yes?

If so, no need to drain coolant. If you let the truck sit for a bit, all of the oil will drain back into the pan so no need to drain that either.

No need to buy a new cover either. Almost positive you are going to find a really brittle gasket. And the corner where the oil leak is will have a pretty loose cover bolt....i think the bolt loosens and once the gasket goes brittle it doesnt really "squish" to keep that area sealed anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisexv6 For This Useful Post:
kjpark (05-21-2011)
#7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post
You are just replacing the valve cover gasket, yes?

If so, no need to drain coolant. If you let the truck sit for a bit, all of the oil will drain back into the pan so no need to drain that either.

No need to buy a new cover either. Almost positive you are going to find a really brittle gasket. And the corner where the oil leak is will have a pretty loose cover bolt....i think the bolt loosens and once the gasket goes brittle it doesnt really "squish" to keep that area sealed anymore.
thanks again i think i've got it now...can't wait to fix this damn leak!
-actually one more ha, did u use any sealers with the new gasket or just swap?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpark View Post
thanks again i think i've got it now...can't wait to fix this damn leak!
-actually one more ha, did u use any sealers with the new gasket or just swap?
Nope, no sealant.

The cover had a couple "bends" in it that help hold in the new gasket as you are putting the cover back on, so I didnt even have to use sealant to hold it in.

Good luck

-Chris
#9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
yeah what he said...
#10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Shift_lurker

does all the oil from the leak drips down to the starter? i think i have the same leak. 04 with 65k on it.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.