Make sure you have the right size battery - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Make sure you have the right size battery

I went to get a tire plugged today and asked for a test on my battery while I was there. It was going bad so went by LameMart since the battery was from there. They tested and agreed to replace under warranty. I check there little book and noticed that the battery that they installed 20 mo. ago was for a 4 banger. Rated at 525CCa and it was now well below 400. They gave me the right battery upgraded and fresh 3yr full warranty for $10. The truck needs min. 575. Now I have 700CCA. The truck starts and runs much better. I think the load under hard acceleration was taxing the weak battery or something because I can feel the difference. With all of the electronics on board the battery really becomes an important link. Pay attention to what people do to your vehicles. It only takes one inexperienced employee to ruin your day, right? Serves me right for leaving it up to the wife to take care of the truck and being lazy. Also thanx for advice from members on MAF sensor cleaning. Did that Sat. and it smoothed things out a bit.

"03 CC XE 3.3L restoring to previous splendor
Torza Top
Rancho 5000s

Future: CAI and exhaust, performance front brakes

'07 FJ Cruiser 4X4 AT (for sale)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is precisely why I try to do everything I can to my own vehicle. Good news on the replacement.

Sorry to get off topic, appropriate story. I pumped gas when I was in high school. A lady stopped stating she had just got an oil change at the local Monroe and her car had been not running well and smoking (and believe me it was.) Popped the hood, there was no oil filter.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertz View Post
This is precisely why I try to do everything I can to my own vehicle. Good news on the replacement.

Sorry to get off topic, appropriate story. I pumped gas when I was in high school. A lady stopped stating she had just got an oil change at the local Monroe and her car had been not running well and smoking (and believe me it was.) Popped the hood, there was no oil filter.
yeah it's sad, but i don't trust any service shops either. one of the few times i had my old '94 in a shop, it took me a few days to realize they left the engine splash guard off. fortunately they were apologetic about it when i returned for it. i have to think the average person would have never caught it

sorta back on topic, i am due to replace my battery anytime now. it's a 5 year old factory battery. there isn't any problem with going overboard with a larger battery than i really need is there? it won't overtax the alternator or anything?

2004 - King Cab - XE - 2.4 Liter - 5 Speed - Super Black
Paddle faster, I hear banjos!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Shift_Newbie

As long as you can fit it in the battery tray. Of course you don't want to add weight that you don't need. If I was not doing warranty I would have went with an Optima. Over $100 but they do have a great reputation. I think they are quite a bit lighter also.

"03 CC XE 3.3L restoring to previous splendor
Torza Top
Rancho 5000s

Future: CAI and exhaust, performance front brakes

'07 FJ Cruiser 4X4 AT (for sale)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DannyD22
My next battery will be an Optima red top for sure...

Traded: '02 Silver Ice CC shortbed XE V6 auto 2wd - Ebay intake, Gibson exhaust, full sound system (///Alpine, JL Audio, MB Quart, Image Dynamics), ebay OEM-style fogs, painted headlight housings, Xentec 6000K hi/lo HID kit, Nokya 2500K H3 fogs, 3" SL (AC 3" AAL, AC front UCA's), custom powdercoated ProComp Stryker 18x9's, Toyo 285/60/18 Open Country AT's, NISMO oil & rad caps.

Gone - '05 350Z 6mt Turbonetics single turbo 400whp/400wtq - R.I.P. 5/23/09

Current: 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec

#6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via Yahoo to carphreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedownstreet View Post
there isn't any problem with going overboard with a larger battery than i really need is there? it won't overtax the alternator or anything?
nope, as long as the CCA is higher or equal to your requirements. we just recently replaced my dad's battery (94 pathfinder) and i was amazed to see that everywhere we went to, the recommended battery was smaller than what was on my dads truck. i guess sometime ago my dad went to get a new battery and that's what they gave them. maybe they ran out of my dads size or something. my dad doesnt even remember. anyway, everyone i talked to told me there is no harm in getting a bigger battery as long as the terminals and CCA are good then you are good. but they all implied that a bigger battery is heavier and might not be worth its weight in the long run....

just as confused as you are
#7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedownstreet View Post
sorta back on topic, i am due to replace my battery anytime now. it's a 5 year old factory battery. there isn't any problem with going overboard with a larger battery than i really need is there? it won't overtax the alternator or anything?
Naw, won't hurt it. I got a 600 something CCA Duralast Gold on my truck and no problems at all. Noticed no starting improvements between the stock 425 to the new one.

2007 Nismo 4x2, 4.0 Auto - Sold

New ride - 2008 VW Jetta SE - 5 Speed manual
#8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 AM
GT4
Shift_Newbie

Yea, my stock Nissan went out after 5 1/2 years. Then this lousy German battery didn't even last a year. I got an Optima Yellow Top now, fits better and works better.

-GT

9 months, 3 weeks and counting.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Guys Optima batteries are not all that great. The walrmat and costco batteries are better. I only say this because consumer reports told me so. You pay extra for the optima because of how over advertised they are.

shakedownstreet- If I were you I would go get a new battery right away. My 03 factory battery up and died this year. Without warning too. Lucky I was at a local service center getting a front end alignment. It would have sucked if I was out and about.

The funny part of going to a larger / better battery is that I don't get so much diesel sound early in the cold morning. I still get clatter but it doesn't seem to go on forever. Odd!

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
#10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I basically threw in the largest battery that they had with correctly placed terminals that would reach my cables. It is rated @ 875/700.

'06 Frontier CC LE 4x4
RollBak G2, brush guard, visors, bug deflector, extra fogs/driving lamps, AEM Brute Force CAI w/ Dryflow.
Jardine/Doug Thorley Catback Exhaust, OEM Garmin Navigation Housing and Nuvi 760, 265/70/17's on factory rims, rear back up sonar.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.