Why use Shock hoops? and axle over springs? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why use Shock hoops? and axle over springs?

So i must be like those people who start threads and the next post is the answer to a link in the forum.

why is it that shock hoops get more front travel? Because the bigger shock have a bigger difference between compression and extension?

why does big rear spring with axle over get more travel then the same spring and axle under? Or to simplify it, if there is x amount of space between bump stop and axle or spring depending on set up would it not still only travel x distance?

Trying to find a set up to go big, i been hitting the stops way to hard in the dunes and broke the terminal off the stock battery. Just only want to do this once and right.

Thanks

"as i lay rubber down to street, i pray for traction i can keep, but if i spin and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride...amen"
2007 SE 4x4 CC LB Black .............................................Wrecker 426's Truck Build
Sadly traded in on 02NOV2012 for a Black 2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2 for the wife "i'll be back" in a few years due to her car being totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You don't need shock hoops. Front shock hoops only allow you to run longer shocks. I ran just a 2.5 Titan Swap for about 2 years in the desert with no problem. Unfortunately, you will never get the truck to be like the big A arm buggies.

Since you are a 4X4, you will only get about 14-15 of travel in the front with out causing major cv binding. Also, for the rear, just run an Alcan custom built 10 or 11 pack rear leaf pack with a good set of rear 2.5's with a remote reservoir. Without doing a shock tower through the bed, you will not get big travel numbers in the rear either. You can also look at getting a set of hydro bumps welded in the front.

Bottom line, it's a truck and unless you get a custom front 4X4 setup, you will not get 20 inches of travel in the front. I don't even think the 2wd guys can get that.

I work because somebody has to pay for all the lifelong welfare entitlements. Redistributionomics 101
#3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TerribleOne Send a message via Yahoo to TerribleOne
You are partially correct; the stock coilbuckets limit you to a 6" stroke shock thus limiting your potential travel. In addition to that the stock coil buckets are fairly weak, shock hoops can be built to be quite a bit stronger and hold up to a lot more abuse.

In regards to the rear springs; you are confused. Spring under will net more travel; for instance I am running a 64" spring under leaf spring that is strapped at 21" of travel. The longer spring with more arch allows for more travel while retaining decent driveline angles when set up properly. You are correct that your bump travel is limited to ride height and the distance the axle is mounted from the frame; but you can still achieve plenty more droop travel. If I remember correctly my truck is set up at about 10" of bump and 11" of droop using a 16" shock.

One thing to really keep in mind; the travel numbers are not nearly as important as proper geometry and shock tuning. Basically what I am trying to say is; a truck set up and valved properly at 14" of travel will walk all over a poorly setup truck with 20"+ travel in the dirt.

#4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Premium Member

Garage
Thank you both for the quick replies. Only looking for about 14 in the front max and now know that's about all i could get so not mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes3281 View Post
I ran just a 2.5 Titan Swap for about 2 years in the desert with no problem...... since you are a 4X4, you will only get about 14-15 of travel in the front with out causing major cv binding. Also, for the rear, just run an Alcan custom built 10 or 11 pack rear leaf pack with a good set of rear 2.5's with a remote reservoir. Without doing a shock tower through the bed, you will not get big travel numbers in the rear either. You can also look at getting a set of hydro bumps welded in the front.
How much travel did you get i saw they were only getting 8 inches. I had looked at PRG titan Mid travel kit, but that might be ridiculously wide but can get 14 with shock hoop. And will only going to be living in the desert for about four years and about two of them out of country. then back to fast trail riding

Also hydro bumb stop is a must no matter the set up, IMO anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleOne View Post
stock coil buckets are fairly weak, shock hoops can be built to be quite a bit stronger and hold up to a lot more abuse....One thing to really keep in mind; the travel numbers are not nearly as important as proper geometry and shock tuning. Basically what I am trying to say is; a truck set up and valved properly at 14" of travel will walk all over a poorly setup truck with 20"+ travel in the dirt.
Is there anyone on here that has made them and could get a drawing and write up diagram, and if i went with and 2" BL with tall tall shock hoops would that help. Or would i be better with a db, but they add bad torque if to nose of a hit.

