Nissan Frontier Forum banner

4WD issue

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tumbleweed 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 1999 4x4 Frontier and was trying out the 4x4 and noticed something odd. When in 4wd if feels almost like the brake is on and the truck is almost "fighting" itself to go forward. If left in idle it will not move unless throttle is applied and when left to drift will bring itself to a complete stop, almost like the parking brake is on. There are 2 different tire sizes from from front to back. 265r70's on the rear and 225r75's on the front. Was wondering if the different aspect ratio of the tires might be the culprit as they are trying to turn at different speeds. Local tire shop says no, but I have my doubts.

#2 ·
Yes, the back tires are almost an inch and a half taller than the fronts. The front and back are fighting each other. I had a 4Runner with different size front/rear tires and it would bind up on dry pavement to the point that it was difficult to shift the transfer case back to 2WD. It was a manual trans truck but even so that couldn't have been good for the drievline. So I only ever used 4WD in the snow or mud, where the tires could slip.

#4 ·
X2.

Never, ever, engage 4WD on dry pavement. It's only for use when you are on snow, ice, or mud. Rain doesn't count.

These trucks are 4WD, not AWD. Completely different systems. There is nothing to allow the front and rear axles to spin at different speeds, unless you are on snow, ice, or mud.

Driving on dry pavement or wet pavement will bind everything up and can grenade the transfer case.

#3 ·
Issue? More like a disaster in progress! Get new tires NOW! DO NOT engage 4WD until they are installed.....

#7 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies for the 4x4 issue. Replaced 2 tires to match the size of the other 2 and it functions perfect. On another note, I am missing 3 of the 4 factory fender flares. I have the rr one. Anyone knowing of a salvage yard, that might have these, and will ship, please let me know. The 3 would cost me about $500 from Nissan. That's not going to happen. Thanks guys and Merry Christmas to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.