Dakar Leafs - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
those are med. duty leaf spring right? I'm loking to get some, but cannot find any information about load capacity. I know that they're suppose to better handle a constant load up to 400lbs, but what about MAX load? Do they help haul heavier loads?

I believe those are MD springs with a load rating of 150-400lbs over stock. I have the HD springs and they are rated 440-880lbs over stock. I don't think I would want to go over the upper number given to be honest, as the ride degrades quickly as you reach it, since you'll be riding on the overload leaves which are much harsher riding than the rest of the pack. Mine without a doubt helped with heavier loads. I had about 650-700lbs over the rear with the stock pack and with the new Dakars and the ride quality and squat is substantially better with the Dakar's. Both loaded and unloaded the truck rides better than stock.

2007 KC NISMO-4X Auto Jan 2013 TOTM Desert Camping Truck Round 2
2005 KC SE Auto 4x2 Totaled, missed, loved Desert Camping Truck Round 1
Comprehensive DIY Audio Research/Install Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to glamisdude For This Useful Post:
chijusa (11-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here is a good review of the Dakar's check it out if you want more info.
Who got black ops 2 for the ps3??

Old Man Emu Rear Suspension & Lift for the Nissan Frontier - Adventure Parents

BEAST!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stezzyfrontiers23 For This Useful Post:
chijusa (11-14-2012)
#13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Thanks guys! So with the HD springs in the rear, ride is quite comfortable? With oem leaf pack, ride ir pretty nice when new, but when sagged, it become harsher. And with small to medium load, it become smoother (doesn't bump" on the overload spring??).
I now have a LEER cap (150lbs), stuff on the bed every time (tools, some gears, emergency kit, about 50lbs, maybe a little more). Often my dogs (160 lbs total). Tow a horse 15-20 times a year, and load hay and firewood few times a year...
No aftermarket bumper, maube a roof rack in the future, but not sure.

From your experience, should I go MD or HD? need better handling/riding, and don't want to bottom everything when loaded.

Thanks

2011 sv 4x4 cc long bed. Sky is the limit on modding, but i strongly recommand to stay on the ground with our trucks...
#14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chijusa View Post
Thanks guys! So with the HD springs in the rear, ride is quite comfortable? With oem leaf pack, ride ir pretty nice when new, but when sagged, it become harsher. And with small to medium load, it become smoother (doesn't bump" on the overload spring??).
I now have a LEER cap (150lbs), stuff on the bed every time (tools, some gears, emergency kit, about 50lbs, maybe a little more). Often my dogs (160 lbs total). Tow a horse 15-20 times a year, and load hay and firewood few times a year...
No aftermarket bumper, maube a roof rack in the future, but not sure.

From your experience, should I go MD or HD? need better handling/riding, and don't want to bottom everything when loaded.

Thanks
I'll say this, with all the weight I had over the rear I was not even close to bottoming. I was just beginning to feel the overloads which = slight bumping. It sounds like you won't be as close to that weight for daily driving so I would probably stick with the MD springs. But call nisstec and they can really discuss with you the pros and cons of each.

2007 KC NISMO-4X Auto Jan 2013 TOTM Desert Camping Truck Round 2
2005 KC SE Auto 4x2 Totaled, missed, loved Desert Camping Truck Round 1
Comprehensive DIY Audio Research/Install Guide
#15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Shift_lurker

I had some extra time this afternoon and went down to the Home Depot to get a torque wrench rated up to 200lb. for the install. Thought i would also show everyone else the tools needed for this: 17 mm socket for the rear shackle, 3/4 inch front eye, 18 mm for the u-blot nuts, and 7/8 for the new u-blot nuts, jack stands, jack, breaker bar, some lubricant, and a Chilton for torque specifications. Have 2008 SE so I dont know if this will be accurate for all other models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121119_140011.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	39708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121119_142954.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	39709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121119_140505.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	39710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121119_141759.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	822.6 KB
ID:	39711  

BEAST!
#16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

thanks for all info! That will help alot when doing mine next spring. ARB emailed me back today, and they told me that considering towing they would recommand me HD springs, but comparing to original, the MD springs would be a nice upgrade for sure.

The other thing they explained in the Email, is that lift rating on the site is with a empty truck if I understand well. They told me that the MD springs would give me about .75 to 1 " lift with the constant weight I have, but the HD would give me a full 2" lift.

And they both increase total weight capacity of leaf pack, so better capacity to handle max load of the truck. ( they cannot say increasing load capacity I guess!!!).

Will have to decide which one I'll choose regarding my use. All your info will help alot.

2011 sv 4x4 cc long bed. Sky is the limit on modding, but i strongly recommand to stay on the ground with our trucks...
#17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sly Tuna
Those appear to be 2-3* shims not blocks. Leave them on unless you want drive-line vibration.

2013 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X KC. 6spd. White
2011 Frontier S. KC. 5spd. White.
Tinted Windows, Bed Liner, 1-1/4" Wheels Spacers, Bully Dog-Triple Dog GT with blend mount.
1978 Datsun 620 Pickup, KC, Orange, l20, SSS SU carbs, ZX 5spd.
#18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Tuna View Post
Those appear to be 2-3* shims not blocks. Leave them on unless you want drive-line vibration.
Exactly. The shims are there to rotate your differential by a couple degrees. This puts the driveshaft back in the optimum lineup with the differential. Every couple degrees off throws the rotation off causing vibrations. You will be alright without them; but they might improve your ride.

#19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Shift_lurker

So thats what those shims are for. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to use the shims because then i would be over stretching the shocks. Im going to test it out and if the vibration is really bad I'll reinstall the shims and get some 5125's from RPG.

BEAST!
#20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mandangalo
Shims don't provide any lift

2007 CC LE UPREV, Injen CAI, Bassani Cat-Back exhaust, WRP IMS, CP, OME light duty coils, Bilstein Adj. Struts, Alcan custom leaf pack, Bilstein 5129 rear shocks, Access Vanish Bed Cover, Pioneer Avic Z2

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.