Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Sway bar removal.

31K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  Hrc630 
#1 ·
So I ran across a few people suggesting the removal of the front sway bar. At first I dismissed the idea as blasphemy, but decided I liked the idea for off roading and the fact that disconnects aren't available or likely even possible.

I had a look at what would be involved and lo and behold it couldn't get much simpler so I figured I would give it a go. So after removal of the 6- 17mm(I had to use a crescent wrench to hold the end links for those that are wondering/ looking for a writeup) nuts/bolts and re and re of the 2- 10mm skid plate bolts. My truck was several pounds lighter and I was ready to venture out into the world sans sway bar.

Well I can honestly say it won't be going back on! The suspension that was borderline harsh to the point where I would avoid manhole covers was now plenty soft and smooth. Soft curbs and speed bumps are soaked up so much better now. Was there extra body roll many may be wondering at this point; sure there is. But it's not significant and the smoother ride makes up for that by a mile! As and added bonus, I personally HATE understeer, which given the size of the front sway bar should be pretty much a non issue anymore so come winter I'll be ready to let the tail wag. :-D

Now I'm looking forward to getting off road to see the improvements there and wondering if removing the rear sway bar might tame the jumpy back end a little. I think the turning radius may even be a little tighter when parking. Definitely a worthy mod even on a mostly stock PRO-4X.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I stand corrected. I though there was a rear sway bar but confirmed this morning I don't have one.

I have a couple of sand bags and a bin full of tools and the back end is still pretty bouncy. But with the front much more compliant it's certainly more tolerable.

Even on the exit from my house which is off camber and about 110 degrees I can still take it at 40 km/h without any adverse body roll.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
You may want to find a deserted parking lot and work your way into a couple of emergency evasive type moves to get used to the difference in handling so you don't have any surprises if you ever actually need to perform any. You should probably take it extra slow on the exit ramps too.

#10 ·
Best advice ever. The truck handles way worse without the swaybar.

Cornering feels faster because of roll, but in reality it isn't. I have some experience road racing my other cars, so I paid particular attention the my cornering speeds and can attest that it is lower.

I also have kept mine off. Makes the 4600s feel better and the 5100s even better than that.

I've had one emergency manuver and it was quite shocking to my passengers how the truck pitched on the freeway at 65mph while avoiding an 18 wheeler tire that came off a truck.

#8 ·
I just removed mine Friday and I love it. In my opinion it handles better offroad and on. I have nisstec coilovers in the front (bil5100/eibach) set to 1.5" lift and 1.5" aal in the rear.

#9 ·
The ride is definately much better. I have way too much body roll though. Granted im lifted 7". Hahaha

#11 ·
Even with the sway bar there is more body roll with the lift.I am leaving mine on.

#14 ·
I'd like some quick disconnects. I have the Nisstec HD springs and the ride is fine, I can take speed bumps way faster than our van. The lift has given me way more up travel, so when I come down off of things the truck almost never bottoms out. The same when I hit a speed bump hard, between the stiffer spring and the increased up travel I just don't bottom out easily.

Off road, the anti sway bar keeps the low side wheel from getting traction, so it would be nice to disconnect it. It will drop into a darn inconvenient position, though, if not secured well. I'm keeping mine on for now.

#23 ·
I've disconnected mine from the links, and temporarily rotated the bar-ends upwards to avoid contact with a turned wheel or ground... if I can find a sweet-spot for the bar-ends where no contact occurs on/off-road, I might consider leaving the bar on, so as to connect it (it's just two bolts from bar to links, and quickly accomplished with an electric impact wrench) when on-road, and disconnect and rotate it up when going off-road - sounds like a PITA, but it may save me in an emergency maneuver.

#24 ·
I've considered doing the same but just too lazy. My cordless impact always comes along when I go off-road.

#26 ·
Not sure what you mean?Broke PRG links and bent the sway bar in 2014.No more sway bar.I have close to 14" of travel.Sway bar would severly restrict it. All linked trucks will roll like that.

#27 ·
The post I quoted was from 9/2014. And from the way I read it, you said you were planning on leaving the sway bar on. I believe that was then, and you have since gone sans sway bar.

I was just surprised that you would leave the SB on with your build and application of the truck. Your follow up makes more sense.

#28 ·
The race was 1192 miles long.The storms tore up the course.Being a slower vehicle we left close to last which made the course even worse.If you think a truck with 10" of travel can handle the same size whoops you are sadly mistaken.I set the truck up for high speed washboard and pavement.I have run my Dodge(7000lb) at 80+ down washboard,gotten air(not on purpose).Would I run that speed without a sway bar?No way.
Check the stock fulls and stock minis,limited travel trucks and they run
sway bars.

#30 ·
impact.