Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Engine R&R questions/suggestions

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  smj999smj 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm pulling the engine in a couple weeks to fix some nagging issues. I've got an oil leak somewhere below (rear main or oil pan) and since it's 7 hours for rear main and 11 hours for oil pan, I've decided to pull the motor (14 hours) and tackle both. I'm gonna replace front main as well as the timing belt and water pump.

I've got to replace the passenger side exhaust manifold and am contemplating using the PaceSetter catted manifolds instead of the Dorman oem style. I'm in CA so not sure they'll fly with emission standards, so there's also something I need to verify first. What are your thoughts/opinions on this? CA owners please respond!

I've got over 243k miles on it, and will be passing it on to my son in two years, hence the major overhaul now. It is a 2002 SC 4x4 Crew LB with a Calmini lift (not Sas). What else would you do while the engine is out?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

#2 ·
Is it leaking coolant? Im (still) doing the timing belt on my '01 and knew it was leaking coolant, so I ordered all of the rubber hoses that go under the plenum along with new intake manifold gaskets. I know yours is SC but Id look at any hoses and gaskets for the intake while the whole thing is out (its a PITA getting to some of the stuff at the back of the engine once its in the truck)

#3 ·
No, it's not leaking any coolant. I replaced the timing belt when I did the knock sensor a few years ago, so I'm only halfway to when I'd need it replaced, but since I'll have it out, I figured might as well... top end I replaced gaskets as I had to take of the intake manifold and supercharger, so I'm gonna leave that alone if I can.

#6 ·
It's an automatic. No KS codes, only codes I ever get these days are C1113 Longitudinal G-Sensor Circuit and lower bank O2 sensor. I'm replacing all 4 O2 sensors, but gonna live with the longitudinal fault.

#7 ·

#8 ·
I've heard some bad reviews on the Pacesetters in regards to build quality. Better choice would be Dough Thorley Headers, however, they won't pass CA emission standards. I think you may be stuck with the factory style manifolds, like Dormans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.