2001 Catalytic Converter (SES Code: P0420) - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2001 Catalytic Converter (SES Code: P0420)

I have a 2001 2WD King Cab Frontier. It has 116,000 miles on it, no mods, and has been regularly maintained.

The service engine soon light has been on in my truck for the past couple of months, but i have had no drop in performance or mileage.

I finally took it into AAMCO today and they told me that it is a Catalytic Converter Code (P0420 - TW Catalyst SYS-B1). He said he checked the system and everything looked fine to him, then he pulled of the CC and it worked fine off of the car.

He then told me that he looked up a service bulletin online and that the fix involved Flashing the computer, but that only a Nissan Dealership would be able to do this because the don't distribute the codes.

Does anyone know anything more about this? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ochsbeatdown
thats odd, ive never heard anything about this...go figure, my trucks beginning to randomly reak of rotten eggs yet i don't get any code (it's got to be my catalytic) while yours is perfectly fine and you get a code...damn you nissan lol. i myself don't know the exact answer, but i'd search google or these forums about it a bit because going to the dealership just for that will set you back a decent amount of $$

btw, heres a great site to check out: Do-It-Yourself Projects Nissan Frontier

it's got a lot of info and i believe they've got all the service bulletins and recalls listed too!

2001 Nissan Frontier XE 5-spd
-Kenwood KDC MP732 headunit with iPod adapter
-Alpine SPS-17C2 6.5 inch door speakers
-
Blaupunkt Thb 200A sub
-Truxedo Truxport Tonneau Cover

Rutgers University '09
Monmouth University '11
#3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had this code come up awhile back on my truck and it is the cat on the manifold driver side that was out. I never heard about reflashing the computer. Don't forget that are trucks have 4 cats

BASS HEADS UNITE
2005 titan crew cab

Rick
#4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Shift_lurker

It sounds like we are stuck buying a new front cat. The nice $149 ones online are not California legal so they won't even ship me one. I'm just gonna have that lovely light on I guess.

Say goodbye to my Frontier. She will be spending the rest of her days on the island of Saint Lucia in the West Indies. Seems my heart is bigger than my head.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Had this same code on my Corolla how did i get it out you say

With the code you may not get emissions passed. There is spark plug fowler you can purchase at Autozone. Drill out center of it around half inch basic same size o2 sensor end. Spin this into your 02 post cat thats behind the cat, install the 02 into this part and my code it out!!! Strange i got 50 mpg right after the mod hehe, runs the same and now is back to normal still no light yippy. Its not legal, i dont think anything is legal anymore. Heck in CA you need permision to cut down bush .
2003 corolla with 117k miles

That code is post cat on toyotas

Last edited by CRDLIBERTY; 04-06-2009 at 11:52 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Shift_lurker

I'm good on smog 'til March 2010 and she will be permanently out of the country on an island that doesn't know what is in less than a month. I'm just gonna leave the light on.

Say goodbye to my Frontier. She will be spending the rest of her days on the island of Saint Lucia in the West Indies. Seems my heart is bigger than my head.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.