Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Disabled Automatic AC on w/defrost - 2003/2004

27K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  Elchuzo 
#1 ·
I really did not care so much if the AC came on with the defrost, but after discussions on this board and verifying it on my 2003, the AC will stay on until you turn off the truck or the fan. This is such a silly engineering design in that the AC stays on even when you switch off defrost.

So last night I fixed it. Now I have to press the AC button if I want the AC on w/defrost.

If you have big hands you will need to find someone to do this for you.

At least on the 2003/2004 you have to remove the glove box and the housing around the radio and gear shift. Removing the radio housing will allow you to get a couple fingers at the screwdriver to hold it while your other hand can turn it.

Once you have the housings off you need to look up under the dash where the glove box was to the back of the AC controls. Now turn the A/C knob to defrost and watch how the mechanical system works when you do it. You will see the plastic mechanism move to the right and trip a switch. The switch is black and looks about the size of a piece of Chiclets gum with two green wires coming off it.

This is the switch you need to remove. So get the smallest screwdriver you can find and undo the screw (this is a pain). Once off, I do not recomend letting it dangle because if it were to ever get wedge into something back there your A/C would be on all the time. I took the switched turned it around and put the screw back in it.

There all done, full control of the AC.

See less See more
#4 ·
It's the same stupid setup for the 05+ trucks. I have been a little frustrated with the setup, and I think someday I will go to the trouble of hooking up a switch to the compressor fuse instead of tearing into the dash. Anybody think this would be a decent alternative?

#5 · (Edited)
Personally I would not modify the electrical system if it all possible. Reason is because this mod is a simple removal of a switch. However, I do not know the 2005+ model and could be a royal pain to get the dash apart. The reason I say this is because on the 1st gen the AC controls do not come out unless you tear down the whole dash. The housing around the radio and AC controls is all one unit but the A/C controls are behind more plastic which requires a full tear down. It's just so lucky that there is a small enough access by removing the glove box that you can get to it.

I agree that this is a poor design. However, they build these vehicles for the person that just wants things to work without going through all the hassle of thinking to turn on the AC to defrost windows. I think they should have built it to automatically come on and show the illuminated light but when you switch it off the AC gets turn off.

#6 ·
This is going to be done to my truck soon/!!!! I HATE having the ac pump running all the time while the defrost is on.. These things have little enough power as it is. Let alone when the AC pump is cranking!!

#8 ·
LOL I just looked at my 01 and It looks to be 2 screws.. thats it! But my dash is way different than yours Im sure.. Plus Im a 5spd...

#13 ·
Oh sure that's true. But if I see moisture building up, I am perfectly capable of pushing the AC button & turning it back off once the excess moisture clears. It takes very little time to clear up.

That's why I drive a stick. I prefer to be in control. I could see having such automatic features in a huge V8 luxury Cadillac, but it's certainly unneeded in these little trucks.

#11 ·
Yes you are correct the AC helps clear moisture from the inside, however, with this mod I push the AC button instead of it coming on automatically and not turning off when I move the knob to a different setting.

#12 ·
On the 4 cyl. vehicles, having the a/c compressor on constantly while using defrosters greatly effects gas mileage and just isn't needed to be on. I'm not really sure why Nissan started doing this. Before this "feature", I never had a problem with the windows fogging up as long as I had the defrosters on and had it on "fresh air".

#15 ·
4 cyl's??? My 6 opens its mouth and drinks when that damn compressor turns on...

#14 ·
For all of you who have 05+ Fronty's, do you agree with me that the control knob might be 100% electrical? When I turn it, it feels that way to me, like all contacts, no mechanical things happening behind the knob. The reason I ask is that it would be a difficult proposition (atleast for me) to figure out how to disable the automatic A/C by messing with the control knob. Any guesses out there?

#16 ·
Anxiously waiting for a reasonable bypass option for 05's. I like having my controls set to defrost all the time, i just hate runnignthe A/C when I do't want A/C dehumidification.

#17 ·
I recently removed the switch on my 2000 xe 4cyl king cab that does the same thing (turns on the ac when any of the defrost settings are chosen, including the mixed floor/defrost). It was quite simple and I pretty similar to what you described here.

#18 ·
another AC mod write up w/ pics

Greetings All,

First off thanks to JoeFrontier2 for the original post. Being a cold regions lover, this "feature" has bothered me for years on various vehicles.

