Nissan Frontier Forum

Nissan Frontier Forum (http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/)
-   1st Gen Hangout (http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/)
-   -   How to adjust clutch pedal free play? (http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/how-adjust-clutch-pedal-free-play-40659/)

v8volvo 01-21-2009 02:18 AM

How to adjust clutch pedal free play?

Tried the search on this but nothing came up that specifically had the answer to the question.

My buddy's '98 Frontier (4-banger, 5-speed) is getting hard to shift and clutch pedal free play is large -- pedal seems to travel almost halfway before hitting resistance and starting to act on the clutch mechanism. I guess it must not be fully disengaging, causing the hard shifting/grinding. How is free play adjust on a Frontier? Is there a threaded pushrod shaft at the clutch fork on the bellhousing, like on some cars? Or is there a different adjustment mechanism somewhere? Or dou

Any help would be appreciated! Hoping my buddy's gearbox synchros are still OK... Thanks in advance!

shakedownstreet 01-21-2009 09:10 AM

Before you try adjusting the pedal, make sure the master cylinder is topped off. It's the small one up by the driver's side firewall.

kaulana 01-21-2009 10:04 AM

I've got a 99 6 cyl, mine started doing the same thing about a year ago. I had replaced the clutch master cylinder because it had a small leak so every three days or so the fluid would almost be gone. Check into that first. But there is a rod that connects to the pedal with a pin. You could take the pin out and adjust the rod.

v8volvo 01-21-2009 06:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the master cylinder is the place to start. I appreciate the help!

Zero Six LE 01-21-2009 06:39 PM

There's not much adjusting to a hydraulic clutch.

ochsbeatdown 01-21-2009 07:16 PM

^^ agreed. i read, though, that there is SOME kind of adjustment you can do to it, but it looked so in depth i said F it. my trucks clutch catches waaay too high and i can't STAND it, but it's not worth ripping **** open just to make it catch towards the middle/floor.

shakedownstreet 01-21-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8volvo (Post 621794)
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the master cylinder is the place to start. I appreciate the help!

You can get slave cylinder & master cylinder rebuild kits pretty cheap. And it's relatively easy to do for the backyard/weekend mechanic.

mattv2099 01-21-2009 09:46 PM

You can adjust the pedal throw. As was mentioned, you remove a pin on the pedal then twist the master cylinder plunger. If you've suddenly developed this problem then the fix probably lies elsewhere, such as the master cylinder itself... Check the fluids, bleed the system. Maybe the slave cylinder is bad ???

v8volvo 01-22-2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ochsbeatdown (Post 621828)
^^ agreed. i read, though, that there is SOME kind of adjustment you can do to it, but it looked so in depth i said F it. my trucks clutch catches waaay too high and i can't STAND it, but it's not worth ripping **** open just to make it catch towards the middle/floor.

It sounds like that is the way most of them go as the clutch itself wears. Too high engagement can be annoying but at least it doesn't damage anything -- whereas too low, you start putting a lot of stress on your synchros if the clutch can't fully disengage. This truck grinds sometimes and really doesn't like going into 1st at stoplights, which makes me suspect this is going on.

I agree, it must be something like either low fluid, needing to be bled, or failing seals in either the master or slave cylinder. That will be the first step.

Thanks again for all the help -- had good luck finding great forums for my VW diesels and Volvos but wasn't sure on the Frontier. This is a great place!

mattv2099 01-22-2009 11:49 AM

slave cylinders are relatively inexpensive. I'd start there. Buy a new slave and bleed the system.