Nissan Frontier Forum banner

steering wheel "rubbing"

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gisdude 
#1 ·
I've noticed the last couple of weeks my steering wheel kind of makes a rubbing sound when turning. Not terrible, but I'd hate to have the steering go out on me while driving.

I've looked at the power steering fluid and it looks ok. I'm kinda curious, should I grease the steering column bearing? Seems like that may be it, just by me googling.

#2 ·
Possible. "Looks" ok and "Is" ok are a big difference. Has the PS fluid ever been changed? If not, it's due. almost 15 years old...

#3 · (Edited)
I've had mine since new and something started "rubbing" in the steering column after a few years. It was a very light sound, almost more perceptible through touch than hearing. Anyway, I had an extended warranty and took it in a few times. After a couple of "we can't duplicate the problem" visits, I guess they either thought they heard it or were just trying to placate me and they changed out the multifunction (turn signal / lights) stalk. That didn't fix it. I lived with it for a couple of more years probably and one day realized it went away. I guess whatever was rubbing wore away enough to stop, without anything failing thankfully. BTW, I've had the PS fluid changed once or twice and that didn't affect the rubbing; still a good idea to do though, I think.

Oh, if you do go in there be careful of that clockspring electrical connector. I've never gone into this steering column but read a recent thread about someone breaking theirs.

#4 ·
Ok, thanks guys. I may just change the PS fluid and see if that does it. Do you know if the steering column is a big job to grease the bearings.

jerryp58, you're description is EXACTLY what mine is doing. You can't hear it as much as feel it when turning. My feeling is something is getting worn down and needs to get lubed/greased. But, I've been wrong before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.