Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Last Chance Canyon early spring

14K views 120 replies 16 participants last post by  BCBrian 
#1 · (Edited)
The date is set for Sat April 26th. I will be arriving there on thu afternoon and probably staying till mon. I'm hoping someone else will want to run at least 1 additional day of trails because one trail and bail does not work for me.

N 35.36168 W 117.89852 This is the start point for Last Chance. We will plan to meet at this point at 9am on sat April 26th.

We will be at the Jawbone store and gas station prior to heading to the start. It is located on Hwy 14 about 5 miles east of the trailhead at these coordinates: N 35.29589 W 118.00641.

Let's get out for some time in the desert dirt before it gets too hot.

C'mon So Cal folks.... I'd love to meet some of you and run some great trails!

Picture threads from last time....
Last Chance Canyon
Red Rock/Jawbone/Dove Springs

Besides these area's there are a bunch of other trails nearby.

Attendee's:
1. BCBrian 100% Fri, Sat, Sun? Frontier
2. Frontier279 maybe Frontier
3. Nomad13 95% Fri, Sat Frontier (5% reserved for 3 yr old kid issues!)
4. JeniorNV 80% Sat Frontier
5. CarJEEP 100% Fri, Sat Frontier
6. snutty 100% Sat (TNX) XTerra
7. Jess05SE 99.9% Sat (TNX) XTerra
8. dan826 100% Fri, Sat Frontier
9. deantac 100% Fri, Sat (EXPO) Jeep
10. tomrejzek 100% Fri, Sat (TNX) XTerra
11. KiwiKurt 100% Sat (EXPO) XTerra

See less See more
#2 ·
What part of SoCal are we talking?? I'm in for a run :)

#5 ·
I'll go if I can swing it. Would love to get out to LCC

#7 ·
There should be plenty of time for you to get your parts installed and dialed in. I really hope that you can make it so put it on the calendar!

#11 ·
The date is flexible for me

I am open to set this meet up on a w/e where the most people can make it. I doubt that waiting till the 18-19th will matter too much as far as the heat goes.

This is the reason I decided to post this 4 months in advance, so if you are interested but the original dates don't work for you.... please post up with the dates you can attend.

C'mon Jen, you KNOW you want to join in!! What dates could you commit to?

#12 ·
C'mon Jen, you KNOW you want to join in!! What dates could you commit to?
Of course I want to join in. I've wanted to join in since I saw the pics you posted last year. But what dates could I COMMIT to? Right now...none.

Pick whichever weekend works best for the people who CAN commit to a date. If I can make it, I will.

#15 ·
That would certainly help. I'll start planting some seeds. She did buy me a new tent for X-mas so maybe this will be a good chance to get it out in the wild haha! Bare minimum we'll need to find camping with potties ; )

#19 ·
Bare minimum we'll need to find camping with potties ; )
The Ricardo CG has walled pit toilets that are open to the sky! Jawbone has pit toilets in small structures.

This is in Jawbone Canyon

#18 ·
Not considering that her typical idea of "roughing" it is 4 stars :laugh:
I did tell y'all that I was the only one of 200 people that took an RV to Desert Rendezvous right?? That was her first and only "camping" trip with me so far. Baby steps haha!

#20 ·
I've been to LCC a hand full of times and we always just find an open area to camp out. And I like the shovel idea. As for dates not to sure.

#21 ·
Here are some random pics I got from my Facebook

#23 ·
I am interested:) Can't commit to anything just yet but sounds like a good time. Consider me 50% committed right now. I would want to camp and would be bringing my girlfriend. If we do jawbone, is anyone interested in bringing motos? I've always wanted to ride up there, but unless someone else wants to I don't want to lug my bike all the way up there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#24 · (Edited)
I ran LCC with my son on Thanksgiving in 2012...we ran several trails in the area, but we were headed towards the Burro Schmidt tunnel. This 2000' solid granite tunnel was dug over a period of 38 years, and is well worth checking out. Here's a few pics...

Alex inside the tunnel

Bikes gathered at the east end of the tunnel

Plaque commemorating Schmidt's dig

Burro Schmidt camp a little farther down the road. This site used to be pretty cool, but traffic through the area and vandalism have taken their toll

Eastern trail head that leads into the area.

