Squeaking noise - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Squeaking noise

So I have had a squeak coming from my suspension I'm pretty sure and it's annoying the crap out of me. What can it be? Do I need new shocks? My truck does have 89k on it. But someone said it could be the bushings and that's cheaper to replace. But it's everytime I go over a bump, even if it's a little one, it makes a squeak. So does anyone have any ideas of what if could be and how to fix it

2008 Nissan Frontier SE
K&N cold air intake, 3in front lift 2in rear lift, Blacked out tail lights, Magnaflow Muffler, and more to come...
Check out my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Thanked 1,043 Times in 654 Posts
could be LOTS of things given the mileage. I'd start with a can of WD-40 or something similar and hit the A-arm bushings and give it a quick drive. if it's gone its the bushings, if not hit something else and work your way down the line. takes some time and patience but eventually you'll narrow it down
here's a partial list of normal wear items that could squeak;
a-arm bushings
spring pack separators or bushings
shackle bushings
old dried out ball joints
tie rod ends
shock shafts or bushings
tail pipe hangers
loose spare tire mounts
loose body mounts
or any number of loose bolts

good luck, let us now when you find it or if you need some help narrowing it down
#3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Shift_Hardcore

TIP: Take off the suspected wheel side and lay the truck on a stand at a frame point. If its the front put a jack under the control arm and cycle the suspension up and down. Have a friend do this part. Your part is to grab a long screw driver and place it all around the suspension area with the business end, and have the handle portion up to your ear while your buddies cycling it. Ive done it and it works. For instance if you have it near the lower a arm bushings and hear a sqweek, move it to the outter part of the arm. It may be a ball joint. In this case the noise will get louder or mor definate as you get away from the bushings. Of course the exact oppisite can happen to. Do you understand what I mean???? Good luck and post up results.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Shift_Newbie

I did spray it earlier today and the noise still exists. I sprayed it awhile ago and it went away so I'm kinda mad it's still here now. Thanks guy for your input ill tell you how it goes.

2008 Nissan Frontier SE
K&N cold air intake, 3in front lift 2in rear lift, Blacked out tail lights, Magnaflow Muffler, and more to come...
#5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Yours is an '08, so TSB NTB05-117 probably doesn't apply. It's titled "SQUEAK NOISE FROM LEAF SPRING" and it involves applying lubricant to the rear leaf spring wind-up clips.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights
#6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Shift_Newbie

The sound seems to be coming from leaf springs and the front as well but the sound is stronger in the rear leaf springs

2008 Nissan Frontier SE
#7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Mine ended up being the lower ball joint. If thats the case dont get hosed by the dealer or shops that say you have to buy the whole lower arm to replace a single ball joint. You can buy the joint sepertley. Just an FYI
#8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Shift_Newbie

I'm gonna check it out this weekend, thanks for the help guys!

2008 Nissan Frontier SE

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.