Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Sierra Buttes area 8/6 and 8/7

11K views 120 replies 14 participants last post by  jbumx2 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the next trip of the 2016 year with the NORCAL/NV crew. The plan is to arrive on friday 8/5 and run trails on both sat 8/6 and sun 8/7. The trails we are planning on include Gold Valley, Deer Lake and Sierra Buttes.

Campgrounds are booking fast so if you are interested, I would suggest that you book a site as soon as possible. There are 3 CG's along Packer Lake Rd with available sites, Diablo, Berger and Packsaddle. I have reserved site 5 at Berger.

3/18 update: Berger CG is now full for the w/e. There is a possibility of sharing a site, if the parking area is big enough for more than 1 vehicle.

Please respond with your percentage of certainty that you will attend.

Attendees:
1. BCBrian 100%
2. JeniorNV 100%
3. jbumx2 100%
4. token taco 100%
5. crewmaxxis 100%
6. SixspeedSV 100%
7. Surprise participant 75%
8. enjoi408 100%
9. chitofrontier 100%
10. Landcruiser 100%
11. Land Rover 100%
12. R00 100%

See less See more
#53 ·
2 weeks to go

There are now 9 rigs confirmed, 1 a strong possibility for at least 1 day and 1 more considering jumping in. Lots of sweet Nissan's and 2 choice Toyota's in the mix.

Most folks are arriving Friday evening and a few on sat morning and I'll be there thursday afternoon. Some scouting will take place on friday.

Another excellent adventure with the Club Frontier crew! :urthebest:

#56 ·
11 days to go!

The luck of the Club Frontier NorCal/NV crew continues with PERFECT weather forecast for this trip! Highs in the upper 70's and lows in the upper 40's should make this a very comfortable outing.

We have been blessed with great weather for just about every gathering so far this year with only the Jan. Reno run having adverse conditions.

#60 ·
Friday Arrivals at Campgrounds

hi folks -
we are curious who will be arriving Friday afternoon at Berger Campground. I checked my reservation for weekend to confirm the arrival dates.

It is looking like we may have some smokey skies from the Fire on the coast near Carmel. That fire is raging, a contracted Dozer operator perished in the last couple of days.

Fire danger is high alert this time of year. be aware and act accordingly.

Let us have some fun and enjoy the trails!

L8
::smile::

#63 ·
1 week to go

7 days from now we will be gearing up for the 1st run of the weekend!

For those not camping at Berger CG friday night, please be at the CG before our 9:00 start time. If you cannot get into the CG, just park on the road outside the entrance.... you could just walk in as it is a small area.

Time for my 2nd oil change.....

#64 · (Edited)
Oil change tomorrow. Kinda glad I forgot the air and cabin filters after Dinkey. I'll have a new set on board for the trip home though.

Just offloaded approx. 100-150 # from the trailer since the Bald Mt. run, plan to condense toolboxes before leaving to save a bit more weight. Won't sacrifice recovery equipment, and still gotta contribute to campfire fuel :)

Talked to @crewmaxxis. He's gonna xfer his site to me just like last time so I can check in Fri night, and he will enjoy the benefit of not having to set camp again (frosty beverages in the fridge too :p)

I assume @JeniorNV will assign a site for partying. Check it Jenn, I invented the elusive shrinking ray:

5 watts of awesome campfire Bluetooth goodness. You won't even hear it if you don't listen

Still got The Beast™ on trail duty though.

Because every video should be a music video!

Oh, also got a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna due in Tuesday. Will convert to permanent roof mount after this run (assuming that was the problem with my comms)

#72 ·
I just spent some time reading about the particulars of Berger CG, here are some highlights.

-Drinking water is not provided.
-The campground lies at an elevation of 5,900 feet, near the banks of Packer Creek, just a short distance from the Packer Lake. A forest of lodgepole pine, cedar and fir trees covers the area. (Lodgepole pine are the same trees that were dead from the beetle kill in the Bald Mtn area).
-In accordance with standard industry practices, we will be assessing a $5 additional vehicle fee on the 'second vehicle' in each single family campsite, and on the 'third and fourth vehicle' in any double family campsite, provided these vehicles are not joined to the first vehicle by a hitch and towed onto the site.
-Additional parking is remote.
-No hookups at this campground.

Bring water. You will need it for drinking, bathing, doing dishes and cooking.
Bring your checkbook for payment of fee's for extra vehicles.

#74 ·
-In accordance with standard industry practices, we will be assessing a $5 additional vehicle fee on the 'second vehicle' in each single family campsite, and on the 'third and fourth vehicle' in any double family campsite, provided these vehicles are not joined to the first vehicle by a hitch and towed onto the site.

So if I hook the Tacoma up to my hitch and drag it to my campsite, I can avoid the additional fee? :angel:

#81 ·
Luckily I'll be parking in my own camp site on this trip!

Reactions: R00
#82 ·
Technically, parking wasn't really the issue. Definitely a moving violation.

I mean, not that I witnessed anything. My back was turned!

#84 ·
Shhhhh...

I have no idea where you found that random picture of a bashed up campfire pit. But on a completely unrelated note, have you seen the damage on Brian's front bumper? Pretty sure it happened on Dusy Ershim. None of us had the balls to run the trail with him so he went all by himself. That damage happened when he was making an effortless climb over THE HARDEST obstacle on the whole trail. Can you believe that was the only carnage? He's such a badass.

Absolutely no more fabricated of a story than when I fought off that giant bear that attacked me in Eldorado Canyon and came out with nothing more than a broken arm.

#90 ·
OK you jokers! Let's get back to our regularly scheduled program......

Getting my new battery installed today since the stock POS keeps puking acid out of the caps. Hopefully someday all 4 X 4's will come with AGM batteries. In the owners manual it specifically says not to tip the battery! Geez.... just driving up and down my driveway has caused acid to leak out!!

I've been looking at various air quality web sites and it looks like we should be OK. There is a new fire near Lake Berryessa that may cause more smoke to come into the area. Current wind direction is onshore, W to E, and with all the fires burning in CA air quality is suffering. I have a feeling we will be running the AC on RECIRC while on the trail!

I'm loading up today in preparation for an early exit tomorrow. I should be in camp by 3 or 4 but may not have cell service.

#92 ·
OK you jokers! Let's get back to our regularly scheduled program......

I've been looking at various air quality web sites and it looks like we should be OK. There is a new fire near Lake Berryessa that may cause more smoke to come into the area. Current wind direction is onshore, W to E, and with all the fires burning in CA air quality is suffering. I have a feeling we will be running the AC on RECIRC while on the trail!

Don't worry about the wildfire smoke, Brian. Grilled cheese sandwiches make it all better.

(I'm sorry...the silliness will not leave me. :laugh:)

#95 ·
I usually make that decision right after I throw the truck in gear. Another thing to note is that I have no idea what time I'm leaving. I'm done when I'm done on Friday, then I gotta load up.

I'm not a good convoy mate :-(

#96 ·
Ready to roll!

Except for my coolers, I am completely loaded. New battery is installed, fresh oil is in the crankcase and a new air filter is in place.

If you need to get a hold of me after 7am tomorrow call my cell number, otherwise I'll see you all in camp either fri night or sat morning.

Reminders:

1. Bring lots of water.

2. Arrive with a full tank of gas.

3. Be at Berger camp before 9am sat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.