Nissan Frontier Forum banner

stock 4600

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Nissan4Life 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently scored some Pro4x take off front shocks and springs. Thanks Mfed. Seeing how mine where really sagged I decided to swap one of them on and perform some inspections. I knew my springs were sagged pretty bad and gave things a little refreshing last year.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/front-suspension-refreash-159137/

Here is a picture of what my shocks look like before

Still parked next to a stock Nismo of my same vintage it is quite a bit taller

Took about 1/2 hour to remove and an hour to reinstall. Threading the bolts into the PRG spacer was a total PITA. There is a reason why the stock set up uses studs. A tricky part of the removal was the removal of the Upper ball joint nut. The nut would just spin with the ball joint. This is what happens on an older truck there the threads on the ball joint are a little gummed up and the ball joint it self worn such that it spins freely. Can't quite get an impact on there to spin it off either. My solution was to remove the ABS line bracket and build up 3/8" universal joint and impact the nut off.

Putting in the stock 4600 with the 2" prg spacer brought me maybe an 1" of lift back. This is even with the extra rubber lift bits when I refreshed last year.

I pulled the springs off the old shock and the other new shock that I had not installed just to compare. Having done this many times now, and with the use to air tool, I can pull a coil over apart in less than 5 minutes.

The old spring is maybe an inch shorter than a stock. The picture is not a even comparison as the old spring has a thick heater hose around the bottom coil + the stock rubber isolater.

The shock was the most surprising thing. Even with all that leaked oil, it still retained its charge. The shaft took alot of effort to compress and it still rebounded. I am sure it is quite a bit less than a new one though.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Typically that stuff would have sat on a shelf for months before I did anything with it. And since I am scheduling my big suspension revamp for the summer, it would have. However Sunday was SUPER BOWL 50, my family are Bronco fans. I don't care for the watching games on TV, though I think I watched the last 10 SBs. They all went down to my inlaws, and I opted out. Having a day to myself, no wife or kids!!! Time to turn some wrenches. I would much rather wrench on my truck and drink beer than to watch TV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.