Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1st Gen Tow Hooks

7K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  mudpunisher 
#1 ·
Ok guys... Before i get all sorts of crap, i did search... Just couldn't find anything for the 1st gen guys...

I am going to a NIORA ride at Rausch Creek in Pa next saturday, but I don't have a front tow point.. With the front bumper being all plastic, what are you guys using (other than totally differant bumpers).

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

#2 ·
there was a guy last sunday that used a sky rope and hooked it to his frame rails on each side and made a loop and then hooked the tow strape to that. you could go get a tow hook out of a junk yard and there is a place to mount it to the passenger frame rail up front just under the body mount! thats about all the options i know of! good luck and watch the steering!

#3 ·
nismogone said:
good luck and watch the steering!
Thanks, i'll check it out..

And should i grab a couple extra tie rod ends to take with, since your so damn convinced already that i'm gonna break my steering??? lol

#5 ·
Well i can tell you now.... If i break something exspensive... then Ky is out of the question... I'm barely budgeting for these trips...

This will be my first trip to a actuall off road place like this... So it should be interesting...

Hey i'm not familiar with all the ratings of trails.. are they universal to all trails or do the color or names change between places?

#7 ·
Pics by chance?

I've wondered about using those tabs that come down that look like they are perfect for mounting two hook to, but wasn't sure they where strong enough...

#8 ·
JoshuaTest said:
Ok guys... Before i get all sorts of crap, i did search... Just couldn't find anything for the 1st gen guys...
There's a thread on this exact issue right here :)

Curious what you come up with though, and looking forward to those spacers you're getting, oh and btw regarding those will you take them off whenever you put your muddies on or simply have your muddies sticking out 6"

#9 ·
oh no... they will only be used with the stock wheels.....

I wish i had some new mudders mounted to go to Rausch Creek on... But this will be a GREAT chance to give the Revo's a true off road test...

#10 ·
You can go buy some stock tow hooks for the exterra or you can go pick up a set of Chevrolet or GMC full-size 4x4 (or Z71) from model years 1988-98 tow hooks. See link on all the info you need:

Link to How to Install Tow Hooks on 1st gen Frontier.
http://www.nissanoffroad.net/how_to/tow_hook/tow_hook.asp

#12 ·
JoshuaTest said:
oh no... they will only be used with the stock wheels.....

I wish i had some new mudders mounted to go to Rausch Creek on... But this will be a GREAT chance to give the Revo's a true off road test...
The Revos suck if they get wet, and they aren't that great on other terrain either. I used to wheel with Glen (Kaiser) in TX when he had those, they lost traction pretty easily and were almost worthless when it got muddy. Decent street tire though...

#16 ·
NG... I picked up some 15x8's a month ago or so.... the 15x10's are 4 sale... think they are sold this week actually...

#18 ·
nismogone said:
coooooooooooooooollllllllll!!! you can tell i havent been around in a while! what kind of 15x8s did you get?
well i actually have two sets... lol... I found a set of steel wagon wheels like the white ones, but painted like a gun metal grey... I gave $25.00 for a set of 4... But then i found a set of mag style rims the same size that i REALLY liked, So i'm about $50.00 into those also...

But I'm supposed to have a guy comming to buy my 15x10's this week... then i'm down to which 15x8's i like more, and the other set will be for sale...

I will let you know how that turns out...

#20 ·
thanks...

i think this is what i'm gonna do..... just wanted to make sure it was safe...

thanks again... jt

#21 · (Edited)

kinda late but thats what im running, ive pulled on both hooks more than i can count, frames a little bent on the rear but ive pulled out trucks on 40's with that one

i think this has been the first time on CF nobody said anything when someone posted pics!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.