Instrument cluster swap - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Instrument cluster swap

Hello,

I have 1999 Frontier, 4x4, auto, with the non-tach instrument cluster. I've been doing some searches and can't find a definite answer if a swap with an instrument cluster that has a tach is possible. My present cluster is operational, but I hate looking at the empty spot where the tach belongs.

Has anyone done this swap?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

1999 Nissan Frontier XE 4x4
2010 Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 CTD
2011 Toyota Rav4

USAF Retired 1983 - 2003
----------------------------------------------------
Mods: Knock sensor relocation, added OEM foglights, Sony CDXGT340
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Of course it's possible to do a transplant. That's not the problem. The problem is, does your vehicle have the wireing already there for the tach? If not then what? Might be cheaper and easier to get an aftermarket tach kit and install that. Unless you only care about the visual appearance of a tach.

2010 Frontier SE V6 CC LB, built 04-2010, purchased 07-2010
Current mods: OEM foglight kit, Weathertech molded mats, locking gas cap, OEM locking lug nuts, Clarion CX501 and Sirius Connect sc-c1, OEM mud flaps/splash guards, 3in. round blind spot mirrors, Nissan logo valve stem caps, rad/trans cooler bypass, rear axle vent mod, custom lower grill insert using black mesh gutter guard material, OEM auto dim rearview mirror w/temp & compass, OEM hood protector/bug shield, 35% tint on both front windows and a windshield strip, OEM body side molding, OEM step rails, 14in. tall metal radio antenna, OEM front tow hooks (true left and right hook), OEM rope hooks in the bed, OEM special edition emblem added to tailgate.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Download the 1999 service manual from the link on this site. Find the color code for the tachometer wire at the instrument cluster, then disconnect the battery (air bags), wait 30 minutes, then remove panels and pull instrument cluster a few inches rearward to look at the wires, to see if that tach wire is present.

I just did similar on my 2004 Frontier to find the VSS wire on it, for a future aftermarket cruise control installation (I soldered a pigtail wire onto it). That took under 20 minutes.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Shift_lurker

I have a Scan Gauge II so I do have a tach function available. It's more of a cosmetic thing. Plus the plastic on my current cluster is scratched up.

So it is possible that it may be prewired, which is what I was hoping for. When it gets warmer out I'll have to check and see what I have for wiring.

Thanks,
Mark

1999 Nissan Frontier XE 4x4
2010 Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 CTD
2011 Toyota Rav4

USAF Retired 1983 - 2003
----------------------------------------------------
Mods: Knock sensor relocation, added OEM foglights, Sony CDXGT340

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.