Easy to remove factory CD stereo - 2002? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Easy to remove factory CD stereo - 2002?

How hard is it to get the factory unit out? Will probably end up putting a new unit in, to gain aux/USB inputs and ability to add rear speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Shift_Obsessed

It's really simple -

If you have a 4x4 the shifter knob is hard to spin off first. Then the plastic bezel around gear shifter is easy to do but be careful with the plastic. You need to carefully unsnap the four snaps around the bottom of the bezel by placing a wide flat metal piece (screw driver) and prying the snaps apart. Then there are two screws under the radio and then careful by pulling on the top bezel. This top bezel will unsnap come off around the AC controls and upper vents.

After that it's four screws to get the radio out.

Note bottom bezel needs be removed out first.

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals

Last edited by joefrontier2; 09-03-2012 at 03:16 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Actually the truck is for my son, he will home soon from AIT. I've been working my butt off making this truck as good-as-new as possible. I think he will be pleased; it's a great truck. But I am sure he will want nicer tunes. I am going to recommend he goes to Crutchfield, they will set him up with a new head unit that plugs into the factory harness and will also let him add rear speakers as well as aux and USB inputs.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Shift_Hardcore

not hard. i highly recommend alpine speakers for everything. normally 100 a set of 2. so for replacing the front speakers, and adding rear it would be 200.... trust me ive done alot of different cars. and ive had problems with kenwood speakers, and kicker definitely stay away from sony speakers. their sub woofers are great but there other spears suffer in clarity.. a kenwood HU is affordable i would recommend the one i have it was $150 and does as much as the more expensive alpines HU i normally put in trucks. that cost $550-650....

my HU is a kenwood excelon 395

Truck: 2002 Aztec RED V6 4X4 XE king cab

Interior: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speakers w/ polk PA330 amp, kicker 6x9 w/ polk PA 330 amp. Husky mats, cobra 29 LX cb radio

Exterior: 2 " BLGYDURATRACS 265/75 R16 on Raceline Raptors wheels, Kobalt tool box, 35% tint
PIAA 510 SMR driving lights DDM tuning HID 55W 6000k , wilson 1000 cb whip

performance: K&N Air & Oil Filter, air intake mod,R1 Concepts slotted rotors,

suspension:1.5" AC shackles on the back and Sway away torsion bars and ultra low profile bump stops on the front, AC idler arm race Bilstein shocks4600's on front , and 5125 on back.Rancho steering stabilizer

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...-redv6-132137/
#5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by redv6 View Post
not hard. i highly recommend alpine speakers for everything. normally 100 a set of 2. so for replacing the front speakers, and adding rear it would be 200.... trust me ive done alot of different cars. and ive had problems with kenwood speakers, and kicker definitely stay away from sony speakers. their sub woofers are great but there other spears suffer in clarity.. a kenwood HU is affordable i would recommend the one i have it was $150 and does as much as the more expensive alpines HU i normally put in trucks. that cost $550-650....

my HU is a kenwood excelon 395
What you may think sounds good others may think sounds like crap. Personally I am a huge fan of Kenwood speakers, they are in a reasonable budget and they sound good.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrontier01 View Post
What you may think sounds good others may think sounds like crap. Personally I am a huge fan of Kenwood speakers, they are in a reasonable budget and they sound good.
im going from sound, but also the fact that ive had them break on other peoples stuff. look at the readings and the specs the alpines are better in the same money class... not comparing cheap kenwoods, and expensive alpines but same price alpines and the same price kenwoods, the alpines are a little better

Truck: 2002 Aztec RED V6 4X4 XE king cab

Interior: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speakers w/ polk PA330 amp, kicker 6x9 w/ polk PA 330 amp. Husky mats, cobra 29 LX cb radio

Exterior: 2 " BLGYDURATRACS 265/75 R16 on Raceline Raptors wheels, Kobalt tool box, 35% tint
PIAA 510 SMR driving lights DDM tuning HID 55W 6000k , wilson 1000 cb whip

performance: K&N Air & Oil Filter, air intake mod,R1 Concepts slotted rotors,

suspension:1.5" AC shackles on the back and Sway away torsion bars and ultra low profile bump stops on the front, AC idler arm race Bilstein shocks4600's on front , and 5125 on back.Rancho steering stabilizer

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...-redv6-132137/
#7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Shift_Hardcore

We're gonna leave the stock speakers intact... too much history of people butchering door panels that are never right again.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SE View Post
We're gonna leave the stock speakers intact... too much history of people butchering door panels that are never right again.
I wouldn't worry about that. Think of how many times a door panel is taken off on a vehicle everyday. Of course there will be horror stories on such a common process. The key is to not just blindly stick a flat blade screw driver in there and pry away. Find each snap point and gently pry from as close to the snap point as possible. If they don't un-snap easily, dont go straight to prying harder. Maybe try to pry from the other side of the snap, work angles, be gentle and patient. I've installed systems in numerous different models. They all have their quirks to get everything to come off smoothly, but the biggest difference is the condition of the plastic. If you get in there and the first clip you try to pry off breaks, maybe everything is a bit too brittle to be messing with. I'd see how far you can get without breaking anything, you might just get through an entire audio swap flawlessly.

A tip: If you don't have a specific tool to pry trim pieces off (the forked type that fits around the snaps) and use a big flat blade screw driver like myself, wrap a paper towel around the end to keep from marring any surfaces.

2012 Pro-4x CC
Mods: Bilstein 5100/OME coils, Shackles/Bilstein 5125, Hefty Sliders, BFG 255/85r16 KM2's, Tinted windows, LEDs (interior, cargo, backup), Amsoil Ea filter
Pipe Dream: Custom bumpers, Calmini/Titan swap with full length coilovers, Alcan rear springs
#9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
I agree with RedV6. I'm currently running a pair of Alpine door Speakers and the sound quality is great. If your looking for a sub I'd suggest a Kicker Comp I've got a 12" in the back and man does it kick (No pun intend) Often the review mirror is shaking so much I can't see out of it.

2005, King Cab, Storm Grey, SE, V6
All Day Fab: 2.5" Spacers Front, 1.5" Shackles Rear

TOTALED: 2003, Super Black,King Cab, XE, 4 cyl Frontier
Exterior: Calmini Pre-Runner front bumper, 2" body lift, Bilstein shocks.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Shift_Fanatic

i put in a new $99 jvc unit from crutchfield and left factory speakers alone. i was really surprised how much better it sounds

2004 - King Cab - XE - 2.4 Liter - 5 Speed - Super Black
Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.