Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Hunter Lake Trail and Some Canyons, NV September 13-14

12K views 94 replies 7 participants last post by  JeniorNV 
#1 · (Edited)
It's time for another Reno area trail run.

Saturday's plan is Hunter Lake Trail. This trail can be done in a stock rig. There is one spot where careful tire placement (and possibly a spotter) will be required for a stock truck with no sliders. The rest of the trail is easy peasy. This trail starts in the middle of Reno, passes through the Mount Rose wilderness, and terminates near I-80 in Verdi. When we get to the end, anyone who has had enough can feel free to head out. Time permitting, those who want to continue on can continue just across the freeway and into Dog Valley.

On Sunday, we will be doing Prozac Canyon and Schoolbus Canyon. Prozac Canyon contains a moderate rock garden (with many lines to choose from). Schoolbus Canyon runs through a wash. Rock sliders and 32" all terrain or mud terrain tires with good tread are mandatory. These trails have neat desert scenery and wildlife sightings are frequent. There are a couple old mines in the area that we can stop at, depending on the group's wishes. We'll pass Pyramid Lake on the way up.

SATURDAY: Meet at the Scolari's at 4788 Caughlin Parkway in Reno at 9:30 am.

SUNDAY: Meet at the Burger King at 9700 Pyramid Way in Sparks at 9:30 am.

Please post up if you have questions or plan to attend.

1. JeniorNV - both days (+1-2 for Saturday, +1 for Sunday)
2. TruckIt - both days

See less See more
#3 ·
looking to do both days, drive up Friday and take Monday off so we can rest Sunday night and drive back when the rest of the world and people that have never seen a mountain are not trying to white knuckle their way back across 80 in the SUV they rented when they are used to driving a Prius every day.

Please check the Stanislaus trip post for info regarding CB and FRS so we can be sure that all parts of the bus will be able to hear and be heard throughout the trip.

#4 ·
Just a reminder this is out there guys. It is not really all that far off and I really hope some of the other NV folk come out so I can meet some more crazy people that like to take a perfectly good truck and intentionally scratch the paint and bounce it off rocks.

Mr. Scott, I do hope we will see you on this run now that you have your new axle in.

#6 · (Edited)
Did they take it back in for other repairs? I expect it is the other guys insurance you are fighting with. Why is your company not just getting it fixed and then chasing down the other one for the costs along with the fees from chasing them down? I do not remember you saying this accident was your fault.....

Oh, I will have Sue and the mutt with me, so not any other spots for passengers, but maybe someone has a seat if you are ok letting someone else do the driving while you become the official picture taker...

#8 ·
No, I demanded a re inspection after four attempts at fixing the damage to the rear frame. Low and behold, my concerns are justified as the new shop has found multiple issues. Hope to know if it's time to lawyer up tomorrow.

I'll put you down as tentative for both trips. It totally sucks having one of my favorite wheeling buds out of commission during prime wheeling season...although I realize that it sucks a lot more for you. :(
Yeah this is pretty much a big load of crap. Keep your fingers crossed for me:frown:

#17 ·
I expect you have started the run for the day. Let us know if we are going to throughly enjoy ourselves next month!

#18 · (Edited)
As far as Sunday goes, here's the deal...

Kings Canyon is a cool trail. Most of the trail is easy, but it has enough rocks/uneven sections/water crossings/mud to make things interesting. It's a shelf road and has neat views. The section of trail where the rock slide occurred is a little challenging, and I would most definitely strongly recommend sliders. I was on a good line when I started the section, but my truck decided to randomly slide about 6 inches sideways and I ended up dragging a slider along a rock for a few feet. Overall I liked the trail...it was fun.

