Educate me on lifts - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Educate me on lifts

I'm considering getting a lift on my truck, but just for the looks. I don't go off roading, I just think trucks tend to look a little better if they sit higher. I don't want a big lift though. What are my options? I looked around the site and I saw a lot of 3 inch lifts, but that seems higher than I had in mind. Do lifts chage the ride quality at all?
Thanks in advance for helping a lift noob figure all of this out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Never mind. Just realized you have a 1st gen.

2010 P4X CC: 2.5in/2in Lift (ADF&PRG), SPC UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Xoskel Bumper Mouth Bracket w/ 4 Rigid Industries Duallys, Superchips Tuned 93 Performance w/WOT Removed & 2* timing advance, Kool Vue CAI, Rear Axle Vent Mod, Bakflip G2, Radiator bypass, LED conversion.
In Progress: Coilovers, Titan parts, WRP Pulley (in hand), IMS, exhaust.
Axle Vent Mod & Radiator Bypass
South Jersey
#3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
You must not have looked around enough...

If you want just a little bit of lift then do what they call a poor mans lift (pml). All it requires is you cranking the torsion bars for the front (free) and putting either an add a leaf, shackles, or blocks in the back. it will cost you less than 100 bucks and give about 1-2 inches of lift. There is plenty of info on the forum about it so look a little harder.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Shift_Obsessed

first priority is educating you about the SEARCH function.

next priority is educating you about the significance of STICKIES

then educating you about the following useful thread 1st Gen FAQ...PLEASE READ. ADD INPUT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoomzoom For This Useful Post:
Hertz (11-10-2012), youngfronty (11-10-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom View Post
first priority is educating you about the SEARCH function.

next priority is educating you about the significance of STICKIES

then educating you about the following useful thread 1st Gen FAQ...PLEASE READ. ADD INPUT
You always come back with some sort of snarky comment like that that isn't as clever or as helpful as you act like it is. The stickies didn't mention lifts and am I just supposed to read through dozens of pages HOPING someone MIGHT address my specific question?
You don't have to respond to a question you don't think is interesting.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
The stickies didn't mention lifts
REALLY? the first gen sticky can't get any more specific than that.

copy and pasted from the sticky linked above

FRONT SUSPENSION

The 1st gen frontier has the ability to adjust ride height via "pre-loading" the torsion bars... or as its better known as.... adjusting or cranking them.... Basically the torsion bar is a spring... It is connected to the LCA (lower control arm) in the front of your truck, and connected to a crossmember and adjuster in the central area of your truck. If you look under the truck, you will see on each side, just inside of the frame rails, a long bar that extends back from the LCA.. thats your torsion bar...

ALL LIFTS with the exception of very high dollar SAS or Coil Over conversion lift your truck via a torsion bar crank... Some kits have the option of upgrading to aftermarket torsion bars, but this is NOT needed.. some prefer, some prefer stock bars... The stock torsion bars have more than enough ability to give you well over the maximum 3+" of lift.

LIFT OPTIONS...

0" to 2" - You can simply adjust your torsion bars...
2.5" to 3" - You can either purchase a complete lift kit, or purchase aftermarket UCA's

To adjust your torsion bars... You simply jack up the front end of your truck, secure it with the wheels slightly off the ground, to remove any tension on the front suspension, and tighten the adjuster bolts.. There are two 19mm nuts on the top of the adjuster bolt... the top being a lock nut... simply loosen the top nut, then tightned the adjuster bolt to adjust ride height... lower truck, measure... and repeat untill you have desired height.... REMEMBER.... you want a minimum of 1/2" of room between the bottom of your UCA, and the bump stop which is below it.....

or click here for some detailed instructions with pictures...TorsionBarWriteUp

It is said to always get an alighnment after adjusting torsion bars, however in MOST cases, it will not effect your alignmnt, however this is YOUR CHOICE... if it needs the alignment, GET IT DONE.

You always have the option of purchasing a lift "kit" that is complete with all that is needed... However there are lots of people who do the lifts in steps... Lots of people start off with a simple torsion bar adjustment, then decide they want more.... Here are your options...

1) Add aftermarket UCA's. Basically as you adjust the height of your truck with your stock UCA's, the angle that they sit changes, which also changes the ball joint angle and slightly changes your camber. Aftermarket UCA's DO NOT ACTUALLY LIFT YOUR TRUCK... The torsion bars do... The aftermarket UCA's are simply designed at a differant angle, so that when the truck is adjusted by 2.5-3", the ball joint angles, and your camber are at the correct points... There are several options, and most of them are in the $350.00 range.

AS I UNDERSTAND IT... Now keep in mind, because we use torsion bars, there is the ability to adjust... but... the lift amounts below are what I've come to understand the aftermarket UCA's to be designed to provide...

