Nissan Frontier Forum banner

7th Annual Hollister Hills camping/wheeling trip 5/5 - 5/7

11K views 77 replies 13 participants last post by  RikRong 
#1 · (Edited)
Lucky number 7! Let's get the group together for a shakedown run before most of us head to Moab later in May. This is also JeniorNVs birthday, so come out to celebrate with us!

If you are interested, please respond with the dates and percentage of certainty that you will attend.

As per years past, some of us may arrive on the 4th to secure the compound in Sycamore camp. This CG has FREE hot showers and plenty of room for our group. Follow the access rd uphill from the entrance to the Upper Ranch and you will find the CG.

All rigs and abilities are encouraged to join us! HH has trails and obstacle courses that are fun for rigs from stock to heavily modified. The majority of trails are rated blue or moderate.

Attendee's:
1. BCBrian 5/5 early - 5/7 100%
2. R00 5/5 - 5/7 100%
3. JeniorNV 5/5 late - 5/7 100%
4. crewmaxxis 5/5 early 100%
5. jfrey123 5/5 late - 5/7 100%
6. Sixspeed-SV 5/5 late - 5/7 100%
7. RikRong 5/5 late - 5/7 100%
8. jbumx2 5/5 late - 5/6 60%
9. tomr 5/5 early - 5/7 100%
10. aaronsen 5/6 early - 5/7 100%
11. all_you_can_eat_taco (OB) 5/5 - 5/7 100%
12. chito frontier 5/5 late - 5/7 100% (In his PRIUS!)
13. mfed 5/6 10%
14. Enjoi408 5/6 100%

See less See more
#5 ·
OK..... please post interested peoples names here with the days they will attend and their percentage of certainty. I'll add them to the list.

#6 ·
Put me down, 100%. If work throws me a curve ball, I'll update. I'll come up either Friday night or Saturday morning, I haven't determined yet.

Do I need to make reservations or is it large group CG?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Of course you are welcome to join us but many of the trails we run require 4WD. There are some trails in the lower park that are doable in 2WD but for the others it would be best if you rode with someone with 4WD. If the ground is dry we might be able to get you to the top of the park, Hector Heights.

Here is a link to the map: Hollister Hills Upper Ranch 4WD area

Let me know if you are coming so I can add you to the list.

#15 ·
1 month to go! I did some recon this past weekend and found some interesting erosion and some trails that have been graded. I will be arriving early and my plan is to walk some of the area's that we did not drive, so I can be sure not to lead the group into a mess.

The fire pit that I ran into has been replaced with a concrete one that will be perfect for our bonfire. I have 2 bundles of wood and a box of kindling that I will bring, so if a few of you folks grab a bundle we should be set. Also I checked the showers and both of them are working this year.

Bring some alcohol wipes as the Poison Oak crop is HUGE after all the rain we have had! Safeway sells a pop up container for $5 and it is money well spent....

#16 ·
I have 2 bundles of wood and a box of kindling that I will bring, so if a few of you folks grab a bundle we should be set.

I'll bring a couple bundles of that bug free firewood I get at Safeway. I know it's not great stuff, but trying to buy wood in California on my way down would be a hassle.

I'm trying to figure out my sleeping arrangements after the Death Valley wind nightmare left my tent in barely-usable (possibly unusable) condition.

I'm excited. What a great way to spend my birthday. :)

#17 ·
I'll bring a bundle too. Are we going to work a group dinner on Saturday, similar to what we did at Hungry Valley?

Also, I'll be arriving late Friday. Do the gates stay open so I can come in the park? I know you said the trails close, but I was wondering about the park too.

#18 ·
I'll bring a bundle too. Are we going to work a group dinner on Saturday, similar to what we did at Hungry Valley?

Also, I'll be arriving late Friday. Do the gates stay open so I can come in the park? I know you said the trails close, but I was wondering about the park too.
We usually just fend for ourselves as far as dinner goes but if R00 wants to bring that awesome stove and go for the taco feed again on sat night, I'M IN!

They lock the gate to the Upper Ranch. I still have your cell phone # and will text you the gate lock combination on friday.

Check out the map that I posted earlier in the thread for the entrance location.

#22 · (Edited)
Sat night Taco feed!