Also about the rear springs, i think im starting to understand it. the picture is working in my mind just only 95% there. i was going to go custom and didn't want to strap them would i be better with axle over then right. But if i don't get huge and strap them would it be the same?

"as i lay rubber down to street, i pray for traction i can keep, but if i spin and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride...amen"
2007 SE 4x4 CC LB Black .............................................Wrecker 426's Truck Build
Sadly traded in on 02NOV2012 for a Black 2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2 for the wife "i'll be back" in a few years due to her car being totaled
#5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You still might want to strap your rear axle so you don't cause premature wear on the angle of the U joints on the driveshaft. I will probably have about 14 in the front, but I will be running a 10" coilover with a shock tower, and will be 5.5 over per side.

You would still be happy with a T Swap and a good tuned 2.5 coilover in the front. For the rear, run a custom leaf from Alcan or Deaver, and a good tuned smooth body shock. I used to run through the whoops at 40 all day long with that set up.

I work because somebody has to pay for all the lifelong welfare entitlements. Redistributionomics 101
#6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 AM
H8R
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm also tired of these dam coil buckets. I want shock hoops, especially since it allows for FAR more coil-overs choices...in both size and brand.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Premium Member

Garage
40 mph is the exact speed i would want to go, not much faster to much brush around here! BA if you ask me!

I have only done the most simplistic lift in my past, didn't know there where bad lifts, to redneck i guess, this is the first one im actually doing more then a mall crawl lift so to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes3281 View Post
You still might want to strap your rear axle so you don't cause premature wear on the angle of the U joints on the driveshaft. I will probably have about 14 in the front, but I will be running a 10" coilover with a shock tower, and will be 5.5 over per side.

You would still be happy with a T Swap and a good tuned 2.5 coilover in the front. For the rear, run a custom leaf from Alcan or Deaver, and a good tuned smooth body shock. I used to run through the whoops at 40 all day long with that set up.
Do you have a picture and maybe a direction to go with strapping the rear end, never seen it before.

2.5 is the diameter if im not mistaken, can we fit a 3.0? Also are you running coil buckets with a 10" on a tswap? Not 100% shure what you mean my 5.5 over per side im assuming inches of extra travel?

I was going to go with saw's just because i get an external res and they are 100% red, from PRG. whats you oppinion on a good tunned front coilover?

Also you would have a shock tower in the front? thoguht people only did that with bag a arm buggies because they mount so close together, but then again idk much

BTW nice rims..haha..had mine since august..love them

Last edited by Wrecker426; 02-23-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling
#8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Premium Member

Garage
Does anybody know what length coil overs get me the most lift and travel with titan swap and 4x4?

#9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-64D Longbow View Post
Does anybody know what length coil overs get me the most lift and travel with titan swap and 4x4?
You can only fit 6" shocks with stock coil-buckets and a regular titan swap on a 4x4. At least that's what my truck told me when it got titan swapped.

2005 CC SE 6MT 4x4 - Avalanche White
Titan Swap: 2.5 S.A.W. Ext Res C/O's|PRG UCA|PRG Shackles|Deaver AAL|Bilstein Rear Shocks
M205 Front Diff|Titan Shafts|PRG TRE|4.56 Superior Gears|M226 Rear Diff w/ TrueTrac LSD
2" Body Lift|35" BFGoodrich KM2 M/T|17x9 KMC Addicts|AFe CAI|Superchips Tuner|XTP IMS
Hefty Fabworks Full Skid Plate Set|Shrockworks Front/Rear Bumper, Rock Sliders and Rear Diff Cover
#10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Premium Member

Garage
Cool man thanks!

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.