AC (4x4parts) and Rancho - 2.5"... both of these are almost identical.
Calmini and SLR Econ's - 3"... both of these are almost the same exact design.
SLR Stage series - 3" plus added down travel....

STOCK TORSION BARS VS. AFTERMARKET

Aftermarket torsion bars are basically the same thing, except they have a higher spring rate... Basically they are stiffer... Some like this, as they feel them to be stronger, some don't because its said that the stock bars will flex better... This is 100% a matter of personal preferance...They are NOT needed to achieve the lfit..

RE-INDEX - In the even that you are adjusting your torsion bars, and the adjuster bolts run out of adjusting room.. (the brackets they go through have no more movement available)... you can reindex the stock bars... Basically the ends of the bars are splined... you simply remove the adjuster bolt, back the bars out of the ends... rotate them by 1 or 2 splines, which will give you the extra ability to adjust higher...

SHOCKS... With a simple torsion bar adjustment, its not requried to upgrade shocks, but lots of people do.... If you are lifting to the 2.5 to 3" range... you will need to upgrade...

Now... There are wide spread comments on the good/bad effects of adjusting your torsion bars.... As most of us have found... There really is no DOWN side to doing this....

Will your truck's ride get stiffer due to adjusting the torsion bars? NO!.. however people do tend to say it does... And the reason has little to do with the torsion bars, but more in the fact that they are adjusting to much. When you adjust your torsion bars for more lift, you are changing the angles that your control arms sit. Just under your UCA (upper control arm) there is a little black rubber bump stop. This is there so that when the front end goes up, and the wheels "droop" or drop down, it prevents the suspension from drooping to far, and causing your CV's (axles) to bind, and possibly brake. Normally when you go over a bump, your front suspension has plenty of room to travel before that bump stop, so it never actually contacts it. But by lifting more than 1.5-2" this way, you are causing the front end to contact those stops more than regular, resulting in what seems to be a stiff ride. Worn out shocks can also play a part in this, however the simple answer, is distance between UCA and bump stop... You can purchase "low profile" bump stops from Nissan Parts, Nissan Truck Parts, Nissan Suspension Kits, 4x4 Parts | 4x4parts.com which can help with some of this.

REAR SUSPENSION....

you have 3 basic options....

1) Blocks
2) Shackles
3) AAL's (add a leaf) or custom leaf packs.

I personally don't like blocks.. but they work... but i won't go into details on the

SHACKLES... You have several options... the aftermarket parts places listed do sell them... OR... AutoZone and several other places do sell universal ones that can be used for aprox $14.00... The aftermarket ones available are stronger, but the universal ones are usable... Shackles will provide the most flex of all these options...

AAL's.. they sell Add A Leafs that range from cheaper 1pc to more exspensive 3pc sets... This is the BEST way.. however they don't flex as good as shackles, so lots of people combine shackes and aal's..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoomzoom For This Useful Post:
Hertz (11-10-2012), Mhannis (11-10-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Mildly pwned...

Keep in mind that you've got to feed the rubber beast with a lift otherwise it looks a mite silly. I've got a 3" BL on my 2WD mallcrawler and can't really get away with anything other than a 33" tire.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 816 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis Send a message via Yahoo to Mhannis Send a message via Skype™ to Mhannis
Quote:
You always come back with some sort of snarky comment like that that isn't as clever or as helpful as you act like it is. The stickies didn't mention lifts and am I just supposed to read through dozens of pages HOPING someone MIGHT address my specific question?
youve been around long enough to know that zoomzoom always comes back with a snarky comment but not long enough to know that yes...you are suppose to look through the dozen or so pages of info hoping someone answers your question..because thats what research is. if you dont like sifting, the search function can be used to get more specific information, try variations to the key phrases you use to locate the information. with as old a model as the first gen is..most problems and questions have been addressed..you cant really start a thread like "educate me on lifts" in a first gen forum and not expect people to just supply links to where you can find the information. because you reading it for yourself takes a lot less time than anyone else retyping it all so you can read it from them. sorry mate..thats life.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
The stickies didn't mention lifts and am I just supposed to read through dozens of pages HOPING someone MIGHT address my specific question?
The first gen faq DOES mention lifts. Are we all just supposed to sit down and reply to these dozens of repeat threads when the information is already laid out relatively well in a post at the top of the page? Do yourself, and all of us, a favor, take some time and read through that sticky. You might actually learn something about your truck. If everyone would just do that instead of making a new thread wanting others to spoon feed the information to them we could have a lot more interesting threads which this one most definitely is not.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Quote:
I'm considering getting a lift on my truck, but just for the looks. I don't go off roading, I just think trucks tend to look a little better if they sit higher.
Just do a body lift it's 2" or 3" inches and slide in some 31's,32's or a skinny 33's.

But remember if it looks tuff then people will what to see how tuff. And then they challenge you to go off road. And then you go to fast and then end up in the ditch. And then your stuck.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.