Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Can't put truck into Drive????

39K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  thomasrichardd7 
#1 ·
I have had an interesting situation happen with my truck in the past. It has never happened on a regular basis. But it has happened the last two mornings in a row, so i'm kinda worried.

My truck is an automatic. A few times over the last few years, i'll start the truck, wait a few minutes for it to warm up, and go to put the truck into drive. The shift lefer won't move into drive. No matter what I try and do. It seems like I eventually have to try and physically rock the truck to get the shifter to release and go into drive.

The last two mornings it's been pretty cold here, mid 20's. When I start the truck, I usually give it 5 or more minutes to warm up. Both mornings, it took forever to get the shifter to release to put the truck into Drive. The shift lever just won't move. Any ideas?

#2 ·
If I remember from my 2001 SEDR auto there is something were the brake needs to be depressed before you can shift. My have something to do with all that. Maybe someone has more info on this issue.

#15 ·
I have been to two different Nissan Dealers. Neither one could solve this problem. They say that they have looked at it and there is no problem. Every time the temperature drops to about freezing I have a devil of a time getting it out of park. I have to jiggle ans yank on the shifter to get it out of park. Very frustrating.

#3 ·
You are right on that one. The brake pedal always has to be pressed to shift. I'm doing that every time. It's a wierd situation, esp since it doesn't happen all the time.

#5 ·
2nd that! Cause that is the only think stopping you from moving the lever. Unless you are parking on a very steep slope your transmission shifter would not feel tight when putting into "D"

#6 · (Edited)
I agree...
I don't know how these are set up, but I believe on most modern vehicles a switch that is activated when the brake pedal is pushed down releases a pin on the shifter itself. It's not unusual for this locking pin to get dried up and sticky with age. The fact that yours is doing this in cold weather makes it even more likely that this is the problem.
I'm no mechanic, I'm just throwing out a suggestion, but if that's the problem, then the solution is to access the shifter mechanism inside the console and clean and lube the release pin assembly.
Hope that helps.

#7 ·
this happened a few times on my '95 Hardbody . had to rock it to get it to shift, just like you have said. eventually the pin itself just stopped locking so it never mattered anymore, didn't need the brake to shift it after that. But if you have children (or incompetent people) i would not recommend disengaging it. lol.

#8 ·
There is a tiny plug near the shift lever that you can pop out and stick a screwdriver in to depress the switch that locks the shifter. I have used this numerous times when I have to remove my radio. It allows you to move the shifter without a key.

#9 ·
Great info everyone. Thanks. I'll have to take a look and see if I can either clean, lube, or bypass that pin. It did it again this morning. It's getting frustrating. Espically the fact that it only happens every once in a while.

#10 ·
Is where you park level? If on an incline, set your park (emergency) brake prior to removing foot from brake pedal when shutting truck off. By just slamming into park and then jumping out of the truck, the truck can roll slightly forward or backward to put the weight of the truck on the pin in the transmission. Setting the park brake reduces this potential when done properly.

#11 ·
Sounds like the mechanism in the shifter. I don't remember if the one on our truck is a cable actuated or electronic actuated system. Just pull the console out and look. It's been a while since i've worked at nissan but i remember replacing the shift interlock actuator (the electric ones) in a few of the shifters.