Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Overlanding - Death Valley, CA

33K views 216 replies 22 participants last post by  tomr 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT: Dates are set. Click here for link to meet thread.

This would be really fun to do next spring, but I'd need to get myself a Tepui tent first. Anybody else in?

#4 ·
I would be interested, its been on our list too. Its a trip that I would want to know the other people going with me though. I'd go with people from here though. Most of you are alright:D haha

#6 ·
Glad you think so highly of us, and we'd love to have you along as well.

BCBrian mentioned a Mojave Road Trip, so we need to work out what we're doing and when... this fall seems like a good time for both desert runs; I suggested November as October's pretty packed for me at the moment.

Tepui Tents is headquartered in the next town from me; I'll check them out and see if a video can be taken of ingress/egress, and ladder strength; I'm sure that it's all quite user-friendly.

#5 ·
Neat video. That looks like a lot of fun.

Does anyone have a roof top tent and how do you like it? I'm curious because I spent 45 minutes watching videos on roof top tents and not one showed entrance and egress using the ladder. Is there a possible issue climbing up and down the ladder?

#9 ·
I'd like to do both Mojave and Death Valley, but not sure I can swing both trips this year. Each trip would likely require at least 4 days for me, and two of the days are just to drive down there and return home. Have you thought about any dates yet for the fall trip? Would you guys consider doing the trip during the week of Thanksgiving?

I bought a used tepui off craigslist last year. I ended up selling it a few weeks later without even using it. I set it up on my camper shell and did a dry run in my driveway to see how it would be like. Personally, it seemed more of a hassle compared to a ground tent. Opening up and closing the tent is the easy part. It's all the other stuff such as removing the cover and deploying the window awnings that made it seem cumbersome. Then when you need to fold up the roof tent, you have to undo all the awnings and put the cover back on. It actually took longer than deploying my ground tent. In my case, my lack of height and above the roofline canopy made things harder. If you don't have a canopy and are able to set it up over your bed, I can see how that would be totally convenient.

It totally looked cool though!

#12 ·
SCCX ran DV in November, I think ChrisHaynes headed that one up. They also just ran TMR in January, and I'm on the trip in April. I wouldn't mind trying to get in on a trip with you all and I can offer some tips after running the road in April. Also, if you want to explore the possibility of joining a TMR trip if you can't get a big group together, we're in the early stages of planning a Jan trip, running east first, staying in Laughlin to recover for one night, then heading back west.

Here are some posts from SCCX, to get you started.
http://www.socalxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=3593.0
http://www.socalxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=3012.0
http://www.socalxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=2610.0
http://www.socalxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=2952.0

#13 ·
Great to have your expertise with us, RikRong, and thanks for those links, which will help with our planning.

I'd prefer doing this in a smaller group of friends, so am leaning towards planning for our own group. Since Jen is unavailable for additional lengthy trips this year, I'd suggest doing this in the spring of next year, at Death Valley, when we can perhaps catch a glimpse of wild flowers in bloom (mid Feb. to mid April). We could probably do TMR in the fall of 2017, to cap off the year with a great run.

With such early notice, we should be able to get at least 6 or 7 rigs, size of which would be perfect.

#14 ·
Since Jen is unavailable for additional lengthy trips this year, I'd suggest doing this in the spring of next year, at Death Valley, when we can perhaps catch a glimpse of wild flowers in bloom (mid Feb. to mid April). We could probably do TMR in the fall of 2017, to cap off the year with a great run.

If this ends up being the plan, these trips will be high priority 2017 items for me. I'd really like to do both.

#15 ·
2017 will also work much better for me as I'll have much more flexibility. Graduate in May of 2017, so around spring break in the spring or summer/fall would work the best for me.

#19 ·
Back in - people gotta work, ya know!

It's also too far out for me to say for sure, but that week (including 2nd weekend of April) could work, though it probably won't coincide with my son's spring break (it's usually earlier). Additionally, are you (Jen) planning on skipping GoneMoab 2017, as this would cut pretty close to the usual Moab week? Hence my original thought of doing DV in Feb./March, so as to allow you Moab die-hards to go on that as well.

#21 ·
I'm pretty flexible but was trying to work within a time frame that was suggested.

Early April isn't too close to Moab for me. Weather and road conditions traveling to and from this area would be a minor consideration for me but would be unlikely to affect my attendance. Although I will say that white out conditions on highway 95 are something I hope never to experience again. :)

#22 ·
Here is a link to the current wildflower update for DV:
Wildflower Update 2016 - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Timing is critical to be able to see wildflowers in DV and temperatures in April may be too high for flowers. The bloom is happening in several area's already this year and expected to happen in other area's soon. There are also a few road closures due to flood damage that need to be considered.

