3 inch lift question - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3 inch lift question

today i put the new UCAs from 4x4 parts for my 3 inch suspension lift. i put them in an the truck didnt go up at all. i had to tighten to the torsions for the truck to go up. some one else told me i should have loosened the tortions. Wouldnt this have lowered the truck? did i do it right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Shift_Obsessed

#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New control arms don't make your truck higher. You get lift by cranking the torsion bars. the arms are so you can crank higher and still get an alignment. The person who told you to loosen the bars to get lift is an idiot.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is yet ANOTHER thread that is covered by the very first post in the first gen FAQ sticky.

You obviously didn't read read it or you would have seen this:
Sraight from 1st Gen FAQ...PLEASE READ. ADD INPUT
Quote:
FRONT SUSPENSION

The 1st gen frontier has the ability to adjust ride height via "pre-loading" the torsion bars... or as its better known as.... adjusting or cranking them.... Basically the torsion bar is a spring... It is connected to the LCA (lower control arm) in the front of your truck, and connected to a crossmember and adjuster in the central area of your truck. If you look under the truck, you will see on each side, just inside of the frame rails, a long bar that extends back from the LCA.. thats your torsion bar...

ALL LIFTS with the exception of very high dollar SAS or Coil Over conversion lift your truck via a torsion bar crank... Some kits have the option of upgrading to aftermarket torsion bars, but this is NOT needed.. some prefer, some prefer stock bars... The stock torsion bars have more than enough ability to give you well over the maximum 3+" of lift.

LIFT OPTIONS...

0" to 2" - You can simply adjust your torsion bars...
2.5" to 3" - You can either purchase a complete lift kit, or purchase aftermarket UCA's

To adjust your torsion bars... You simply jack up the front end of your truck, secure it with the wheels slightly off the ground, to remove any tension on the front suspension, and tighten the adjuster bolts.. There are two 19mm nuts on the top of the adjuster bolt... the top being a lock nut... simply loosen the top nut, then tightned the adjuster bolt to adjust ride height... lower truck, measure... and repeat untill you have desired height.... REMEMBER.... you want a minimum of 1/2" of room between the bottom of your UCA, and the bump stop which is below it.....

or click here for some detailed instructions with pictures...TorsionBarWriteUp

It is said to always get an alighnment after adjusting torsion bars, however in MOST cases, it will not effect your alignmnt, however this is YOUR CHOICE... if it needs the alignment, GET IT DONE.

You always have the option of purchasing a lift "kit" that is complete with all that is needed... However there are lots of people who do the lifts in steps... Lots of people start off with a simple torsion bar adjustment, then decide they want more.... Here are your options...

1) Add aftermarket UCA's. Basically as you adjust the height of your truck with your stock UCA's, the angle that they sit changes, which also changes the ball joint angle and slightly changes your camber. Aftermarket UCA's DO NOT ACTUALLY LIFT YOUR TRUCK... The torsion bars do... The aftermarket UCA's are simply designed at a differant angle, so that when the truck is adjusted by 2.5-3", the ball joint angles, and your camber are at the correct points... There are several options, and most of them are in the $350.00 range.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Thanked 1,042 Times in 749 Posts
Garage
uca's only allow for more droop. you achieve more droop by cranking or reindexing and cranking the torsion bars.

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

pain of discipline.
pain of regret.
take your pick.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Shift_lurker

My ride is super rough right now. Well new shocks fix this since they are maxed out?
#7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Garage
yes. the valving in your shocks is probably off. however, cranked torsion bars are going to give a firmer ride anyhow.

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

pain of discipline.
pain of regret.
take your pick.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Shift_lurker

My stock shocks are maxed out. i assume this is why my ride is rough and that longer shocks will take this problem away.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Garage
maxing out your shocks will definitely create a terrible ride.

pain of discipline.
pain of regret.
take your pick.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Shift_lurker

yea ill be buying new shocks

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.