I spoke with R00 yesterday and he has agreed to bring his awesome 2 burner stand up stove along. Bring your favorite meat, salsa, guacamole, cheese, veggies, beans, chips or other toppings to share and we will have a feast on sat night! This worked out really well at the Hungry Valley run last year.

If you have an idea what you are bringing, post here and I will update the list.

Taco Feed contributions:

BCBrian - Grilled Chicken
JeniorNV - Tortillas and paper plates
RikRong - Carne Asada

#41 ·
I spoke with R00 yesterday and he has agreed to bring his awesome 2 burner stand up stove along. Bring your favorite meat, salsa, guacamole, cheese, veggies, beans, chips or other toppings to share and we will have a feast on sat night! This worked out really well at the Hungry Valley run last year.

If you have an idea what you are bringing, post here and I will update the list.

Taco Feed contributions:

RikRong - Carne Asada

John will bring salsa, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.

Should be a balanced meal now. :)

#24 ·
I'd suggest tortillas as taco shells need to be heated up in an oven and we can warm the tortillas on the stove.

#31 ·
Dead Tree's

When I was in the park a couple weeks ago, there were numerous tree's partially blocking trails and about to fall on the trails. If you have a chainsaw please bring it with you in case we get in a situation where we are blocked and cannot turn around.

Thanks

#32 · (Edited)
When I was in the park a couple weeks ago, there were numerous tree's partially blocking trails and about to fall on the trails. If you have a chainsaw please bring it with you in case we get in a situation where we are blocked and cannot turn around.

Thanks
what size chainsaw and will they (park Rangers) let us clear the trails?

I've got a Husqvarna! :chainsaw:

#40 · (Edited)
Excellent Tom! We will be setting up in Sycamore Camp and monitoring CH 22 if we are on the trail already.

Stop at the lower ranch and pay your fee's. They will give you the gate combo and a map if you ask for one. Turn right when you come back out to the rd. The entrance to the upper ranch is about 1 mile S at the old school house on the right. Follow McCray Rd up the hill and do not turn right at the intersections. You will come right into Sycamore Camp. We will be set up on the right before the restrooms. JR and I should be there by 9 or so.

#42 · (Edited)
Taco Feed contribution list

R00 has agreed to bring his awesome 2 burner stand up stove along. Bring your favorite meat, salsa, guacamole, cheese, veggies, beans, chips or other toppings to share and we will have a taco feast on sat night!

Taco Feed contributions:

R00 - Stove and cook!
RikRong - Carne Asada
jfrey123 - Salsa, cheese, lettuce, tomato
tomr - Guacamole and chips

#44 ·
R00 has agreed to bring his awesome 2 burner stand up stove along. Bring your favorite meat, salsa, guacamole, cheese, veggies, beans, chips or other toppings to share and we will have a taco feast on sat night!

Taco Feed contributions:

RikRong - Carne Asada
jfrey123 - Salsa, cheese, lettuce, tomato

Anyone else? How about some guacamole and chips?
I will bring the guac and chips

Also Brian- I can be there Friday morning by 9am. And I replaced my CB antenna with a 5 foot Firestik.

#43 ·
There is a small chance I could be up north for work the week of the trip. If this happens, I'll probably be able to be at the CG earlier on Friday. I'll update accordingly, if it happens.

#52 ·
Yes, this meet is still on. There is a very slight chance of rain on saturday (less than 5%) and it goes up to about 50% on sunday. Watching the forecast predictions, HH will be right on the southern edge of any possible rainfall.

Tom and I are meeting in camp at 9AM on friday for anyone who wants to arrive early and get some trail time in before the weekend crowd arrives.

#54 ·
^60% chance for Saturday night, so people will want to pack their camping gear accordingly.
I have no idea where you are seeing that but the forecast that I find to be the most accurate for this area does not agree.

#56 ·
#58 ·
Your phone app sure shows something different than I see on my computer. It gives me the full 10 day forecast that includes line charts for temp, rainfall, wind speed and humidity.

It still says 9% chance of rain at midnight and less during the day.

#60 ·
R00 made the mistake of telling me about this so I must submit my usual "definite maybe for Saturday" depending on my very random, short-notice work schedule of late. And if I do make it I won't make anyone "wait for stragglers" this time.

I'll do my best to keep you posted as soon I know more on my end...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.