Oil Leak.. - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak..

Ok, so I have a small oil leak. It has been leaking for about 6 months now, and I just can't take it..It is all underneath around the oil pan, up on the passenger side of the engine and on my driveway. I am looking to fix the leak or leaks, but I am not sure the best way to troubleshoot this. I was told once that I could pressure wash the engine and place cardboard underneath (after it dries) and help determine the leak. Or just start with the oil pan seal and clean up around there. I had a '93 Sentra before this '01 Frontier, and it had the same issue (I replaced the oil pan gasket and it was good after that). It does not leak enough where I need to add any oil though (cold or hot measurements). Anyone share their thoughts/suggestions? The smell of burnt oil is not fun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Shift_lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy0966
It could be your rear main seal or the oil pressure switch. The problem being its been leaking for months so as you drive oil is thrown all over the place making it hard to determine were the leak or leaks are comin from. Id take a degreaser to bottom and clean it as best as possible drive it around the block just enough to let it warm up then park it over some cardboard. Any fresh oil or leaks should be relatively easy to spot.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,213 Posts
Garage
I would suspect the engine oil pressure sending unit. It could be leaking from the threaded area or the body where the plastic is joined to the metal.

Last edited by Zero Six LE; 02-24-2011 at 08:39 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy0966 View Post
It could be your rear main seal or the oil pressure switch. The problem being its been leaking for months so as you drive oil is thrown all over the place making it hard to determine were the leak or leaks are comin from. Id take a degreaser to bottom and clean it as best as possible drive it around the block just enough to let it warm up then park it over some cardboard. Any fresh oil or leaks should be relatively easy to spot.
since the oil is around the oil pan, I would say probably front main seal.
The rear would be around the transmission and back of engine.

How many miles? Mine started leaking around 130K

00KCDRXE
13CC4x4SV
#5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Thanks guys, I will give the degreaser a try on the next dry day we have. My truck is at 133k, which I guess it started around 130 as yours did.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Shift_lurker

Oil pressure sensor is on the driver's side above the oil filter. Doubt that's the issue. If you're really smelling "burnt" oil, I would look above the exhaust manifold at the valve cover.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Agree with Pennbiker. Check the valve cover. The pass side one is a lot easier to get to than the driver side. Try to cinch up the cover bolts a little.
Are you sure it's engine oil? The power steering tank and pump are up high on that side and a leak up there could be blowing back onto the manifold as you go down the road.

Last edited by perry1; 02-28-2011 at 03:50 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

I just looked exactly where you said, and I see oil on both sides...Pictures were taken with my phone, more noticeable in person.

#9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,213 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan_vod View Post
I just looked exactly where you said, and I see oil on both sides...Pictures were taken with my phone, more noticeable in person.

Those are way overdue for replacement. They are hard and brittle. I recently replaced some on my friend's 02 Frontier with a little over 70,000 miles on it.

#10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Both manifold gaskets? As far as I know, no seal/gaskets have been replaced and it is at 132k..Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.