Genoa Peak would have been an awesome trail from a scenery/view perspective if it hadn't been so hazy/smoky today. It's a very pretty trail and has incredible views of Lake Tahoe. But having said that...from the standpoint of challenging/technical/interesting, it fell short of my expectations. Granted, we didn't drive it all the way through like I had planned for next month (we drove up to the peak and back out the way we came in). But the portion of the trail that I did do today...the first half of the trail is little more than a gravel road. The second half isn't much more interesting. I think I could probably get my Pontiac Vibe about two thirds of the way up to the peak, and the biggest reason I wouldn't be able to make it all the way is just because the trail gets a little steep.

Kings Canyon is a short trail...we spent about two hours on it, so the bulk of the trip was the Genoa Peak trail. These trails start about 45 minutes outside of Reno, so it is a little bit of a drive just to get to them.

So I would like to ask for input from those of you who are signed up for this run (definites and tentatives). I'm local, and I don't really care what we do, but some of you are driving a long way. Do you think the two hours on the fun trail and the Lake Tahoe views would make this trip worth your while? Or would you like me to pick something different for Sunday? Please speak up!

#29 · (Edited)
I've made an executive decision to change Sunday's plan. The more I ponder it, the more I can't bring myself to take a bunch of out-of-towners on a trail that ended up disappointing me. Given the composition of the group that is signed up so far, I think Prozac Canyon will be a better bang-for-the-buck trail. This trail is located in the desert east of Pyramid Lake. This run has a lot to offer in the way of desert scenery, old mines, and wildlife sightings (antelope, wild horses, wild burros, deer, coyotes, etc are frequently spotted).

Prozac Canyon used to be a completely stock friendly trail, but a massive flash flood that occurred a year or two ago changed that. The canyon now contains a moderately challenging rock garden, but it shouldn't pose any major problems for trucks with sliders and a good set of tires. The rock garden is broad enough to offer numerous options for choosing creative lines or playing pinball. For anyone looking for more of a Sunday stroll, there is an easy path through the rocks once you get through one little tricky spot near beginning. Time permitting (and we should have time, provided there are no big hiccups on Prozac) we will come back through Schoolbus Canyon. This trail runs through a sandy/rocky wash and terminates at a pair of old school buses that somehow made their way out into the middle of BFE.

Be aware that the trailhead is about 40 miles from the meeting spot, so it is a little bit of a drive to get there.

First post updated accordingly.

#30 ·
That works. Sue thinks it might be interesting if her Mother decided to shop at that Save Mart while we were meeting up. Should prove entertaining for the group as we have not heard fro her in 3 years and she really does not like either of us anymore. Going off your meds and listening to your youngest daughter that thinks you are worth a lot of money so she does not want to share with her siblings can make an older woman become completely spun!

#32 ·
Crickets in this thread too, so hopefully nobody is upset about the change in plan. I promise this is a much better trail, even if it is lacking a few trees.

I do vaguely remember you saying something about your MIL and that Save Mart in Spanish Springs a while back. That BK is my "go to" meeting spot for Pyramid area trail runs because it's convenient to gas and food, and it's easy to find.

Is John planning on making it sat or sun?
He plans on going at least one day.

#33 ·
So, I would like to verify that you are not planning any sort of camping for this trip; it is just 2 day runs? And it will be nice to meet the adult that let's you go play when you want to. :)

Plan to drive up Friday Night and back Monday after 10 am. Sue will get up and work from the hotel from 7 to 10 Monday, then do some documentation while we go over the pass and then just tether her phone and work out of the X the rest of the way home as her counterpart already has that day off so they can't both be off, but her boss has OKed this plan.

Will book the rooms for this a little later, but have booked the PTO, so we are definately going!

#34 · (Edited)
I'm not planning any sort of camping. I already have a place to stay. ;)

I actually haven't mentioned camping because nobody has asked about it. If anybody wants to camp (I know you don't), I can certainly make some recommendations for either campgrounds with fees and bathrooms, or free camping with no bathrooms.

I'm not sure if my husband will go on either trail run. Even when the runs are local, he usually doesn't. But if we decide to go out to dinner on Saturday night (which we sometimes do, and I'm always open to), he'll probably go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.