Nissan Frontier Forum banner

A different tire size question for CST lift owners?

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cstone 
#1 ·
I am leaning toward a spindle lift instead of a spacer and I wanted some opinions on minimum tire size. I don't want to compromise MPG by using the biggest tire possible, but rather the opposite. I actually was curious to your opinions on what is the smallest tire I could run without looking out of per portion? Maybe even smaller then the 285 that most seem to run. Anyone have info or pics?

#3 ·
Don't be this guy...

Lifted trucks (more than just a couple inches) look wrong with small tires. I have a 2.5" lift with 265/75/16 tires on my truck and they are a little too small IMO even with 1.5" less than the spindles will give you. I made the mistake of buying tires before lifting and didn't want to hack up my fenders and now I'm too stubborn and cheap to take a huge loss selling my tires used and buying another set so I'm stuck with them for now. Here's a pic of my truck to help you visualize:

Another thought, you said you're concern with larger tires is MPG loss... You do realize that lifting the truck 4" will have a negative effect on MPGs too right?

#6 ·
The 255/85/16 that mtaylor suggested is probably going to be your best bet if you want to keep as many MPGs as possible while not looking awkward. Be aware that they are a tall & skinny tire, which many people find unappealing. In the majority of conditions that most people put their trucks, tall & skinny tires perform well, but they do suffer in conditions which demand floatation such as deep powdery snow, deep loose sand, and (from what I understand) most types of deep mud. Personally I would not go with less than 33" tires with that much lift. I'm not a fan of the tall & skinny look personally so my vote is for 285/75/16 but that will definitely impact MPGs in a negative way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.