Questions about my first upgrades - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions about my first upgrades

Been looking and reading for awhile getting plans together for my beast. I'm still undecided, so I'm going to just get a body lift and tires for this winter. I'm looking at 4x4parts 3" body lift and the body liners.

My question is are the body liners really worth the extra cash? Is the gap that noticeable?

The steering shaft extension would be required with the 3" lift, correct?

As far as tires, my buddy works at Tire Barn and is hooking me up with some Fierce Attitudes. I haven't ever heard of the tire, but I don't really know tires lol. Any input on them? I'm keeping my factory 17s and going to test fit 33s after the lift but may end up w 32s.

Any input would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,077 Times in 788 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis
suspension first, body lift 2nd..youre going about it a little backwards. it may be cheaper, but its not the recommended path. unless that is of course that youre only trying to stuff bigger tires, without any care or concern with offroad performance or ground clearance. mall crawlers really just need the BL. and if you have the factory step bars, you wont need the body skirting. the step bars will fill the space in enough that you shouldnt see much of the frame.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Shift_lurker

Lol I have no need for the ground clearance yet. Next year sometime I want to ditch the body lift and go coilovers.

I appreciate the info though! Anyone know if the steering shaft extension is necessary?
#4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
for that much lift...yes, you'll likely need the extension. but why buy all that stuff if you already know in a year youre going to be doing suspension lift and ditching the BL?
#5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I have a 3" BL and the stock steering shaft is fine. No extension required. Wish I didn't have the BL though, paying for 33" rubber gets old.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
I have a 3" BL and the stock steering shaft is fine. No extension required. Wish I didn't have the BL though, paying for 33" rubber gets old.
drop the lift and go back to stock size?
#7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Shift_lurker

I'm not 100% sure when I will go to coilovers, but I would like to upgrade the tires this winter. I live out in the county so roads get bad. We do enjoy having some fun in the creek and fields also. Nothing hardcore yet.

I have a buddy who is looking for a frontier now so whenever I am ready to drop the body lift I'm sure he would buy it so I won't lose much in the end
#8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,015 Posts
the adjustable bils are pretty cheap and with the stock coils you can get enough lift to clear 285s
a bit extra lift with AC or other after market coils
that would get you closer to where you "eventually" want to be for a LOT less work and about the same cost

the extended TJMs are avail and under 400. you'll get extra lift AND some extra travel but you'll most likely get some UCA/coil bucket contact clanking
also, keep in mind that if you are wheeling on a body lift you are more likely to get bed/cab contact during flex

2014 Pro-4x CC Graphite Blue:
Radflo 2.0s w/650# springs, PRG UCAs, 285/75/16 Toyo MTs, Deaver AALs, 5125s, BDGT, Airaid Quickfit CAI, WRP crank pulley, Magnaflow ss 15580, Shrock front winch bumper, sliders and t-case skid, X2O 8 Comp, Factor 55 Pro Link, BTF diff cover, 20" LED light bar, LED map, lic, cargo and BU light conversion, 7-pin relocation, Cobra LX 29 cb

Coming soon:
DT shorties, new DB kit, custom rear suspension goodies from the old rig and everything else...

Nomad's Next Generation
Nomad's Custom BBQ Build You will be missed RIP
DB Lifts; The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Last edited by Nomad 13; 11-06-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: extra info
#9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad 13 View Post
the adjustable bils are pretty cheap and with the stock coils you can get enough lift to clear 285s
a bit extra lift with AC or other after market coils
that would get you closer to where you "eventually" want to be for a LOT less work and about the same cost
This is the first gen hang out. Dudes got a first gen. He would need to buy the total chaos kit or have some custom suspension built to run coil overs.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertz View Post
This is the first gen hang out. Dudes got a first gen. He would need to buy the total chaos kit or have some custom suspension built to run coil overs.
my bad. didn't catch that and he's got no avatar/build list.
Sorry Hooligan, please disregard previous. BL might not be so bad then. the bed/cab contact info still applies though so keep that in mind

2014 Pro-4x CC Graphite Blue:
Radflo 2.0s w/650# springs, PRG UCAs, 285/75/16 Toyo MTs, Deaver AALs, 5125s, BDGT, Airaid Quickfit CAI, WRP crank pulley, Magnaflow ss 15580, Shrock front winch bumper, sliders and t-case skid, X2O 8 Comp, Factor 55 Pro Link, BTF diff cover, 20" LED light bar, LED map, lic, cargo and BU light conversion, 7-pin relocation, Cobra LX 29 cb

Coming soon:
DT shorties, new DB kit, custom rear suspension goodies from the old rig and everything else...

Nomad's Next Generation
Nomad's Custom BBQ Build You will be missed RIP
DB Lifts; The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.