Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Reno area fall colors run 10/24 and 10/25

19K views 185 replies 17 participants last post by  pointmann1029 
#1 · (Edited)
Sat Oct 10/24: Hunter Lake Trail. Meet at the Chevron at Boomtown (I-80 exit 4) at 9:30 am.

Sun Oct 10/25: Peavine Mountain, west side. Meet at the Chevron at Boomtown (I-80 exit 4) at 9:30 am.

Hoping for fall colors.

Both these trails are stock *doable*. I have successfully spotted a completely stock Toyota Tundra through both trails with no damage. Having said that, there are rocks on both trails and even with a spotter there is potential for your rig to receive bumps and bruises. Requirements are 4WD, at least one recovery point, and no step rails/nerf bars. Mud flap removal recommended.

Attending:

1. JeniorNV - both days

2. MKNV - Sat

3. TruckIt - both days

4. jbumx2 - both days

5. Token Taco - Sat

6. pointmann1029 - Sat

7. Pathung - Sat

8. kode3 - Sat

9. Mr_Scott - maybe?

See less See more
#3 ·
We will do our best to make either weekend, just may need to find coverage for Sue if it is the 24th weekend.

#5 ·
A few people at the recent Hollister meet expressed interest in doing a Reno area run, so I'd like to see if I can get something going.

My own selfish desire is to plan this around the aspens in the higher elevations changing color. October is typically a good month, but with the weird weather we have had I'm not sure what they are looking like right now.

The two weekends I'm looking at are Oct 24/25 and Nov 7/8. Oct 24 is less than two weeks away, but I'm afraid November might be too late in the season for fall colors. I am planning on doing a scouting trip this coming weekend to see how the aspens are doing. My choice of weekend may end up changing based on their condition.

The trails I have in mind are HLT and the Squeeze Rock trail up to the top of Peavine Mountain. Both trails are stock *doable*. I have successfully spotted a completely stock Toyota Tundra through both trails with no damage. Having said that, there are rocks on both trails and even with a spotter there is potential for your rig to receive bumps and bruises. Requirements would be 4WD, at least one recovery point, and no step rails/nerf bars. Mud flap removal recommended.

What do you guys think? Is this something you are interested in having me put together?
I'm a maybe for both dates, still trying to convince the wife to do a Reno trip twice in a month.

#55 ·
Let me know when the snow shows up so we can finish the trip we started 3 years ago. I might be up during the holidays ; )

#17 · (Edited)
Reno area fall colors run?

PM or FB me a link...

What part of Peavine were they on? I was on the Verdi side. At around 5000 ft in elevation, there were young trees that were still yellowish-green. This pic was taken at 6000 ft. The younger trees nearby still had some orange leaves, but they were already losing them. I was surprised at the difference 1000 ft made. At higher elevations I would expect even fewer leaves.

The trees in this pic are about the same size and around the same elevation as the ones at Squeeze Rock. I wish I'd had time to check out that side of the mountain...maybe the situation is less bleak?

Anyone know how quickly aspens go from yellow-green to bald? It's not something a desert dweller gets to witness much...

#30 · (Edited)
Reno area fall colors run?

Well, looks like I'm out for this one as well!

I don't want to take the ford yet, I'll have to remove the steps and fab up some

Rock guards/skids for it.

You know that virtually nobody in this group has skids and that most of them have less wheeling experience than you, right? :p

#36 · (Edited)
Room is booked for 3 nights. Weather better be on our side!

Maybe on the way home I should test drive the 6 speed Frontier in Stockton and see how much they would give me for my 4 cyl sight unseen!

#44 · (Edited)
Spoiler alert.

Much prettier in person.

EDIT: And for those of you in Tennessee...yes, these are the kinds of fall colors those of us in Reno get excited about. :laugh:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.