harmonic balancer and alternator went bad - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to live2hunt718
harmonic balancer and alternator went bad

so I was talking to my dad today, he took my truck to our local mechanic to have one of the pulleys replaced and our mech told my dad that my harmonic balancer is bad for my truck, and my alternator was almost shot.

I've got about 130XXX miles on the truck last time i saw it. Any of y'all had any problems with this? I told him to just hold off on replacing the alt i can replace that myself. Last time I drove the truck back in december of 08 I had absolutely no problems with it. My brother has driven it a couple of times since ive been in iraq just to keep her company, but no offroading or hard driving since i last drove it. I'm just wondering if y'all had any problems with this and around how many miles did it happen?

04 fronty CC 4x4
Shrock works bull bar
Flowmaster exaust
K&N cold air
Super Star CB
Wilson Antenna
2" Body lift
3'' sus
I have the 4x4 parts headers, just havent installed them yet

On the way
bigger tires tbd
Looking into a universal tuner, if you have one plz pm me and let me know how you like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HarshReality001
someone on LINXC had the balancer go bad. made some ugly chirp at startup, but other than that didnt seem too bad. dont know the mileage but he's pushing about 106k now and it was a year ago (but his truck sat for most of last year).

it happens.

get it fixed before it wrecks your crank and/or bearings.

o, and it's a PITA. he had to pull the radiator to get enough space to move around and get the puller in there. good luck.

2010 Corolla S Blue Streak Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody View Post
you might have the record as fastest to fubar'd
CarDomain / Gallery / LINXC

Check out my XC Road Trip Pics

Last edited by HarshReality001; 09-11-2009 at 09:15 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Shift_Newbie

yea, since i aint home im just going to have the mech fix it. I'm not sure if it went bad b/c i hit 3 deer last year, or from riding it hard at the hunting club. Who knows. I'm hoping he'ss wrong about the alt but im going to wait until im home on that one.

04 fronty CC 4x4
Shrock works bull bar
Flowmaster exaust
K&N cold air
Super Star CB
Wilson Antenna
2" Body lift
3'' sus
I have the 4x4 parts headers, just havent installed them yet

On the way
bigger tires tbd
Looking into a universal tuner, if you have one plz pm me and let me know how you like it.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Shift_Obsessed

3 deer? Are you just unlucky or are deer in your area suicidal

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
#5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Shift_Newbie

if you ask me suicidal. Those 3 deer arent counting the ones that hit me. haha i guess they are tired of life. i fliped one over the body after an evening of hunting, already had 2 deer in the bed and added a third from hitting it, thats why i decided to put the shrock works bumper on, i got tired of paying for the stock one. i had 2 run into the side of my truck, but those were just baseball sized dents easily fixed. I hope that the new bumper will prevent major damage to the front in the future
#6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Deer are the most deadly animal in North America.

HBs going bad are very uncommon but not impossible. The rubber vulcanized to the steel breaks loose and as mentioned above can make some noise. Rarely is it a serious driveability issue unless it spins so bad that it will not power the accessory belt drives.

The alternators are low and in a compromised position. High water/mud crossing usually do then in, although a splash of crud in the right places will also kill them. I recommend hosing it out first before completely condemning it if it was recently dunked.

The Sleeper: Waking up at a trailhead near YOU!
http://home.sprintmail.com/~onlyone/
It has more mods than I can count or fit on this page. Most of you have a long way to go to catch up... LOL

Last edited by OnlyOneDR; 09-13-2009 at 04:14 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyOneDR View Post
The alternators are low and in a compromised position. High water/mud crossing usually do then in, although a splash of crud in the right places will also kill them. I recommend hosing it out first before completely condemning it if it was recently dunked.
I have no splash guard, and the alternator makes a whirring noise. After some flash flooding I drove through some big puddles but thought nothing of it.

Are you saying to wash it out with water, or to blast it from the outside with electrical cleaner spray? .. do most people have problems with mud or has simple "dirty" rain water caused people problems too?

... I'm actually having problems finding a replacement alternator for my 4cyl, so cleaning/repairing would be great, if possible

2004 Frontier XE 4cyl -- plain jane work truck

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.