Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Change fluids or not to change fluids

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  whistler 
#1 ·
So my truck is a 2000 Desert Runner with around 148k on it. The internal debate I am currently having is to replace all the fluids in the truck. Since I have owned the truck, purchased in 2007, I have no replaced any fluids besides the oil and coolant. I have no service records for the previous owner.

I have heard conflicting stories on this topic. I have heard that if the fluids have never been changed and the vehicle has a lot of miles then to leave them cause it could cause damage changing the fluids.

I have also heard that all the fluids need to be changed no matter how old or how many miles is on the truck and that it will extend the life of the tranny and diff and so forth.

So the question that I am here to ask is: What is your opinios? Has anyone changed all the fluids in their vehicle and had any bad experiences? If so what was the mileage and age of your truck? What good experiences have you have after changing all the fluids?

Thanks for the input guys.

#3 ·
I have no service records for the previous owner.
Good reason IMO for changing them; to establish a baseline. If the engine oil looks clean and the filter new, then I'll let it go for a while, but transmission and differential oil is usually neglected because it's easy to ignore.

I have heard conflicting stories on this topic. I have heard that if the fluids have never been changed and the vehicle has a lot of miles then to leave them cause it could cause damage changing the fluids.
That's a new one to me. Guess if I never changed my oil, I better not start now....:roll:

Kidding aside, that is bad advise. If the fluids are shot, they need to be replaced.

I have also heard that all the fluids need to be changed no matter how old or how many miles is on the truck and that it will extend the life of the tranny and diff and so forth.
IMO, this is something the factory and oil companies like to tell people so they change fluids more often. Oil does oxidize and degrade just from exposure to air and it does degrade from being in contact with the crud it is supposed to suspend and keep off engine parts, but I have not seen the need personally to change oil in low-use vehicles more than once a year. I don't change it even that often.

#4 ·
Do it. Make sure the correct weight fluids are used and change EVERYTHING. Brake fluid has a tendency to hold onto moisture and can corrode the lines, wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Coolant deteriorates and can cause corrosion in the system.

Since you have not done a major service in 9 YEARS, do it now and extend the life of your truck.

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Well I change my oil every 5,000 miles and that will never change. I wasn't referring to the oil. I was referring to the trans, diff, brake, steering. I'll be changing all of that in the next few weeks, too cold right now.

I do have a question though. With the tranny that is on a 2000 desert runner, is it drain and fill or is there a filter I need to take out and clean or replace?

Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
I was referring to all vehicle fluids too.

I changed the oil and filter in mine yesterday... at 10k....on cheap parts-store oil.

#11 ·
In 2004 we purchased a 1998 Frontier 4-cylinder 5-speed with 100K on it for the kids to drive, 100K on it, and zero history.

The first weekend my 16-year-old daughter and I changed ALL the fluids, including differential, and replaced all the filters.

That Frontier now has 206K on it, and it has been returned to us, and Mrs. Cusser and I both drive it. In fact, it's my go-to vehicle when I go out of town by myself to my place up north 100 miles away.

#13 ·
Change ALL the fluids, it will help everything last longer. When I got my truck I changed everything and then did it again after 500 miles just to clean out whatever was built up inside.

I have only herd of this if you backflush the trans and radiator, drain and refill will not have this problem.

#14 ·
Many for changing fluids but not real reasons.

So everyone has heard the reason to change fluid is to extend the life of the vehicle, but no one has explained why that is. So I'll chime in on it with my knowledge.

Oil changes are probably the most overdone maintenance ever. Why do people change this so often? Because it's cheap. What benefit does it have changing it so often? Keeps engine well lubricated. As with any oil it has a breakdown rate where it loses its cooling and lubricant properties. Though motor oil can last longer than 3000 miles. I wouldn't use cheap oil for long periods as they can have lower cooling points, lubrication breakdown and cause sludge build up. Using quality oil is best. Pick your preference. Mine is Valvoline with research of ash deposit, lubrication, cooling, breakdown, etc. AMSOil I found to be number 1 with Mobil in 2nd. But price brought me to number 3 Valvoline.

Transmission fluid. One of the most underdone services. Why is that? Price. Most trans services are upwards of $150 or more. Depends on fluid type and amount. But if you think about it. Flushing that trans one time for its price is less than the amount you spent on changing your oil that whole time. In most cases at least. ATF is like motor oil but with better breakdown rates, a much better viscosity. Great cooling properties. So why change it? Because overtime it loses all its properties. Just like motor oil it can become burnt. As we all have seen, motor oil is an amber color(unless it's royal purple or or dyed synthetics) that turns a dark brown or black over time and becomes thinner. ATF also loses color in that same manner and loses the cooling and lubrication properties.

MTF or manual transmission fluid. Works the same way motor oil does as it is generally exactly that. Though changed less often due to being used in the transmission where high compression and combustion are not present.

Coolant is generally changed with most people. Usually due to overheating or a leak caused in some point of the cooling system. Antifreeze also has lubricant properties, but majorly a cooling facility. It also has a pH level that has to be checked and alkalinity. Coolant wears down and can cause rusted systems. I know cause I just changed mine( radiator, water pump, thermostat, and hoses) mostly overlooked in cooling system maintenance are the hoses. So don't forget to check them. They could be fill with rust

Power Steering fluid. Though not really over looked most never think about it unless it leaks but over a period of 50k. This can lose its lubricant properties. Which cause most leaks in this system.

Differential fluid. Gear oil.... The worst smelling fluid ever imo. This fluid also breaks down and loses its lubricant properties.

Transfer case. Seriously go back to ATF with this one.

So really if you made it this far congrats. What have I found out?
Loss of lubrication can cause premature breakdown of gears or seals. Which is why metal shaving are found in the motor oil, ATF and diff fluid.
Loss of Cooling properties cause overheating whether it be the engine or transmission or diff.
Breakdown of the oil, can cause a thinner fluid which no longer coats the gears or seals or friction plates if we get into the transmission.

But then again this is just my .02 of what I've learned from the time I was 16 and working on vehicles. So 13 years I suppose

#15 ·
Just changed the oil in my 2012 Ford Focus for the first time.Little over 5000 miles.Changed the oil twice in the 2007 Nissan(7500 ).
Could not tell you how many times in the 2004 Dodge(36000).
.Lots!!No set mileage.Towing,dusty condions.
I write the mileage on the filter with a mark a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.