High Idle, then Low. - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Idle, then Low.

I replaced my TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) on my truck since it was a bad sensor, cost about $100 or so. Once i replaced it, my truck idled at 2000 RPMs, it always seemed to stay like this and whenever i shift it into drive the RPMs drop down to about 1000, more or less. After i replaced the TPS, i had to replace the Knock Sensor since it was bad also.

Is this normal? My instructor said that it should be back to normal once i drive it around for the knock and TPS sensor to adjust.

2001 Nissan Frontier XE 3.3L V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Did you replace the knock sensor in the stock location? If so, are you sure nothing was damaged or left disconnected during reassembly? Also note that the TPS can be physically adjusted, it's not something you simply install and forget. Consult a service manual for adjustment procedures if you haven't already.

2002 XE CC LB 4x4
1984 720 KC 4x4
#3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Riz
Shift_Newbie

I also had this problem when I adjusted my idle. I did the adjustment to reset my idle because it seemed to idle around 1100 rpm. After I did the adjustment it took a couple of days and now after the engine is warm it idles nice and smooth at about 700 rpm. I would give it a couple days and see what happens. The pcm has to relearn with the new sensor installed. You can buy a Haynes Repair Manual and it will tell you everything about the TPS and how to adjust it.

Last edited by Riz; 11-17-2011 at 11:55 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Shift_lurker

Knock sensor is in the same location as it was before, in the intake. I checked the connectors before I put the new sensor in. Connections were good, but the knock sensor was bad. I do know that it can be physically adjusted, i tried this and it just pushed my RPMs higher. I turned my TPS so that it wouldn't open the throttle or keep it open, and it just sat at 2000 RPMs, so if i adjust the TPS to open the throttle, it pushes the RPMs higher. I have a Haynes Repair Manual sitting in my garage, didn't think they would have anything about a TPS, I'll look that up. Thanks! I have an EVAP something malfunction code, i believe its a P0450. Would that have anything to deal with a high idle? EVAP is dealing with fuel, right?

2001 Nissan Frontier XE 3.3L V6

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.