Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Frontier and Tacoma Ocotillo Run

10K views 62 replies 14 participants last post by  Rabs1755 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not to sure if anything like this has been done before but after meeting some Tacoma World members up in Hungry Valley I thought about this trip. I asked some of the So Cal Frontier (Facebook) guys as to where to make this run and they mostly said Ocotillo. Personally I'm not to familiar with the area so I will be needing a volunteer to actually lead the group and have some input on meeting locations, destinations, and camp sites. Is this something anyone would be interested in? Now here is the only kicker, my truck is currently broke (rack and pinion, CV). My expectations is to have the truck running by mid Oct. which is fine since it can give us a bit more time on planning. Thought?

Date Nov 1-2

attendance list
1) Ryyan Camping
2) 6haole
3) Benjammn5
4) CarJeep Camping
5) dhout8 Camping
6) Rabs Camping
7) Jeff Camping
8) israel (jeep) Camping
9) iseeredandyellow
10)tylerkyte5?
11)Queztal?
12)w501joe?
13)Glamisdude?
14)adamar85
15)BCollett?
16)shmellmopwho?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would be willing to help lead, I'm pretty familiar with Ocotillo. For me though it would have to be mid-late Nov. I'm busy nearly every weekend in October-early November.

#3 ·
I know the area from the 78 over to the s2 or 22 I always get them mixed! Basically from blow sand/ranger station over to the 4x4 training grounds. Depending on how many people want to go there's pole line for a huge group or could go off county line or somewhere over there. Anywhere else out there iv yet to explore as I'm usually a loan ranger and stay to where I know incase something happens. Iv heard the run from ocotillo to superstition is pretty fun, never done it tho

#4 ·
I've done the ocotillo to superstition loop once on the bike. It was awesome! but really far, though it probably wouldn't feel as far in the trucks. Its mainly just a wide sandy wash all the way, so it would be a more high speed loop than a 4x4 trail.

#7 ·
Might wanna hit up jhughes, he's got a place out there and knows most of it better than anyone I know. His new truck won't be as fast as his old one was but not many outside of T1 would be able to keep up with his old truck anyway.
Don't hurt to ask as he's not on here as much as he used to be. He might still get a PM, if not I've got his cell (and Rabs might too).
Daniel, hit me up if you wanna get in touch with him.
I'd love to go but I'm pretty much slammed door to door in Oct.

#8 ·
TerribleOne, yeah i would totally be left in the dust lol but the last weekend of october sounds great, I'm hoping temps will be lower by then too

Sean, i just looked in my cell and i actually don't have his number. no worries man, I'm actually will be planning another run probably in Nov Dec time frame which will include surveil training about $100 bucks a head. ill will have to talk to the survival guy for more info. he would basically wheel with us to the selected destination and have an all day class. ill post more info later on. just mentioning it in case your intreated.

Robby thanks for the input and Chris hope you can squeeze some time in.

#9 ·
Last weekend of October as in the 24th? or Halloween weekend?
Can't do halloween, but if the 24th I can probably do a day trip. That's my birthday weekend:)

#10 ·
well i just pulled a date out of my butt and said nov 1 and 2. we can just play it by ear and see the other peeps prefer that weekend

#13 ·
My new truck is still bone stock, so there is not much I can do aside from just cruising around on the flat areas. I have all my suspension sitting in my garage except for UCA's and tires, which I actually cancelled a DV trip because I won't have the funds to make those changes in time. That being said, because of this and other weekend commitments I am passing.

What are the types of rigs going? Are there any green or red stickers going? That will determine the route. If all plated vehicles, that opens it up to a lot more to explore in the areas that green/red stickers can't get to.

I can check back and help plan a route accordingly.

#15 ·
I just decided to stay with nov 1,2
@HUGHES i really don't know but my guess would be just cruising around flats.

#17 ·
who's Camping? Rabs?

#18 ·
As long as I can get my rack and pinion changed out AGAIN before then I will fer sher be out there and will be camping fer sher for the weekend.
Carjeep-has there been any interest in the Tacoma part? I know I'll be there who else is planning on being there? I plan to bring the dirt bike if anyone else has toys..? I wanna try some of the free riding they got out there..

#19 ·
#25 · (Edited)
I'm not personally, but maybe some other guys might.

Would this require 4x4 or would I be good to go with my 2wd?
it will be 2wd friendly

#26 ·
as far as i know thats the only ocotillo in so cal that i know of. and yes its located around that area Ocotillo Wells SVRA

#27 · (Edited)
Ocotillo is very 2 wd friendly! Just have to pay attention but mostly it's hard packed with some washes here and there. Got the rack changed out and it's still making noises.. Soo next up are the tie rods.. It only started making noise after changing it the first time so maybe I over tightened then or under tightened it? Had my buddy mechanic look while I turned the wheels and he said tie rods so we shall see..
If a taco is leading, I think it'd be cool if a frontier led a seperate run so that way it's both in front and not just one or another.. Just personal opinion.
Any news on were everyone is to camp? I know where I'll be camping! Hahaha and anyone is welcomed to join if you please

Also Carjeep feel free to text me if you need help with anything. I know the area pretty well so can assist in planning if needed.. Also have a map or a few of the area. If you don't have my number lmk and I'll send you a message as I have your number saved!

Ryan!! It'll be sweet to finally see ya out and about again!! Looking forward to it man! Still have pics of us up on the back side of saddleback, that one run we went on were I believe sd_frontier hadda turn around and almost slid off the mountain.. Still have all those pics I'll havta send you when we get out there!

#30 ·
If I'm in just the truck then most likely on county line. It's usually pretty quiet over there. If I bring the moto the most likely pole line as I wanna try out some of the free riding out there. I'm a shy/quiet person and don't do real well in big groups of people while camping. There's always someone that doesn't "get" along.. And I just feel like I'm impeding on others when I go sit by the fire and everyone's already been talking. I'm down to camp with everyone if that was the plan, as I'd rather not be alone either.. But there's a few different areas just need to see how many people are going.. But most likely I will be at one of those 2 spots

#33 ·
And it gives you a convenient conversation segue to introduce yourself :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.