Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Sierra Buttes area 8/6 and 8/7

11K views 120 replies 14 participants last post by  jbumx2 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the next trip of the 2016 year with the NORCAL/NV crew. The plan is to arrive on friday 8/5 and run trails on both sat 8/6 and sun 8/7. The trails we are planning on include Gold Valley, Deer Lake and Sierra Buttes.

Campgrounds are booking fast so if you are interested, I would suggest that you book a site as soon as possible. There are 3 CG's along Packer Lake Rd with available sites, Diablo, Berger and Packsaddle. I have reserved site 5 at Berger.

3/18 update: Berger CG is now full for the w/e. There is a possibility of sharing a site, if the parking area is big enough for more than 1 vehicle.

Please respond with your percentage of certainty that you will attend.

Attendees:
1. BCBrian 100%
2. JeniorNV 100%
3. jbumx2 100%
4. token taco 100%
5. crewmaxxis 100%
6. SixspeedSV 100%
7. Surprise participant 75%
8. enjoi408 100%
9. chitofrontier 100%
10. Landcruiser 100%
11. Land Rover 100%
12. R00 100%

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Excellent Joe! Really glad you are coming....

Token Taco is in. Likely both days. Probably not camping though.
Sweet! So happy they can make it. They live close enough to head home and come back the next day!

#5 ·
Dammit, where were all these trips last year when I could have went to most of them?!?!?

Almost wish I wasn't moving.

#14 · (Edited)
The BEAST is coming! YEA!!

The Buttes lookout trip of years ago was the deciding factor for a 4x4 pickup truck. I would like to revisit the area with a trail truck. This is the "chain of lakes" recreation area if I am not mistaken. The campgrounds are a premium if the memory serves correctly. we would be a tentative party of two. the lakes are going to be FULL! and Cold! Woo Hoo! :fantastic:
Tentative?? C'mon now! Let me know when you can commit 100%. Get a campsite NOW!

Really looking forward to exploring this area!

#15 ·
4 sites left

It may be possible to fit more than 1 vehicle in some of these sites as a few have very long parking area's. An extra vehicle fee will need to be paid but it would allow more folks to camp in the same CG.

I see that another site has been reserved, hopefully by one of our members!

BTW.... I have reserved my site for thu - sat nights in hopes that someone will arrive early enough on friday to do some scouting.

#16 ·
The Buttes -

ALL IN. This is the place that decided the truck.

I suggest a westward trail that appears to lead one over the peak to the valley on the south side. it looks intriguing from the Google Earth view. There are some options for sure.

FYI- The "Pack Saddle" equestrian campground has 6 sites available as of today 18MAR16 at $24.00 each + "convenience" fee on recreation.gov.

fishin', swimin', and other recreational endeavors await.

L8- ::smile::

#18 ·
#22 ·
Surprise participant

We may have someone joining us for this trip that lives close enough to easily attend. He will be driving an X and has some experience on these trails....

Fingers crossed!

Looking forward to this trip!!

#25 ·
How do you feel about dispersed camping? That is an option and it is free. We camped at the Berger site a few years back and hiked up to some high clearance trails to find a few rigs camped out near a small lake. If your rig is capable you may use that type of option. it would be good to have your with us.:smile:

#28 ·
I was talking about this during the meet up last Sunday, and love the dispersed camping option because everyone can be in the same area. I've done it most wheeling trips I have been on.

I have a single site that you're wekcome to share with me, as long as it's allowed by the park. There maybe a fee for an additional vehicle.
Thanks jbumx2. I definitely will take you up on that offer. Let me know what the extra fees are and I will take care of them.

#30 ·
Shoe horn it.

The campsites vary in dimension and space for a rig. It can be worked out with the group members that are confirmed. We should be able to squeeze in a rig here or there and not draw too much attention from the rangers. ::smile::

Has any one planned to travel during the day to the site on Friday? We have been discussing heading outta Dodge on Friday mid-day ahead of most traffic as Friday exodus from the Bay Area can be crowded.

