Dealership cheaper!! - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dealership cheaper!!

As most of you that have been reading and responding to my posts (which is very much appreciated) know that when I completed my clutch job I put the wrong oil in the manual transmission. I used a GL-4 140 gear oil which has been way to thick and caused a lot of rough and hard shifting since finishing the clutch job yesterday. I was looking online for the specific GL-4 75w-90 oil that nissan calls for and found it for 15 dollars a bottle from AMSOIL. Just to see if that was the best deal I called the local Nissan dealership here in Charleston, SC and inquired on what it costs for a quart of manual trans gear oil. I got quoted back at 12 dollar per quart. I asked the parts guy if the gear oils used in the late model Nissan trucks is a GL-4 or GL-5. He said that the bottle that they carry does now specify if it is GL-4 or Gl-5, but it is the genuine Nissan manual trans fluid. I figured ill just go with the dealership stuff since it is cheaper and I wont have to pay for shipping. Anyone know if even the late model Nissans still use a GL-4 from the factory? I just can't afford to put the wrong stuff in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Shift_Obsessed

THe dealer is most likey goign to sell you this stuff: nissan MTF
Nissan OEM Manual Transmission Fluid MTF 75W85 - 999MP-MTF00P
It is good fluid for your truck. What year is your truck? Though it is not synthic and why it is cheaper than the amsoil. At $12 bucks they are marking it up already.

BTW amsoil does not work well in a 05+ frontier. If you want to go sny, redline IMO is the best tranny fluid for nissans.

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/
#3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Shift_Fanatic

i wasn't willing to buy from the dealer because they could not say without a doubt it was gl4 & not gl5

i felt better just getting the amsoil

2004 - King Cab - XE - 2.4 Liter - 5 Speed - Super Black
Paddle faster, I hear banjos!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 4,238 Times in 2,387 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The Nissan MTF is GL-4. It should be on the bottle...I can check later.

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed
#5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Shift_lurker

Were you ever able to find out if the factory stuff is GL-4? I am also wondering if I need to do a few other things to the clutch as well. The pedal is pretty soft compared to what it felt like before and the pressure point or catch point of the clutch is starting to feel like it is back to where it was prior to clutch replacement. Should I adjust it at the pedal? Should I replace the slave cylinder? When I was bleeding the clutch after the replacement was done I did notice that when my dad held the clutch pedal to the floor that the slave would push the fork then come back just a bit. Also how much travel should there be on the shift fork on the bell housing? Any help would be appreciated. BTW my truck is 98 Frontier 4x4 2.4liter

Last edited by RyanBrown; 11-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBrown View Post
Were you ever able to find out if the factory stuff is GL-4?
It actually doesn't say on the bottle, which surprises me. If you Google it, you'll find several web sites listing it as GL-4. I'm sure that it's GL-4. The 2nd gens call for GL-4, and the Nissan MTF is listed in the owner's manual as the recommended fluid. I wouldn't have put it in my truck if I had any doubts. Not sure how reassuring that is to you.

-Jennifer

Suspension Lift Info 05+

#7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Shift_lurker

Im sure that it is a GL-4. I appreciate you looking into that for me. Im gonna go and pick some up today and see if it helps with the shifting. The oil I put in there was rather thick and it was 60 degrees outside at the time I filled it so I can only imagine how thick it was this morning when I left and it was 32 degrees out. Only problem I am really worried about today is that the pedal is soft. I don't know if it is from the replaced pressure plate being soft or if I need to make some more adjustments somewhere else or have the slave replaced entirely. The truck isn't grinding at all during shifts its just hard to get in an out of gear from what I believe to be the wrong trans gear oil. Also the catch point doesnt really seem to feel that much different than the clutch I pulled out that ha nearly 120K on it. I guess if I am still having issues with it after I replace the gear oil then ill try replacing the slave.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Hopefully having the wrong viscosity in there is a big part of your problem. I wish I knew enough about clutches to give you some more advice. Good luck!

-Jennifer

Suspension Lift Info 05+

#9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Shift_lurker

shifts 100% different now with the OEM oil. Thanks for the help guys
#10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBrown View Post
shifts 100% different now with the OEM oil. Thanks for the help guys

Great to hear that you were successful in your project. I assume that your truck is a 1st gen (98-04) Frontier. I have an 04 and am going to be replacing the MT oil soon. I have looked for the MT fluid required for the job and concluded that the Amsoil ($10.50/qt) is cheaper than the Nissan non-synthetic at $12.49/qt.

When you changed your fluid, did you remember to use thread sealer like this:

Buy Permatex High-Temperature Thread Sealant 59214 at Advance Auto Parts

... and how long did the job take? Thanks ...

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.