#25 ·
Thanks for sharing but... that is actually the camp at Burro Schmidt's claim.

Bickle Camp was just a little further east and has all kinds of machinery and several outbuildings and even an old Datsun truck!

#27 ·
Bump

It has been about a month since I posted this and there hasn't been any more suggestions for a good date or any more interest since the initial group of folks.

Thought I'd give it a bump and see if anyone has any input.

Still planning on doing this....

#29 ·
As of now, I am still planning on camping in Jawbone Canyon which is off of Hwy 14. There are several camping area's on the right side of the road as you head back into the Canyon and are pretty close to the hwy.

I took a look at the map and while it does not show the camp area's, if I remember correctly they are located on the first couple miles of the main road.

#30 ·
I'm still tentative. I'd need to drive home on Sunday, so I'm trying to decide how dumb it would be to drive all the way down there to run trails for one day and camp for one night.

How about 4/26 & 27? Every other weekend between mid-March and mid-May is one that either someone has already specifically stated that they can't make, or is a holiday (Easter, Mother's Day).

#31 ·
I don't have a problem with those dates. I will say that I will probably get down there on thursday and leave for home on monday. Hopefully that will open some options for other folks to make it a long weekend.

So, how about the rest of you folks? Does April 24/25th - 28th work for you?

I would like to get the dates firmed up so that other people can consider coming.

#32 ·
Still tentative for this but hoping I can get out for at least a day or two. I'll keep you posted.

#35 ·
N 35.36168 W 117.89852 This is the start point for Last Chance. If we are going to go out there we should run more than just 1 trail. See my previous post's for more info.

SO HOW ABOUT IT FOLKS? IS ANYONE ELSE STILL INTERESTED?

Please advise the trail head start point. I am curios if this is central California or a little more southerly ... Mohave Desert ish?
Thanks .

Brgds. ::smile::

#37 · (Edited)
I'm still a maybe depending on the date and when I start school. Don't know what day I'll have class but odds are I will make it since I'll only be taking on class.

One*

I'll know by the 23rd or so

#38 · (Edited)
So is anyone else planning on attending this? I can only be down there long enough to run a trail on Saturday and camp Saturday night and then I've gotta head home, but I don't think Brian wants to make the drive if he can't go for at least a couple days, so this trip happening probably depends entirely on whether anyone else will make it. I need to book a hotel room for Friday night, so it would be really nice to know if this thing is happening. Everyone who showed interest initially has been really quiet lately.

I don't really understand why when someone posts a meet at an off road park, everyone is all gung ho about it, but stuff like this Last Chance Canyon run seems to generate a lot less interest. At Hollister Hills and Prairie City and Cow Mountain, you pay a fee to enter (except Cow Mtn) and then drive around in circles on a bunch of crowded trails with nothing really interesting to look at.

Stuff like this LCC run...this stuff is soooo much cooler. You get to be out in the wilderness. With beautiful natural scenery. Fantastic views. Wildlife. Historical sites. But this forum as a whole seems like it would rather do all of its off roading at a park. I really don't get it. Yeah, I know it's a little bit of a further drive. But if I'm going to drive a long distance, I want to feel like it was worth my while. And trails are so much worthwhile than parks. You people live in California. Don't you want to get away from civilization sometimes?

The absolute coolest trail I have ever done is Bald Mountain. The Nor Cal group started talking about that one months in advance. That's the best trail I have ever done - by a long shot. The trail is ridiculously fun. The area is breathtakingly beautiful. It truly puts Hollister Hills to shame. It takes 6 hours for me to get to the trailhead, but I have done it three times now. Because it's worth it. It's amazing. I've even done it as a day trip - 6 hours out, 8 hours on the trail, 6 hours home. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

When the CF meet at Bald Mountain came up, nobody wanted to go. 05Fronty4x and I were the ONLY forum members who went. But a few months later a meet was announced at Frank Raines park...and six trucks showed up. :confused:

I have high expectations for LCC. It sounds fantastic.

I can't make any of you go to LCC, so I guess the purpose of this rant was mostly to make myself feel better. But I'm hoping that some of you who have been quiet will commit soon. This trail run sounds like a blast. Come on guys, let's go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.