Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Nismo CAI - Bring on the horses

14K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Herbbie H 
#1 · (Edited)
Not too many seem to have the NISMO CAI so I thought that I would post something up. Looks like most have the K&N

Price: < 200$

Installation: Not bad, only issue was the directions that I received seemed to have had a different heat shield than mine. If you can use a screw driver and you can probably add this to your DIY projects.

Sound: Nothing until you step on it. Highway is similar to stock, but when you step on it she growls (MOVE OVER).

Performance: WOW! None of the other mods I have done on the truck really open up the performance at high speeds. This mod is well worth it. The truck has some get up and go around 55 - 65. I passed a slow car tonight and she growled at them to move over.

MPG: (check back I will post any improvement after a fill up)

Side Note: I like when things go from messy to clean. Also like it when working on the truck is easier. This removes a lot of clutter and I like that. I know it's not a big deal but when a mod just adds to the clutter and makes it harder to work on it later, that sucks. However, this one removed the clutter and looks clean.

See less See more
#3 ·
Next mod I would like is the exahust.

I want to pay off the truck first in a couple months so maybe after first of the year. But usually will not work on the truck that much during the winter.

#4 ·
yeah, combine that with the nismo exhaust and it should pep it up pretty good, i ran with my stock exhaust with my intake for about 2 years then decided it was time for exhaust and after that what a diffrence plus the truck sounded better too and the MPG's went up.

#6 ·
I think that anything is better than the stock, as long as MPG goes up too. I ran the truck today and I never heard any difference until I pushed on it. I usually don't drive like that so I never really think the sound is annoying.

.... I really don't know any other CAIs since this is the only one I have ever put on, but like I said before I think anything is better than stock.

I went with NISMO because of cost and it being a Nissan part. But this unit is not made by Nissan its made by another CAI manufacture (or at least that is what I have heard).

I am shooting for 20MPG on this truck. Right now I am/was at 19MPG highway and 15/16 city.

#8 ·
I get like 16 with all the mods :p but then again I have a heavy foot lol

#10 ·
#12 ·
Yeah the picture is not right for the one on their site. The one you would get is the one like they shipped me. I was concerned too that it would not come with the heat shield, but all is well.

#15 ·
I am sure the K&N / Volant / Nismo / etc all work well. There is really nothing too special about any of them. I went with NISMO probably due more to price than anything (but the little NISMO tag is cool). Yes I could have gone with the Air Box Mod 60$, but really felt that I could save some time by just doing the NISMO.

All you are doing is opening up the amount of air coming into the intake. I know there is some debate on COLD AIR vs WARM AIR off the engine and which CAI keeps the air colder and which design is better. However, I felt if is wasn't that important. When you are going down the road you will get Cooler air in no matter if you have heat shield or not. If you are standing still then then you need the heat shield. But it's debatable.

I want better MPG and better passing power. So far it pr oven that I can step on it and it doesn't feel so much like a dog getting around other cars. If I get better mpg then this mod is AWESOME because tell me what mod you can get some HP gain and better gas mileage from under 200$

#16 ·
for around $200 you could get a custom exhaust done at a shop. the majority will be for the muffler, the cost for them to install and make usually isn't too much. I had a friend get single in dual out flowmaster installed on a old ford for $250.

#17 ·
Mine will be just the bolt up NISMO. I can do it myself and the NISMO has the "Y". If I go custom it will be changing the 2nd set of cats to "Test" pipes. The verdict is out on if better performance can be achieved with the 2nd set of cats gone. I have not heard of anyone removing the 2nd set of cats (since a lot of states require emissions testing). I want someone to do it first then they can be the guinea pig.

So far the price on the NISMO is 350.00$ + shipping off 4x4parts.com Hopefully the price does not go up. That I check ebay too.

#22 ·
Really!!??? If thats the case I better buy one stat!

#19 ·
MPG Update:

This is my second 1/4 tank fill up (meaning I filled up when it hit 3/4 full on guage) from around town driving. At the 3/4 full mark I got around 60 - 70 miles. I've see about 15MPG which is about the same. So I would say that city driving does nothing w/ the NISMO intake.

I have not taken it on the highway for a long trip so I will post up later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.