#32 ·
Has any one planned to travel during the day to the site on Friday? We have been discussing heading outta Dodge on Friday mid-day ahead of most traffic as Friday exodus from the Bay Area can be crowded.
I'm heading up there on thu, so I'll see you guys when you arrive.... unless I'm on the trail! Sounds like the entire CG is going to be Club Frontier members!

#37 ·
25 days to go till the next NorCal/NV group adventure!

Now that we survived the Bald Mtn trip, we have this meet to plan for. Currently there are 7 rigs 100% committed and another almost there for at least 1 day.

It looks like the entire Berger CG is booked by Club Frontier! There is probably room to squeeze a couple more people into shared campsites, so speak up if you are interested.

#38 ·
Trip planning

I have been researching the trails available to us on this trip and have come up with a 2 day trail plan that will allow us to explore the area and see many of the lakes, camping spots and sites. This will give us the info needed to plan another visit to the area and possibly camp in a dispersed CG instead of a formal CG.

Here is the current plan -
SAT: Gold Valley Trail. There are several lakes off of this route that we could explore. It runs N from the rd that our camp is on to the town of Johnsville. It could be run as a loop that brings us back to camp on Gold Lakes Hwy or we could run it both ways. If run as a loop it takes 4-5 hrs (probably more with our lg group) and has 18.6 miles of dirt and 30 miles of pavement. Exploring the lakes along the way would add dirt miles.

SUN: This day is going to include several different trails. Sierra Butte Trail. This will take us to the lookout and the hike to the lookout tower. Rather than drive to Sierra City on pavement, we will run this S from camp and return by the same route. Deer Lake Trail. This is a shorter trail that runs N and intersects with the next trail. Snake Lake Trail. We will NOT be doing the part of this trail that is rated difficult. Instead we will go E along Gold Lake. This will allow us to check out the Gold Lake OHV CG for possible future runs. We end the day on Gold Lakes Hwy which will allow for an easy return back to Hwy's 49 and 80 for the trip home.

By doing these runs as planned we will get a great overview of the area and it's possibilities. We will visit several lakes and scout for dispersed camping opportunities and visit some of the more remote locations.

If you would like to see some photo's and a good map of the area, check out this trip report posted on IH8Mud: Gold Valley/Snake Lake/Deer Lake/Sierra Buttes

I suggest that everyone fill their tanks in Truckee and then top them off again at Bassetts station at the corner of Hwy 49 and Gold Lake Hwy. Gas will be MUCH cheaper in Truckee and this will ensure that we all are prepared for travel in very remote country. Please make sure that your rig is ready for this trip as we will be a very long way from civilization most of the time.

#40 ·
Me too, Jen! I enjoy exploring new territory and doing it with the NorCal/NV 4 wheeling crew just makes it that much better!!

#42 ·
Yes. The plan is to leave camp at 9, so that will be the meeting spot. Camp is only about 2 miles from the trail head for both runs.

#45 ·
Wow this trip sound fun. If i can get a green light from my boss can i join? Do you need sliders for this trip?

Its too hot in socal area norcal is much cooler.
You are welcome to join us. If you made it through Bald Mtn w/o sliders with no damage you should be fine. That said, this is new territory for all of us. The trails we are going on are moderate at most.

The campground is already fully booked and I have offered to share my site with a couple folks already. You would need to find a site in a nearby CG or contact one of the other participants and see if they would be willing to share. The list is in the first post. Read the entire thread to see who is already sharing and check with the other folks.

#46 ·
Thanks Brian got your Message. Week prior I will be at East Fork CG with kids so the week after will be the Sierra Buttes trip. This last 2 months is busy CG trailing adventure in the back of the woods. But iam really tempted to join this trip beacuse it is a discovery over landing trip. So if any kind soul would like to share CG spot please let me know. It looks like iam going...lol. i have sliders land cruiser does not. Iam still convincing him to join.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.