Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Improve handling?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  The other Sean 
#1 ·
2002 Desert Runner.

I'd like to improve the handling and steering feel of the truck some... yes I know it'll always be a truck.

Control arms are rusted up so alignment shop can't do an alignment on it, so I assume I need to replace the UCAs. Should I do the lowers at the same time? After that, a good alignment. Will I see a good result from installing polyurethane sway bar bushings?

Anything else I should be looking at?

#2 ·
Do you have a rear anti-sway bar? I replaced the front anti-sway bushings and end links with polyurethane but I put a rear anti-sway in at the same time. There was a dramatic improvement in handling; probably mostly from the addition of the rear.

#4 ·
Yes, the Hellwig in my sig. I believe I bought it through JC Whitney many years ago (11 maybe). Easy installation, has held up great, and made a significant improvement. I think there are threads out there about adding an OE bar to some models because all of the holes and maybe brackets are already in place. My 4cyl wasn't as lucky as I remember, so I went with the Hellwig which was a bolt on.

#5 ·
Tires can make a big difference also. I had Pirrelli Scorpion ATR for a long time and much better handling over stock. I have Faulkens now same size as the Scorpions and it feels like I'm riding in a go kart, on the street. LOL I am going to look into a rear sway bar though, it can always be better, right?

#6 · (Edited)
... I'd like to improve the handling and steering feel of the truck some... yes I know it'll always be a truck.
Very interested in seeing this thread evolve into something useable. Sadly I'm not as tactful or forgiving as Red- The whole "it's a truck" line is pure manure. The Frontier's steering is ****, plain and simple. My 95 Pathfinder seems nearly equal to the 01 SE in both size and weight, and yet I can (literally) do donuts in a parking lot with the Pathfinder using only my pinky finger. Of course, the old Pathy seems to blow the Frontier away in just about every other category as well, which is probably why I'm still driving it around, while the newly purchased ($7k) Frontier stays parked.

So... million dollar question... how do we get a 1st Gen. Frontier to handle like a 1st Gen. Pathfinder? (winner gets a cookie).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.