Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1st GEN ECM fuse? SEL not reading

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Plan B 
#1 · (Edited)
Well a few days ago the Service Engine Light came on as I pulled out of the driveway, of course this was when I was on my way to a job interview 50 miles away. It felt like the truck ran pretty $hitty, but I thought the 25+kt cross/headwind wasnt helping. ;-)

It seems that it's running rich as it was smokey a little bit at low/no load when engine was fairly cold, and a bit of a "burp" dropping down to 1500rpm. I think it may be the MAP / MAF sensor

anyway, I took it to both advance & Autozone to have the code read and neither can. It was suggested the ECM / OBD has a bad fuse, but I can't find which in both my Haynes book and owners manual. One guy said it's often on the Cig lighter fuse, but that one's fine. Did a search and really didnt find a solution

oh, and of course it didn't replicate the problem when I was at AZ. Apparently after it's run for a bit the symptoms subside

Thoughts/input? my immediate concern is obviously is making sure OBD / ECM is functioning properly
I've had 60hr workweek, but hopefully will be able to get to this on sunday

thanks
B

See less See more
#3 ·
One guy said it's often on the Cig lighter fuse, but that one's fine.
On Mrs. Cusser's Yukon, emissions test couldn't read ECU, and it did turn out to be the unmarked (even in the owner's manual) fuse shared with cigarette lighter. I bet GM charges $100 for that, and I wrote that into my owner's manual. Thanks GM.

#4 ·
Ok, well I guess the way the truck was running was related to the knock I had a few weeks ago, and most likely from bad gas / water in the system. I finally ran the tank(with some techron additive and 93oct) down to E, and buh-bye white smoke, and running alot better. I was pretty concerned as I've never had this happen ever before and imagination of problems started to run wild ;-)

But...... in regards to the thread title, since I'm sure this may happen to someone else: I went through the fuses and the "Room Lamp" 7.5 fuse was blown. (prob from when I butchered the dome lamp bulb that was crusted in to put in the LED light... which didnt fit until they sent me a Ba9 adapter)

Swapped that fuse and cleared the code, but the SES light came again a few days later..... but this time we were able to read it. So I guess that OBD / ECM is tied to that "room lamp" fuse someway.

It was the P0400 (EGR) that I rectified a month ago... (maybe another one of those little hoses went bad, I only replaced the main one that was clearly chewed up) :-/ but at least that's low on the "serious" scale :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.