2003 Diesel engine swap. - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hah. hope not. the owner can just say he bought it used and the diesel was already in it. that engine is in the isuzu med cab foward trucks in usa, but if they get down to the nitty gritty then that engine serial number is listed as installed in a isuzu bighorn with a vin number that was at one time registered in japan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertz View Post
Have you ever heard of anyone actually getting prosecuted for this?
Probably only in California. I'm sure I could dig up some stories on the old interwebs but nothing springs to mind.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
Probably only in California. I'm sure I could dig up some stories on the old interwebs but nothing springs to mind.
Sorry California doesnt count. We cant do anything fun here

My recently departed Friend;
2010 PRO-4X Night Armor CC. K&N intake. Prototype Magnaflow Cat-Back. Superchip'd. Readylift SST 2.5/1.5 lift. 285/75/16 BFG ATs. UHaul Hitch. White Rhino Fab Lightbar w/ Hella 500FFs. PIAA yellow fog bulbs. Silverstar 9007s. Bed mounted Hi-Lift Jack. Nissan acces(hood protector,side rails, window visors).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDHarleydad For This Useful Post:
Mhannis (11-29-2012), speedfoos (11-29-2012)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottB1982
The only way an engine swap is "legal" per FEDERAL standards is if the engine is from the same year or newer than the vehicle it is going into, and all US emissions equipment is present and working. Different states (such as California) may limit swaps to engines available for that specific vehicle from the factory. The laws may have changed some since I last looked into swaps, but that was the cliffs notes from what I read.

Chat for ClubFrontier Members HERE! http://xat.com/ClubFrontier

2011 Frontier CC SV V6- CST Spindles, 2" Deavers, 5125 bils, PRG adjustable shackles, 285/75R16 BFG ATs on Vision 375 Warriors, Midland 1001LWX CB radio w/ SH2P4 external speaker and 3' Firestick, N-Fab step bars, Hypertech, AEM DryFlow drop-in filter, custom bed-mounted Hi-Lift jack.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

So how do those custom hot rod/chop shops get away with putting whatever engine they feel like in the vehicles they build?

Or are those registered as U-builds (don't know if that exists in the states)?

2000 Silver Frontier, SE 4x4 V6 Crew Cab (5spd) - 309xxx km and counting!
2014 Cayenne Red Xterra Pro4X (6spd) - 800km!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottB1982
In most cases (or at least in quality builds,) they use an engine newer than the vehicle the engine is being put into. I don't know if they have to keep all of the emissions stuff relative to the year of the engine, or just to meet with the standards of the year the vehicle was manufactured. The people dropping engines in that are older than the car either don't have emissions, go to shady inspection stations, or find some other way to get around the local laws, but are still generally illegal to federal standards. Will they get caught or punished for it? Most likely not, unless their vehicle is involved in some other federal case or if they really want to stick someone with a fine or lawsuit for something.

Chat for ClubFrontier Members HERE! http://xat.com/ClubFrontier

2011 Frontier CC SV V6- CST Spindles, 2" Deavers, 5125 bils, PRG adjustable shackles, 285/75R16 BFG ATs on Vision 375 Warriors, Midland 1001LWX CB radio w/ SH2P4 external speaker and 3' Firestick, N-Fab step bars, Hypertech, AEM DryFlow drop-in filter, custom bed-mounted Hi-Lift jack.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Two sets of standards have been defined for light-duty vehicles in the Clean Air Act Amendments (CAAA) of 1990:

Tier 1 standards, which were published as a final rule on June 5, 1991 and phased-in progressively between 1994 and 1997.
Tier 2 standards, which were adopted on December 21, 1999, with a phase-in implementation schedule from 2004 to 2009.
Tier 1 standards applied to all new light-duty vehicles (LDV), such as passenger cars, light-duty trucks, sport utility vehicles (SUV), minivans and pick-up trucks. The LDV category included all vehicles of less than 8500 lb gross vehicle weight rating, GVWR (vehicle weight plus rated cargo capacity). LDVs were further divided into the following sub-categories:

Passenger cars
Light light-duty trucks (LLDT), below 6000 lbs GVWR
Heavy light-duty trucks (HLDT), above 6000 lbs GVWR

so i lucked out, the trooper is a 1993. 1 year before testing, therefore exempt? im not sure, but i found a cool web site Emission Standards: United States

update
i sea foamed the gasser. after i let it sit for around twenty mins, all kinds of smoke came out of that beast. couldnt even see the dirt road behind me. we will see if it get mileage back up. if it doesn't, its time to pay a little homage to Rudolph Diesel himself ! ! ! ! !

Last edited by Wanganator; 11-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
And don't get me wrong, I'm all for this swap. After seeing all the diesel Toyota Hiluxes and Nissan Frontiers overseas it pisses me off that we don't have a single mid-size diesel pick-up in the US.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

i know its insane right ! ! they have egr systems and everything, but the gov just will not allow a diesel into the us cause they are way more efficient and the oil companies dont want em here. thats my suspicion anyways. maybe if someone with common sense gets elected one day (fat fu**ing chance), we will be able to have more 4 banger diesels. yall know that the car company mihandra designed an suv, a 4 door truck, and 2 door ute for the us. all with a small diesel turbo diesel made by the same company. they were tested to our epa regs, but the gov said no cause the company tested the engines in an overs seas lab.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Shift_lurker

If it's not legal its even more badass. I fully support the idea of this, and I'd love to see it documented. These trucks are great platforms, and a more economic diesel would solve the main gripe most owners have with them.

Just curious, is that engine the top mount intercooled one? Are you going to relocate the IC or cut up the hood? I'd also be curious to see how you wire everything up (do you essentially bypass the ECU and just use a speed sensor off the trans??), and if you'd have room to position the block/trans to use the stock driveshaft.

Goodluck, please take lots of pictures

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.