Idler Arm Issues - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Idler Arm Issues

took the truck in because I was getting this weird floating sensation in the steering wheel when i would go over bumps. It felt a little like the wheels weren't on the ground. the truck would also dance around a bit on the highway as if it were windy out. Mechanic said Idler arm was bad and it needed to be replaced. Now do I need to replace the entire arm or just the bushings? Do the arms themselves wear out? I have never had the arm hit anything so i don't think it got damaged but I don't know if these things have a lifespan or if they are a non-wear item? Do these symptoms sound like idler arm issues to anyone?
thanks in advance

03 aztec red crewcab 4WD.stage 3 UCA'S and 1.5" shackles from SLR. 1.5" Calmini blocks for a total of 3" of lift.Rancho 9000's which are awesome! AR 767 wheels on 4" BS. Air box mod with K&N filter. 31x10.5x15 BFG AT
The Following User Says Thank You to aztecnissan03 For This Useful Post:
t2stone (04-19-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

First gen front suspension is notoriously known for being weak... 95% of the time it is the idler arm. i suggest getting the idlerarm brace and a new idler arm as well ( i dont believe they only sell the bushings for it) of course if you have the money, you can always upgrade to the king kong front end.... 1000x stronger... (you can find it either at total chaos or 4x4parts.com) but it is around 1k....

2011 Camaro SS/RS (my new baby)
2004 XE 2.4l I-4(Sold)
part of The Lifted XE Club!
F.W.O West Coast Chapter

MODS: Calmini Front and rear prerunner bumpers,Total Chaos Long Travel Kit, Shock Hoops, Fox 2.5 coil overs w/ eitbach springs, Fiberglass Fenders, Dever progessive add a leafs, Panasonic CQ-C7303U Clarion 4 channel 400W amp pushing a set of JL audio 6.5 Compents, MA Audio 400w 2 channel amp pushing Kicker Comp 10", XM Radio, Magnaflow 2 1/4 in/out dumped before the axle. 5% tint on rear windows 35% on front windows. 2 guage a-pilar. calmini Bed mounted light bard
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebreed For This Useful Post:
t2stone (04-19-2010)
#3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Shift_Fanatic

yes they sell just the bushings(4x4 parts and bandit 4x4) so can I just replace those?

03 aztec red crewcab 4WD.stage 3 UCA'S and 1.5" shackles from SLR. 1.5" Calmini blocks for a total of 3" of lift.Rancho 9000's which are awesome! AR 767 wheels on 4" BS. Air box mod with K&N filter. 31x10.5x15 BFG AT
#4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

It is possible for the idler arm itself to bend but if you have not been driving it hard its unlikely. I would suggest replace your bushings and get an idler brace and you should be good.

__________________________________________________ __
ROASTBEEF ///////we are not scamming please stop stating lies
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

replace the bushings and get the brace for the ilder arm.... i have a bent ilder arm, but im saving up for the king kong set....

2011 Camaro SS/RS (my new baby)
2004 XE 2.4l I-4(Sold)
part of The Lifted XE Club!
F.W.O West Coast Chapter

MODS: Calmini Front and rear prerunner bumpers,Total Chaos Long Travel Kit, Shock Hoops, Fox 2.5 coil overs w/ eitbach springs, Fiberglass Fenders, Dever progessive add a leafs, Panasonic CQ-C7303U Clarion 4 channel 400W amp pushing a set of JL audio 6.5 Compents, MA Audio 400w 2 channel amp pushing Kicker Comp 10", XM Radio, Magnaflow 2 1/4 in/out dumped before the axle. 5% tint on rear windows 35% on front windows. 2 guage a-pilar. calmini Bed mounted light bard
#6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:43 AM
Shift_Fanatic

firebreed...Why not the SLR system for almost half the price?

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.