So here's a wordy how-to for a 2003 manual CC LB 4x4

I recommend disconnecting the vehicle ground before working around airbags. $0.02

Pull the 6 screws holding on the glove box, you can leave your junk in there as it will come out in one piece. Pull the left side out first and then there's a friction fit tab on the upper right side.

Now would be a great time to replace the cabin air filter. I was disappointed to see that mine was missing and there was a bunch of pine needles in its place. The air filter cover has some brittle plastic tabs holding it in place, remove carefully, as I broke a tab in the process. Anybody know if you can drop the bottom off of that housing and leave the rest of it in place?

The plastic cover around the shifter pulls straight up, leave it dangling by the fabric boots.

Remove the two screws holding down the lower portion of the radio housing. Two more screws hold the cover on just above the radio. Pull up on the lower right and left portion of the cover (I had to give it a good tug) and then pull the top part out and back. It can dangle also (and will still be connected through the cigarette lighter)

Now put your head where your passengers feet would be and look up at the switch.

Get that tiny philips screwdriver out and do your mechanic yoga to get it on the screw. you can watch it/guide it from the front. I put a little funnel of tinfoil around the screw driver so the screw couldn't drop into oblivion.

I am not nearly as dextrous as Joefrontier2, because there was no way I was going to "turn it around" and put the damn thing back.

The switch is closed at rest, so I decided just to solder the wires together apply some heat shrink and be done.

And now I too get to decide when the AC comes on.

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to get the images to come up inline with the text.

Attachments

#45 ·
#20 ·
If i'm understanding it right, you just completely cut the switch out of the system, correct?

I'll probably understand better once I get the dash apart and actually see the setup, but what is meant by just "turning the switch around" to eliminate the connection?

#21 ·
all you need to do is to unscrew the switch and then turn it around. When it is turned around then it the pressure switch can no longer be engaged with from the knob on the AC. You'll see what I mean when you get the glovebox out and look up towards the switch

#23 ·
Got it, now I'll have another project to accompany the installation of the NISMO exhaust I have coming - so STOKED!

#24 ·
oh I'm jealous! I've been wanting the nismo exahust.

#26 · (Edited)
Well, I finished this mod - flipped the switch around instead of soldering. I gotta say, I never knew that Nissan interiors were built so stout. That was a pain to get the center panels out. Unfortunately, now I'm down one console light and my airbag indicator flashes constantly. I'll have to check on that in a few days.

Joe,
When you flipped your switch, did you face the open side to the left or right? I turned mine to face the firewall and now the compressor comes on for every setting. I may try to turn the switch over so the metal is facing down.

#27 ·
Hey now, glad I found this how-to ! Just bought my fronty last month. I generally only want the AC compressor running when there's fog condensation on the windshield. I would rather just run the defrost with heat only when the glass has ice or frost on the outside which seems to be just about every morning lately.

Before the mod, Every morning when I started my truck and defrosted the windshield, the AC compressor would still run after I switched it to regular heat. The only way it would stop is if I turned the truck off and started it back up again. NOT doing that every morning !

I pulled the switch and turned it around so nothing touches it.

Thanks again for this awesome heads-up !

#28 ·
I wonder if the original owner of my tuck did this fix. I have full control of my a/c and I like it that way.

Come to think of if my old Accord did this but it was digital and it was annoying. If I turned the def on I would have to turn the a/c off.

#29 ·
I was mistaken my a/c does come on in defrost mode. I thought the A/c Light would have came on with it but I guess it doesnt. I can hear the compressor kicking on so its time to do this mode. I have taken apart the dash where the a/c controls are but I have never taken the glove box off.

Can you give me a few tips on removing it?

#30 · (Edited)
Can you give me a few tips on removing it?
With the glove box door closed, remove two screws at the bottom, far right and left. With the door open, remove 4 screws and metal latch.

I have automatic transmission. The plastic surround around the shift handle does not have any screws, just squeeze the outside to the middle and lift up.

The upper plastic trim piece has two screws down low, they were covered by the lower plastic surround piece. Remove two more screws just above radio. Remove screws and pull out to release the tabs.

I did mine last weekend, soldered the green wires that are top right of the control knob, just because it was easier than getting to the switch. Be careful to not drop hot solder down into the switch mechanism.

Perhaps you shouldn't listen to me. I just checked and have two extra screws left over.

#31 ·
I did it this morning. I think this could be done either way. Either remove the glove box and undo the switch or remove the CD player shroud and snip the wires. I removed the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.