Nissan Frontier Forum banner

i screwed something up

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  newbie1kenobie 
#1 · (Edited)
while jumping a wire from my brake lite switch to the bed harness to bypass a short in the dash harness i killed the spark so now the truck turns over fine but no firing. i dont hear any noise from the fuel fill hose to indicate the pump is coming on, should i hear it? i bought a relay for the ignition and the fuel pump but cant find a good place for it, anybody recommend a good service manual? 1998 frontier 4 cyl stick, aftermarket cruz control, runs perfect, usually

#4 ·
The inhibitor wouldn't cause issues communicating with the ECM. I would check the fusible links to make sure you don't blow one, which might cut the power to the ECM, as well as several other items that are powered in the circuit.

#6 ·
On a 2005 GMC Yukon, a blown fuse to the cigarette lighter caused inability to read its ECM. That information was not in the owner's manual or on the fuse designations, learned that online, and it was absolutely true.

So check to see if your brake lights and ECM are on same fuse.

#8 ·
did you download a copy of your year FSM from the link above? It's going to take some digging to find if everything is good to the ECM. I'd start closest to the ECM checking pwr, gnd, enable signal from ECM to fuel pump relay to start. Last I checked, the inhibitor should kill the spark, not the fuel pump.

#9 ·
the friend with the scanner said that the power runs from the distributor to the fuel pump, there is power near the distributor but not to it, i will check there for a short or a fuse

the fsm shows an ignition inhibitor relay to the ecm, i found a relay just above the ecm that i replaced, i will start checking wires there next

#10 ·
found the brain plug loose, the bolt was not even threaded, i guess whoever connected the cruz-cntrl forgot it years ago, i bumped it when i ran the new brakelite wire near it

thanks guys for convincing me it was a simple issue, otherwise i am sure the tech's would have gotten quite a laugh from this one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.