LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help w/ Setting Timing

What is the correct procedure to set timing on a 2001 VG33ER?

I've done this once before, it was something like unplug TPS, hold RPM at 2000 for 2 minutes, jump up and down twice while holding left hand in air... Honestly I don't remember the procedure, but I believe it had to be followed to set base timing correctly.

I've got my knock sensor bypassed, and I'm noticing a hint of preignition in lower RPM, high boost conditions (2600rpm or so). Last time I set the base timing, I put it right around -13.5 degrees BTDC to account for Colorado elevation.

Now that I'm close to sea level, I believe I need the correct -10 degrees BTDC (+/- 2 degrees). Perhaps someone with a factory service manual (or familiar with this procedure) could help me out some. Many thanks in advance.

2001 Frontier S/C 4x4 Crew Cab - Nismo Cat-back, K&N Intake, 275/60/17 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Send a message via AIM to mudpunisher
I'm 99% sure you let the engine warm up to operating temp then undo the tps sensor and hold the vehicle at 2k rpm to set timing

No Limit 4x4 - Myspace
Mudspace
MY SAS thread - http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/s...ad.php?t=16214

2002 XE 2wd, 130000k miles, torsion bar removal mod
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could someone be 100% positive on how to set the timing I would like to know also since I did the knock sensor mod too.

Cheers

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpunisher View Post
I'm 99% sure you let the engine warm up to operating temp then undo the tps sensor and hold the vehicle at 2k rpm to set timing
Nope, it had to do with holding the RPM at 2k for a period of time, then revving past 3k (?), and back to idle, at which you set the timing. I don't remember exactly but it was something along these lines.

I remember trying to set timing without following the correct procedure as outlined in the factory service manual, and it was impossible as the ECU is constantly adjusting timing when not in base timing mode.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Here it is:

2. CHECK IGNITION TIMING

1. Run engine at about 2,000 rpm for about 2 minutes under no-load.
2. Rev engine (2,000 to 3,000 rpm) two or three times under noload,
then run engine at idle speed.
3. Turn off engine and disconnect throttle position sensor harness
connector.
4. Start and rev engine (2,000 to 3,000 rpm) two or three times
under no-load, then run at idle speed.
5. Check ignition timing with a timing light.

OK or NG
OK >> GO TO 4.
NG >> GO TO 3.

3. ADJUST IGNITION TIMING
1. Adjust ignition timing by turning distributor after loosening securing bolts.
2. Turn off engine and connect throttle position sensor harness
connector to throttle position sensor.
>> GO TO 2.

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Thanks, it worked beautifully.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Shift_Obsessed

2001frontiersc

Can you tell me what you did to set your timing? Did you see a different? What was the timing to begin with and what did you have to do change it exactly?

Good Links -
Factory Service Manuals
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrontier2 View Post
2001frontiersc
Can you tell me what you did to set your timing? Did you see a different? What was the timing to begin with and what did you have to do change it exactly?
I changed the factory timing from the normal -10 BTDC to -13.5 BTDC originally while living in Colorado, as the thinner air at higher elevation permits a bit more advancement on the timing. The advanced timing can help maximize fuel economy, increase power, and ensure fuel is ignited most efficiently.

Now that I'm back to sea level and after having done the knock sensor bypass, it's imperative to have correct timing because the engine has no way of detecting spark knock, which occurs when the timing is too far advanced. What happens is the spark plug ignites the fuel/air mixture while the piston is still traveling upwards. Very bad things can happen, like holes in pistons.

You can hear the spark knock as a harsh "rattling sound" under heavy throttle, usually at lower RPMs. I was hearing this at times, so I changed the timing to 9 degrees BTDC which is within the factory spec of 10 BTDC +/- 2 degees. It fixed the problem as there is no more pinging.

You just undo the bolt near the distributor cap. After having performed the procedure above (letting the engine warm up, revving it and such), you first shine your timing light down at the arrow that points to the crankshaft pulley. In the crankshaft pulley itself are five notches indicating from left to right 0 - 5 - 10 - 15 - 20. They are not labeled, but the center notch is correct value. The timing light will only light up when the spark plug fires, and it's so quick that it will show you exactly where on those indicators that the spark plug is firing. Then just turn the distributor either clockwise or counterclockwise to change the timing while looking at the notches w/ the light to see what the changes are doing. Find your desired setting, then screw the bolt back down. And you're done.

Hope this helps.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.