Both these trips are priorities of mine as well. I was actually hoping to do one of these this year but since most of you have decided to delay going until 2017, I'll wait as I would prefer to go with the group.

I think it would be an excellent idea to have someone who has been out there before to join us rather than trying to figure it out with second hand information.

This is an excellent site with extensive info on the area:
Exploring Wild Death Valley with the Old Trailmaster

#35 ·
Bridgeport/Mammoth area is another spot I've been wanting to explore. There are a lot of trails and interesting stuff to see out there. Laurel Lakes trail has been calling to me.....

#39 ·
Here's my Charles Wells book's trail description for "Racetrack (moving rocks) Via Hunter Mountain"; I haven't compared the route here with ones found in Rick's links earlier, but they're most likely similar. This loop is 85 miles long, and there are two other trails of similar difficulty level in the Lone Pine area that can be added in order to fill out our multi-day wheeling trip, if necessary.

#41 ·
#42 ·
just say when and where and ill be there!!!!

#44 ·
Full Disclosure

Since I have gone over to the DARK SIDE and bought my X, I have been spending a lot more time on TheNewX. While I still plan on joining you folks on the trip to DV next year, I have committed to a 5 day trip in November 2016.

The folks who are organizing this run have been out there many times, so this will be a great learning experience for future runs. I have already learned that there is a MAXIMUM group size of 12 vehicles in DV. Splitting the group can get around this rule, which is what these folks have planned.

I just wanted to let you know before someone spilled the beans.

#45 ·
Since I have gone over to the DARK SIDE and bought my X, I have been spending a lot more time on TheNewX. While I still plan on joining you folks on the trip to DV next year, I have committed to a 5 day trip in November 2016.

The folks who are organizing this run have been out there many times, so this will be a great learning experience for future runs. I have already learned that there is a MAXIMUM group size of 12 vehicles in DV. Splitting the group can get around this rule, which is what these folks have planned.

I just wanted to let you know before someone spilled the beans.
Danny Grooters is leading that run. He's a good dude. :thumbsup:

#46 ·
I'm pretty sure if any of the frontier crew want to join before the spots are all filled up you will be welcome. It is likely that grooters will take his Frontier anyway as I am not sure if he has his X fixed after almost totaling it the week before Moab 2 years ago. He is making it a true trail rig and has a Frontier for his business and has been running it for most runs the past year and a half.

#48 ·
You hit it on the head, it's not exclusively X's whoever wants to come is invited. He's converting his Xterra to a race truck.
I may be joining you in DV for this trip Brian. I just need to get approval from work for the time off.
Yes! I signed up also, this should be a good trip.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#50 ·
You don't HAVE to have one as everyone also has CB's... it is only a recommendation. BTW.... I would like to do the Mojave Road in the spring. That is what I've been planning.....

If anyone is even considering going on the nov TNX trip, I'd strongly suggest you sign up NOW, as there are only 3 slots left!

#57 ·
The main reason why we tabled these two trips (DV and TMR) to 2017 was so that Jen can come along as well (she's all "tripped-up" for 2016), so the plan is DV in the spring, and TMR in the fall of 2017.

As for this fall, I'd be interested in doing the Shaver Lake (includes Bald Mountain) area; according to my book, there are a bunch of rock-crawling type trails in that vicinity, and I'd like to get schooled on rocks. Would August be too hot? September would work for me. I'm however out for the first weekend of October for more racing, but past that, I'm mostly good. Should we do a separate thread for this possible early-fall run?

#58 ·
As for this fall, I'd be interested in doing the Shaver Lake (includes Bald Mountain) area; according to my book, there are a bunch of rock-crawling type trails in that vicinity, and I'd like to get schooled on rocks. Would August be too hot? September would work for me. I'm however out for the first weekend of October for more racing, but past that, I'm mostly good. Should we do a separate thread for this possible early-fall run?

I would happily volunteer to lead some trails in the Shaver Lake area but summer (July/August) would be the only time I could do so.

#65 ·
I would like to join missed the spring super bloom this year! I slept in my 5.5' truck bed canopy did solo camping last week. santa clara county. It was actually not bad sleeping diagonally/fetal once in a while. Better milage than having a RTT in my opinion. Please let me know your plans I would like to join. I am doing contractual work so i can miss a day.
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.