Prestone,Dexcool? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Prestone,Dexcool?

which should i use for my 2k frontier .. i searched btw and dont have a handbook.. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Shift_Hardcore

No dexcool.

2002 Nissan Frontier 4x4 XE 3.3 V6 5-spd Manual, General Grabber A/T2s 265 70R15, Rancho 5000s

Aesthetic Mods: Nature's pinstripes and Lowe's shopping cart dents
#3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Shift_Hardcore

^ Bingo. Dexcool is a crappy red "100K mile" coolant that GM put in a lot of its vehicles. It's terrible stuff and the older variants could only be topped off with more Dexcool. If you put plain old green ethylene-glycol in there it would make a gummy disaster. So that long-winded explanation was summed up as: Use the green stuff.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Dexcool is completely fine, just dont mix it with anything else. Prestone can mix with almost anything. Prestone is green and dexcool is orange. Unless you are flushing, use what you already have.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Given the gunk that was in the cooling system of my 2000 Chevy Blazer at 75,000 miles in 2005, I wouldn't recommend Dexcool to anyone.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Agreed on using Prestone green stuff. And buying 50/50 premix is just plain old stupid, unless there is no water available in your area....
#7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Shift_Fanatic

You people are still hanging on to the old technology (I'm a chemist). The older coolants used silicates and phosphates in the ethylene glycol as lubricant and anti-corrosion additives. These coolants are alkaline and therefore not compatible with aluminum parts.

DexCool is a tradename for ethylene glycol coolant that has potassium 2-ethylhexanoate as its additive (Google DexCool MSDS); this is also called organic acid technology, or OAT. Manufacturers have to pay license fee to call their stuff DexCool or DexCool compatible. I just used Peak coolant in my Yukon which specifies DexCool (GM WANTS your business $$$$) and it clearly states on the container "safe for all vehicles and models" and that it does NOT contain silicates or phosphates. I brought some of the Peak into work, dried off the volatile ethylene glycol and water (50/50 was $1 a gallon at Pep Boys Thanksgiving sale), and the Peak coolant was green, then analyzed the residue by FTIR and then by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.

Guess what: the additive was essentially ALL potassium 2-ethylhexanoate (soap), just like the DexCool !!! And ethylene glycol is ethylene glycol, no matter whose name is on the container. The Peak MSDS search had only stated "proprietary", others state organic acid technology (remember: don't get scared that is says "acid", soap is neutralized organic acid).

Bottom line: if it clearly states on the container "safe for all vehicles and models", then it's essentially identical technology as those that state DexCool. The color doesn't matter, that's 0.02 cents of dye. I'm not sure the old style phosphate-silicate type is even sold any longer.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Have had no issues with premixed Prestone in all my vehicles

2000 Silver Frontier, SE 4x4 V6 Crew Cab (5spd) - 309xxx km and counting!
2014 Cayenne Red Xterra Pro4X (6spd) - 800km!
#9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Cusser sounds like he knows his stuff.

However, here is my experience. Dexcool ate/eats away at plastic gaskets. Any GM engine in the late 90s early 2000's had plastic head gaskets seals and dexcool would eat away at those seals and cause coolant leaks into the oil. The head gaskets were all crap made by Delphi. Later aftermarket parts were being built with a metal on the inside and a rubber gasket on the outside for an all in one gasket. This solved the problem. The other problem people were having is that when they mixed the dexcool with the green it was gooing up in the engine.

You personally could not get me to buy pink dexcool. I know that things may have changed with Dexcool but it has such a bad wrap that it should be dropped from the market. There was so bad information about Dexcool and there will be for years that it's better to go with the coolant that was designed for the engine. THAT IS THE GREEN STUFF.

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
#10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzokie View Post
Agreed on using Prestone green stuff. And buying 50/50 premix is just plain old stupid, unless there is no water available in your area....
Best to use distilled water at about 1.50 per gallon.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.