Misfire in cylinder #6 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Misfire in cylinder #6

Firstly I apologize for the long post, however I am going to try and make it as clear as possible as to what I have done so far and what is going on with my truck.

The truck is a 2002 XE Crew cab 4x4 with a 3.3l V6 non supercharged engine. The parts I have replaced so far include the following:
Air Filter
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Distributor cap
Rotor button
Fuel filter
Fuel injector cleaner in the tank

Now for the problem, I have a recurring misfire on cylinder #6, that will set the engine check light. I have a diagnostic scan tool so I am able to clear the code, however it takes less than 1 day to re-occur. After a night of standing usually the first start of the morning the truck idles really rough, at this point no engine check light is flashing or set. The engine continues to warm up and will set the light solid after about 1 minute of idle. If I clear the code with a scan tool I can drive the truck the whole day with stops and starts and it will not set the light. I do however feel the engine running rough when I stop at a traffic light, but it will not set the engine check light nor do I get the light flashing as others report in the forum.

I am at a total loss at this stage apart from tearing the intake plenum apart to check for air leaks or maybe a faulty injector. However I have unplugged other injectors and they do not set a misfire code. Any help at this stage would seriously be appreciated from fellow owners. I am very experienced at rebuilding motors and working on cars and trucks, this one has me fooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

its probably either a bad injector or coil

-2003 Frontier 4x4 CC LB Auto
-1998 Frontier 4x4 KC 5 speed, 3in lift, 8000lb winch, 31in mud terrains. Sold and missed
-2003 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
#3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Shift_Fanatic

pull the plug out and make sure you didn't bend the electrode over during the install.

I work on the dark side. Diesels rule.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Shift_lurker

More updates:

Just pulled #6 plug for the millionth time I am becoming a real pro at it only takes a few minutes. Hooked up my compression gauge and turned the motor over, good news the head gasket is not to blame the compression is perfectly within service manual spec.

I replaced the spark plug which I might add is still in perfect shape and proceeded to inject Sea Foam into the intake, I am waiting a few minutes before starting her up again to let the Sea Foam work. Iam going to check the timing again.

If it was the coil I think the misfire would be more random, it is always on #6 unfortunately.

I agree it is starting to look like the injector is the problem here, might not be spraying a full pattern and causing a lean misfire.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

hi, only ignition related problems will cause your ses light to flash.

If you think an injector is at fault, litsten to all of them using a stethoscope(sp), you should be able to hear them click.

Also if you think you have an air leak, spray brake cleaner or whatever around the IM. You should be able to tell if there's a leak if the engine stumbles when you hit a certain spot.

99 frontier xe
99.5 Maxima SE-L
#6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Shift_lurker

Thanks 1fstmax, I thought of the stethoscope but unfortunately injector #6 is just unreachable without removing the air intake plenum. So no go on checking it while the engine is running.

I will have to do more research on the vacuum leak, again if there was a vacuum in the air intake would the misfire not be more random and not isolated to always being on cylinder #6?

Thanks for all the advice so far guys keep it coming.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Shift_lurker

Just another quick update, dumped a bottle of Gumout Fuel injector cleaner in the tank today in the hopes that the injector might just be dirty. I will give that a few days while I start to price the parts to replace the injector.

As a side note at least this gives me an excuse to finally fix my knock sensor that went out about a year ago, still not looking forward to the loads of work in taking the intake out. Specially not with the 90+ tempretures here in NC at the moment, man I wish I had AC in the garage.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Make sure you reseal your goose neck coolant pipe. This is the pipe that houses the thermostat. I've not seen the back of it personally but from what I here this is a part that leaks and you cannot get to it unless you take off the upper and lower intake. just a thought.

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
#9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

a few years ago a friend of mine had a problem with his maxima. He was getting random miss fire codes, also his engine was running rough. He replaced coil packs, spark plugs, tried various fuel treatsments to no avail. On a whim i suggested to check his fuel pressure. Turns out he was only getting 31 psi outta 51 psi. Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. once we replaced the filter, car ran like a rapped ape.

anywhoo, it's worth a try see what your fp is.

99 frontier xe
99.5 Maxima SE-L
#10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Shift_lurker

Frustrated and annoyed I spent more time last night diagnosing my problem. I did manage to get a stethoscope up on injector #6 and what would you know the injector is ticking like a time bomb. So I guess I ruled out another problem area it does not appear to be the injector.
I then noticed a small 5mm vacuum line at the back of the intake manifold that was ported into the runner tube for cylinder #6 and immediately thought this could be my problem all along. An air leak unique to cylinder #6 I promptly pulled the hose and plugged the port. My excitement was short lived no change.

After all the diagnostics I have performed I sat down and tried to record the exact moments the issue occurs, I noticed a pattern if anyone can shed more light I would appreciate it.

1) The rough idle and stumbling only appears to happen after a long period of sitting with the engine off, for example over night in my garage. When I first start the truck up in the morning and allow it to idle the engine stumbles and runs rough and then throws the misfire code, engine check light is on. However if I clear the light and start the engine cold and then pop the gas 2 or 3 times racing the engine to 3000rpm and then letting it idle again the engine does not stumble and does not throw the code.
2) Second it appears that the code is only thrown when at cold start if I drive the truck stop start though the day on and off, only stopping for an hour or so I don’t get the code.

Something appears to be happening while it is standing for long periods, fuel pressure and drain down does come to mind. Either pump or fuel pressure regulator, however I would expect a more random misfire and again its always on #6.

The investigation continues.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.