Exhaust question - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why did you combine the glass packs and the muffler? Is the muffler way to loud by itself with the secondary cats removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Yeah. At first I simply ran 2.25" off the stock manifolds to the muffler and out of the truck. It was loud, nasty, raspy and simply awful sounding.

I had the that 3" glasspack laying around so I added that after the muffler. That mellowed things out a bit but it was still obnoxious.

Then I added the two 2.25" glasspacks before the muffler. I am finally happy with the exhaust note. Don't get me wrong, I love a loud, aggressive exhaust system (I ride a back-firing, crack on decel Harley and love it) , but its really hard to put a dual exhaust system on a V6 and have it sound decent. I think I've got the right combo on the Frontier finally.

Here it is with just the muffler. All blatty. I thought I liked it at first. It wore on me pretty quick.

Last edited by speedfoos; 09-18-2012 at 09:48 PM.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

So you replaced the cats with glass packs, I see and yea I just want a v8 sound on the louder side but not annoying on the highway
#14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Ish. The glasspacks are right before the muffler which is in about the same place the stocker was.
#15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
That's like putting 2.5" exhaust on an old 3-cylinder Geo metro. Way overkill.
LOL, that brings back the memories LOL (not the exhaust but the metro, I had one in high school and I only filled it once a month thanks to the 53 city and 72 highway)

Current Collection:
09 Honda Civic SI Sedan (Wife's car again/track car on weekends now lol)
10 Nissan Frontier Pro4X Crew Cab
(Calmini 5" Lift with Sway A Way 2.5's, 2" PRG Deaver, AFE Stage 2 Intake system, Banks Monster Exhaust system, Superchips tuned, Pro Comp 8089 Wheels, 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac, Procomp series 152 street lock off road wheels wrapped in 285/75/16 destination m/t's, Trail Ridge Offroad Custom Sliders & rear tube bumper)

VOTE FOR ME FOR TOTM
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...k-month-91249/
#16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Yea that clip sounded a little raspy, I just want a nice smooth rimble like a v8
#17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjd516 View Post
Yea that clip sounded a little raspy, I just want a nice smooth rimble like a v8
LOL then you're going to need to trade your truck in on something with a V8 or put one in your Frontier. You will never get that kind of sound out of that motor. That clip speedfoos posted is how these things sound. If you don't want raspy then the last thing you want to do is throw some too big for the motor 3" piping on there. That will just make it worse.

Last edited by Hertz; 09-24-2012 at 12:17 AM.
#18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Guess I have some Trial and error to do with different types of mufflers
#19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Before you buy any mufflers hollow out your cats and reinstall them. I have a Ford contour with a v6 stock it came with two precats from the mani then Y-piped to another cat then a resonator then a muffler. Quite and restictive. now it has three empty cats and a resonator. It sounded great and cost $0.00. My father drove it for a while and put a muffler on the back to quite it down. Plus after removing the guts gas MPG went up 2 MPG. so before you buy and you know you are going to replace it try the no cost option. My 2c.
The Following User Says Thank You to My04Front For This Useful Post:
Nyjd516 (12-19-2012)
#20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
Yeah. At first I simply ran 2.25" off the stock manifolds to the muffler and out of the truck. It was loud, nasty, raspy and simply awful sounding.

I had the that 3" glasspack laying around so I added that after the muffler. That mellowed things out a bit but it was still obnoxious.

Then I added the two 2.25" glasspacks before the muffler. I am finally happy with the exhaust note. Don't get me wrong, I love a loud, aggressive exhaust system (I ride a back-firing, crack on decel Harley and love it) , but its really hard to put a dual exhaust system on a V6 and have it sound decent. I think I've got the right combo on the Frontier finally.

Here it is with just the muffler. All blatty. I thought I liked it at first. It wore on me pretty quick.

2004 Frontier Edelbrock SDT - YouTube
Speed, do you happen to have any audio clips of it after you added the glass? I'm pretty sure my exhaust and muffler have had it, and I'm just beginning my research into exhaust systems. I actually thought the video of just the muffler sounded pretty decent until it got into the higher rpm's. Performance gains? MPG gains, losses?

Any info you wouldn't mind bestowing on me about exhaust systems for our trucks would be appreciated. I'm replacing the stock exhaust. Wanting to go with something a little higher-ended, but nothing "extreme."

2002 Nissan Frontier 4x4 XE 3.3 V6 5-spd Manual, General Grabber A/T2s 265 70R15, Rancho 5000s

Aesthetic Mods: Nature's pinstripes and Lowe's shopping cart dents

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.