First gen engine swap - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First gen engine swap

Can you fit a Vh41de engine in a 03 Nissan frontier, and also has anyone built a vg34e engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's one of those if-you-have-to-ask-the-answer-is-no questions. If you know what it takes to do something like a motor swap then you don't need to ask "will this motor fit in my truck?"

You can "fit" just about any motor in nearly anything. How practical it is ends up being the real question. ANY motor swap (Nissan motor or not) is going to require a ton of custom work as nothing is going to bolt up, plug in, or fit right. You aren't going to get one single person to reply to this thread and tell you exactly what you need to do to fit motor xyz in your first gen because NOBODY has done it.

Here's a thread about the theoretical vg34e. A simple search found this one for me.
Vg34e
#3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Well I'm lookin to actually buy another vg33e and rebuild it to get more power, do they make any stroker kits or more power rebuild kits?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjd516 View Post
Well I'm lookin to actually buy another vg33e and rebuild it to get more power, do they make any stroker kits or more power rebuild kits?
lol

#5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer
NYJD

Our trucks are meant for off roading

not power

even with the vg34 build, you aren't getting anything that a 2nd gen frontier can't give you.

With that said, one day I'd like to have a vg34 once I retire my truck to "toy" status.

#6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Shift_Newbie

ok if your looking for more power for your frontier, there are several links on youtube that show the old hardbodies with small block chevy engines in them. with that being said the frontier has more room under the hood and so it should be easier. with that being said if you want more power find an LS motor and figure out how to drop it in. if they can squeeze one into a miata then it will fit in our trucks. hope that helps, only try it if you have the skills, tools, know how, and the time, money, patience, and another daily driver.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Shift_Newbie

Garage
You could also look at the VQ35DE out of the 350z.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
best v6 upgrade would be wither vq35 or vq40, but coming up on one of those with a transmission for under a few grand is highly doubtful.

#9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnegri2 View Post
best v6 upgrade would be wither vq35 or vq40, but coming up on one of those with a transmission for under a few grand is highly doubtful.
There is a guy that is selling his vq40 in the parts section for 500 right now, he may have his transmission still too you never know

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrontier01 View Post
There is a guy that is selling his vq40 in the parts section for 500 right now, he may have his transmission still too you never know

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I saw that. He said he took it out of his second gen because it wasn't running right, supposedly rebuilt it then put a 5.6 in instead and never ran the VQ. So who knows what you'd be getting into there. But for 500 I guess that isn't bad.

Even so, regardless of what motor you would decided to use. There's a ton of crap that would need to be figured out. Mounts, cross members, exhaust, etc. Then the wiring, even something simple like a carbureted SBC would be a wiring nightmare if you're not experienced in that sort of thing.
Bottom line is: While it absolutely without a doubt can be done, **** just doesn't bolt in and plug in, not even close. I just feel like people don't realize that and don't get just how much work (and money) something like that really is. And if you don't realize it then you sure as hell aren't qualified or experienced enough to complete it correctly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hertz For This Useful Post:
Mountaineer (10-04-2012), sianotias (10-04-2012)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.